Jeff Jacobs: As college hockey tournament becomes reality, Connecticut should embrace our own Beanpot (or Connecticut Ice) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: As college hockey tournament becomes reality, Connecticut should embrace our own Beanpot (or Connecticut Ice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From an email I received:

>>SNY Announces Connecticut Ice at Webster Bank Arena

Connecticut's four NCAA Division I men's college hockey teams to square off in tournament for the first time

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (March 25, 2019) - SNY and Webster Bank Arena announced today their plans for a first-of-its-kind weekend hockey festival, Connecticut Ice. The inaugural three-day festival celebrating youth, amateur and collegiate hockey in the state of Connecticut will take place Friday, January 24 through Sunday, January 26, 2020 in Bridgeport.

The multi-day festival will include a Mites Cross-Ice Jamboree for 6-8-year old’s, youth tournaments of which the championship games in three divisions (Boys 12U and 10U and Girls 12U) will take place on the Webster Bank Arena ice, and high school and prep school rivalry games. The festival will also include on-ice clinics and off-ice seminars for youth players and their families in conjunction with USA Hockey. All of this hockey activity will surround the first-ever tournament pitting Connecticut’s four NCAA Division I Men’s Collegiate hockey teams against each other. Quinnipiac University, Sacred Heart University, University of Connecticut and Yale University will square off in a two-round, four game-tournament with all games broadcast LIVE on SNY.

“We are very pleased to announce Connecticut Ice and to bring this festival to the City of Bridgeport,” said Steve Raab, President, SNY. “Connecticut’s love for hockey is tremendous and the opportunity for it to be a catalyst for us to make a major, positive impact in the state is exciting. This annual festival would not be possible without the enthusiastic support already pledged by every part of the state’s hockey community.”

“The Connecticut Hockey Conference is excited to play an integral part in Connecticut Ice. Whether it’s the youth clinics and tournaments being offered or the Connecticut Division I College Tournament, there’s something for every one of the 13,000 Connecticut Hockey Conference players and their families. This is a tremendous opportunity to celebrate and showcase the Connecticut Hockey Community,” added Chuck Wilkerson, President of the Connecticut Hockey Conference.

In addition to the collegiate tournament, SNY will produce exclusive content about all elements of the festival that will be featured on SNY, SNY.TV and SNY’s social media pages.

Festival Weekend Schedule (Tentative):

Friday, January 24, 2020
1:00 – 4:00pm – Mites Cross Ice Jamboree
4:30 – 6:00pm – Girls U12 Championship
6:30 – 8:00pm – Connecticut Prep School Championship
8:30 – 10:00pm – Connecticut High School Championship

Saturday, January 25, 2020
11:30am – 1:00pm – Squirts Boys Championship
1:30 – 3:00pm – USA Hockey On-Ice Clinic – U12-U14 (Skills, Checking, Goaltending)
4:00 – 6:30pm – SNY COLLEGE TOURNAMENT GAME 1
7:30 – 10:00pm – SNY COLLEGE TOURNAMENT GAME 2

Sunday, January 26, 2020
11:30am – 1:00pm – Peewee Boys Championship
1:30 – 2:30pm – USA Hockey On-Ice Clinic – Girls
3:30 – 6:00pm – COLLEGE TOURNAMENT CONSOLATION – TBD v. TBD
7:00 – 9:30pm – COLLEGE TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP – TBD v. TBD

Tickets for the inaugural Connecticut Ice Festival are on sale now via: sny.tv/CTice
Discounted ticket packages are available for all Connecticut Youth Hockey League families, as well as for students from the four participating colleges. Group ticket rates are also available for groups of 15 or more. Regular price two-day passes for Saturday, January 24 and Sunday, January 25 are $35.00 for kids (18 & under) and $70.00 for adults. General admission tickets for Friday night’s high school rivalry games will be available at the Webster Bank Arena Box Office.

For more information on Connecticut Ice please go to: www.SNY.tv/CTice<<

Reaction Score
So I clicked on the link to tickets, and they have 2 dedicated sections for each team. It appears that's it's all general admission within these sections. Has anyone else looked at this yet??

Reaction Score
I am laughing at the name of the "festival". On the bright side, people will realize SHU plays affordable, solid hockey at that arena.

Reaction Score
Whatever is on the site is almost 100 after fees. What a joke. Maybe it should be priced at 50 for a 3 day pass? Have to wonder how well this will sell with a corny name for the event and high prices.

Freaking AHL teams here should also lower prices. Maybe that'll help with attendance.

Last edited:

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Affordable? Not at those prices for a 2-day package Quinnipeac and Yale fans will have no interest in. Love the concept, skeptical of the execution

Reaction Score
Probably going to take a couple of tries to get the execution just right but the concept is sound. Bring in as many folks as possible around the college tourney. Not sure Sat Sunday is the best timing but it might work.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I had jokingly come up with the Steady Habits Invitational Tournament (The acronym is the mildly funny part). But outside of that, I didn't have any real catchy suggestions. Would like to stay away from using Pot in the name.
Maybe....
Charter Oak Cup
Nutmegger Trophy
Other ideas?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I had jokingly come up with the Steady Habits Invitational Tournament (The acronym is the mildly funny part). But outside of that, I didn't have any real catchy suggestions. Would like to stay away from using Pot in the name.
Maybe....
Charter Oak Cup
Nutmegger Trophy
Other ideas?
Connecticut Cup....simple and to the point.

Reaction Score
Maybe....
Charter Oak Cup
Nutmegger Trophy
Other ideas?
The 3 schools along the coast will argue the use of the Charter Oak is too Hartford-centric.

The Barnum Cup? Give SHU a boost, what does everyone have to lose, besides UConn, since we can't beat em.

Reaction Score
Maybe....
Charter Oak Cup
Nutmegger Trophy
Other ideas?
Ever since I heard the idea of a "Connecticut Beanpot" the first idea that popped into my head was Nutmeg Cup. I've heard Nutmeg Classic. I like any name that when you hear it, people think CT. The Taxes Cup just doesn't cut it. The Chowder Pot? (just kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom