Jeff Jacobs: As college hockey tournament becomes reality, Connecticut should embrace our own Beanpot (or Connecticut Ice) | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: As college hockey tournament becomes reality, Connecticut should embrace our own Beanpot (or Connecticut Ice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: As college hockey tournament becomes reality, Connecticut should embrace our own Beanpot

>>At long last, it appears to be happening. According to multiple sources, the four Connecticut Division I men’s hockey teams are set to play in a two-day tournament on a Friday and Saturday in late January 2020 at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.

The tournament agreement is said to be for two years and that SNY is involved in the presentation of the event. A press conference is expected in the coming weeks.<<

What: All-Connecticut Division I college hockey tournament
When: Jan. 24-25, 2019
Where: Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport
Who: Yale, Quinnipiac, UConn, Sacred Heart
Name: To be determined, but possibilities include Connecticut Cup or Nutmeg Cup or Taylor Tournament (named after former Yale coach Tim Taylor).
Future: Schools have reportedly agreed to a two-year trial in Bridgeport. The tournament could rotate to the XL Center in Hartford or to campus rinks at Yale and Quinnipiac.
Model: Boston’s Beanpot, which features Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, and Harvard playing at the TD Garden the first two Mondays in February. The tournament began in 1952.

Reaction Score
Cant wait
Never been to Bridgeports rink what's the seating capacity?
How is the place?

Reaction Score
Cant wait
Never been to Bridgeports rink what's the seating capacity?
How is the place?

Place is sweet. Been to plenty of sound tiger games and a few UConn games. Plus the NCAA hockey regional last year.

8,412 according to wiki
Good seating.
Single concourse
Horseshoe set-up(seats behind both nets, just can’t walk fully around rink on the concourse)
Good food and beer(two roads stand)
Irish bar in front of arena and a newer BBQ place kinda tucked up in a corner.

Glad they are rotating. I’m not so sure on the Yale or QU rinks. Granted they are sweet barns, but WAY to small for this tourney.

The beanpot isn’t played @ conte, Matthews, Agganis, or the Harvard rinks...

Split between XL and WBA.
Or at least 2-1-2-1

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Love the idea of the tournement and playing in Bridgeport, but think it's safe to assume Yale and Quinnipeac wont (ever) be playing each other in the opening round (the Beanpot rotates all first first round matchups over three years). Also hope this won't diminish the opportunity to regularlly schedule the ECAC schools.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Long, long, long, long overdue.

Agreed. Now we just have to learn to beat these teams on a regular basis. I’m especially tired of losing to Sacred Heart. I do like the idea of calling it the Connecticut Cup. We used to have a rugby tourney by that name every year.
9872F4F4-743E-4FCD-A2B6-7E4B3BDF6A7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the idea but it will NEVER be comparable to the Beapot. Too much history, animosity, predjudice, and don’t forget that when the Beanpot started the 4 schools all used the Boston Arena, now Mathews as their home ice. I’d like to see this develop into a regular thing but guessing Yale will be the problem unless the Ivies add games. Maybe you let them count QU as a league game if they meet in the first round. Makes the problem a little more manageable

Reaction Score
Never been to Bridgeports rink what's the seating capacity? How is the place?
About 10K, relatively basic arena and amenities appropriate for area, proximity to the City, etc. Easy train access and aside from 95’s typical challenges, right off of the highway.

When CT eventually stops slapping lipstick on the Hartford pig, an updated version of Webster Bank arena will be a reasonable model.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
now this is exciting news. yeppers, that's sum good mulch right thar.
if ever a subject screamed 'new thread' it's this one --"Tournament Name?"
how aboot 'The Connecticut Classic?' or mayhaps "The PondIce Palooza?"
"YUQS Smackdown" seems a bit undignified. whatever it's called, i'm there. noice.

Reaction Score
I like the idea but it will NEVER be comparable to the Beapot. Too much history, animosity, predjudice, and don’t forget that when the Beanpot started the 4 schools all used the Boston Arena, now Mathews as their home ice. I’d like to see this develop into a regular thing but guessing Yale will be the problem unless the Ivies add games. Maybe you let them count QU as a league game if they meet in the first round. Makes the problem a little more manageable
That’s a definite problem. The Ivies only get 7 non-league games so Yale might not want to give up 2 every year. QU and Yale are also a guaranteed sell-out so the schools, particularly Quinnipiac, which sees Yale as a rival more than vice versa, may be reticent to give up a league home game.

Reaction Score
That’s a definite problem. The Ivies only get 7 non-league games so Yale might not want to give up 2 every year. QU and Yale are also a guaranteed sell-out so the schools, particularly Quinnipiac, which sees Yale as a rival more than vice versa, may be reticent to give up a league home game.
Agree there's a 0% chance Yale or QU gives up a conference game against the other as a neutral site game. These would have to be OOC games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
and aside from 95’s typical challenges, right off of the highway.

But that's a big aside. The one time I went to an event there, it took me 75 minutes from when I was stopped on I-95 until I parked the car. Less than 2 miles.

Reaction Score
About 10K, relatively basic arena and amenities appropriate for area, proximity to the City, etc. Easy train access and aside from 95’s typical challenges, right off of the highway.

When CT eventually stops slapping lipstick on the Hartford pig, an updated version of Webster Bank arena will be a reasonable model.

I've seen a number of folks saying the XL Center is "aging" or "needs replacement" ... OK, and now, a pig. I kind of like the XL, and haven't noticed anything broken-down about it. But perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Is it structurally unsound? Are there some bad seats?

Reaction Score
I've seen a number of folks saying the XL Center is "aging" or "needs replacement" ... OK, and now, a pig. I kind of like the XL, and haven't noticed anything broken-down about it. But perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Is it structurally unsound? Are there some bad seats?

Not looking to turn a thread about a long awaited CT college hockey tourney into another thread about the XL Center shortcomings but it took hosting a NCAA Basketball Tournament weekend to get the long broken escalators functional again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's just mush from Hartford haters that don't go to games.

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart was up 9-2 late in the third before 2 soft goals to shorten the lead to a final score of 9-4, defeating RIT in the first game of the AHC QFs. SHU is playing solid.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The internal support systems are largely dying. HVAC, A/V, Electrical, ice plant. The physical rink's fine, they redid that a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Cracked paint/concrete, broken seats (despite recent replacement), small bathrooms, old plexiglass attachments, poor arena lighting, lack of box seating, poor locker rooms. Visit any one of BU, Lowell, UNH, PC, and BC and none have these problems. Of those that do - NU and UVM just had or will have major renovations and along with Maine all are miles ahead of XL in the charm factor. The places are old, but people and players love seeing games there.

Merrimack and UMass are the only two Hockey East schools with facilities definitively worse than XL - and there's a solid argument to be made that XL's location off campus puts it squarely at the bottom of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom