Jeff Jacobs article | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I see another thread on some tweets from JJ, which are also included in his article, but his headline is
Listen To The Best: Bring Back The UConn-Tennessee Matchup

We've discussed this at length, but Jacobs has a bullier pulpit than we do, so it if worth discussing again.

I continue to have mixed feelings about it, and respect for those who are opposed (especially those who have been personally involved, and not in a positive way), but I think Jeff makes a good point.

Someday (and that day is not today), Tennessee might not be the top tier team it has been for years.

Someday, as hard as this is to believe) the came may be true of UConn (Geno won't coach forever, and he'll be hard to replace)

Let's not wait until, like an over the hill aging boxer who decides to try again, the series is more of a fading rock stars tour than an event in itself.

Let's renew it while both teams are at or near the top. For the good of the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess my feeling is for the near future it will happen first in the NCAAs where neither side need make 'concessions'. After that, starting up a regular season thing will be easier. And right now like when the series ended all the hype would have nothing to do with WCBB - it would be Geno/Pat 24/7 and while some of that would be on a positive note, most of it would not.
Just don't think we need the freak show right now.
I do think that if it happens, it will come about with pressure from the former players of both programs.
(And by the way - Geno has a very long memory for what he considers slights/disrespect. There was a coach who would not play him back in the late 80s/early 90s when Uconn was building, and he refused to ever schedule them once Uconn was established and they wanted to play.)

Reaction Score
I'd suggest Candace speak with the Tennessee coaches about making apologies to UConn if she's truly interested in series resumption.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I, for one, think that the ship has sailed on the whole UConn/Tennessee "for the good of the game" argument. I think that was one thing that Pat Summit got right. Without that game occupying the collective college consciousness other UConn games became the big rivalries of the season. There are better OOC to schedule.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
This January will make seven years since the last game between the two: Jan 6, 2007. A new generation of fans and players know little about the rivalry except the "it used to be."

So, before we reschedule the game, let's make sure Tennessee is a solid top 4 team - 'cause looking at the youth and talent of the current corp of UConn players, a "revival" would look more like a vivisection -- and that would be NO good for the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This January will make seven years since the last game between the two: Jan 6, 2007. A new generation of fans and players know little about the rivalry except the "it used to be."

So, before we reschedule the game, let's make sure Tennessee is a solid top 4 team - 'cause looking at the youth and talent of the current corp of UConn players, a "revival" would look more like a vivisection -- and that would be NO good for the game.
As Peachbaskets once said on here, "When I hear “Tennessee” and “revival” in the same sentence, the only things that come to mind are snakes and tambourines."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom