Jeff Goodman on Daniel Hamilton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman on Daniel Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He forms strong opinions, which he is not shy about sharing, from very little information and doesn't seem to admit he was wrong. He's very arrogant.
I believe you have just paraphrased the official job description for most on-air and print/media positions at ESPN.

Reaction Score
I believe you have just paraphrased the official job description for most on-air and print/media positions at ESPN.
That is true. You have a good point. Some of them are more irritating than others though. Goodman is way up there on the irritating meter.

On a related note. Gottlieb seems to be better since he left ESPN. He doesn't annoy me as much now.

Reaction Score
He's saying the run was a fluke. It's been a flukey 16 years eh?

Can't be a fluke, just based on what we did to Florida. You could perhaps make excuses for us reaching the Final Four (Villanova was overrated, Niang was out for Iowa State, Michigan State was at MSG). Then we got there, got punched in the mouth by Florida for 10 minutes, and knocked them out cold with total domination (minus one brief Patric Young flurry, which equates to the final flops a fish makes when it's pulled on the boat). At that point, there's nothing you can say other than "this team is the goods". Dominating Kentucky for most of the way (except when Boat and DD were sitting with foul trouble) further cemented that statement.

I'd go so far as to say that the last 30 minutes against Florida and the first 10 against Kentucky might be the best 40-minute stretch of basketball in UConn history.

So take that, words in Goodman's mouth!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Can't be a fluke, just based on what we did to Florida. You could perhaps make excuses for us reaching the Final Four (Villanova was overrated, Niang was out for Iowa State, Michigan State was at MSG). Then we got there, got punched in the mouth by Florida for 10 minutes, and knocked them out cold with total domination (minus one brief Patric Young flurry, which equates to the final flops a fish makes when it's pulled on the boat). At that point, there's nothing you can say other than "this team is the goods". Dominating Kentucky for most of the way (except when Boat and DD were sitting with foul trouble) further cemented that statement.

I'd go so far as to say that the last 30 minutes against Florida and the first 10 against Kentucky might be the best 40-minute stretch of basketball in UConn history.

So take that, words in Goodman's mouth!
Yea I mean let's be clear here, I got blocked from Goodman's twitter account for arguing with Jeff Goodman. I'm not in his camp :D

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We were, what, plus 20 against Florida in that span and then built a 15-point lead against Kentucky? The postseason and preseason No. 1 teams back to back on a neutral court? Yes, that sounds about right.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say we were overrated or that the championship run was a fluke, but let's not act like the team was a world beater all season. They had their rough patches, and were appropriately ranked going into the tournament.

The seeding on the other hand...

Reaction Score
One thing people forget about last year's team is that Deandre Daniels had a big injury and missed games, and momentum. He played well tos tart the season, was very rusty when he came back, and he really rounded into form the last 8 or 9 games. People were not expecting what Daniels gave UConn. They weren't expecting what Boatright gave. Kromah and Giffey provided the seasoning on that lethal brew of Daniels-Napier-Boatright.

Looking back, people should not be surprised.

I also laugh when people like Stephen A. and Barkley and many others talk about Calipari's game-changing decision to go to the zone in the first half. Many of these analysts missed how Daniels and one other player left the game with 2 fouls, which quickly lead to a UK run.

Because UConn isn't scrutinized like other schools, people are simply not aware of which of our players was playing well prior to injury, or heck even in the NC, they didn't notice our stud PF going out of the game early with 2 fouls.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Goodman's new view of Hamilton:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/dailyword141218/daily-word

"Jeff Goodman: Hamilton is the guy. Tremendous talent who has really matured in his overall game. I remember seeing him a couple of years ago and he was primarily a shot-taker (and not necessarily a shot-maker). Now he does everything, makes good decisions -- and has almost been too passive. If Duke finds a way to contain Boatright, Hamilton will have to be aggressive in looking for his own for UConn to have a chance to win."

Reaction Score
Goodman's new view of Hamilton:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/dailyword141218/daily-word

"Jeff Goodman: Hamilton is the guy. Tremendous talent who has really matured in his overall game. I remember seeing him a couple of years ago and he was primarily a shot-taker (and not necessarily a shot-maker). Now he does everything, makes good decisions -- and has almost been too passive. If Duke finds a way to contain Boatright, Hamilton will have to be aggressive in looking for his own for UConn to have a chance to win."
Nice to see for once that Goodman admit he was wrong. So he couldn't have predicted that Hamilton's game would mature?

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Nice to see for once that Goodman admit he was wrong. So he couldn't have predicted that Hamilton's game would mature?

I'm not sure he admitted he was wrong. I think his point is that Hamilton has improved since Goodman declared him a chucker. This would be more along the lines of admitting to being wrong:

"Jeff Goodman: Hamilton is the guy. Tremendous talent who has really matured in his overall game, like young players are expected to do. I remember seeing him in one summer game a couple of years ago and he was primarily a shot-taker (and not necessarily a shot-maker that game), but it would be foolish to form, and repeatedly voice, an opinion based on one meaningless summer game. Watching him now, in games that actually count, he does everything, makes good decisions -- and has almost been too passive. If Duke finds a way to contain Boatright, Hamilton will have to be aggressive in looking for his own for UConn to have a chance to win. I have to admit, my initial take on Hamilton's game couldn't have been further from what I see from him now in a UConn uniform."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom