Jeff Goodman is a closet fan of Uconn | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman is a closet fan of Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He must be. He can't stop talking about us.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jef...63/goodman-whos-in-trouble-for-the-2014-class

"Kevin Ollie, Connecticut Huskies

Ollie needs a point guard desperately, and there aren’t many high-level guys left on the board. Shabazz Napier will graduate, and you never know whether Ryan Boatright will try to leave after his junior season. Then the option might be using NC State transfer at the point -- and that’s an experiment that no one in Storrs wants to see. UConn has plenty of wings (Omar Calhoun, DeAndre Daniels, Purvis and commit Daniel Hamilton), but the need is at the point and also up front, where there isn’t much in the program."

Reaction Score
He's a dink. Arrogant pr!ck that thinks he knows everything. If UConn stops beating his alma mater maybe he'll like them!

Reaction Score
But he's not wrong...
Well he's wrong that moving Purvis to the point is an experiment no one wants to see, since our head coach has said in newspaper articles that he wants to see it.

Reaction Score
Well he's wrong that moving Purvis to the point is an experiment no one wants to see, since our head coach has said in newspaper articles that he wants to see it.
Okay I agree with you there, but there's no doubt that if Purvis doesn't make a successful transition, we're in big trouble at the PG spot. We don't exactly know what we have with Samuel either, and there's literally no one else at this point.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
A lot in's, a lot of out's, a lot what have you's

Reaction Score
Okay I agree with you there, but there's no doubt that if Purvis doesn't make a successful transition, we're in big trouble at the PG spot. We don't exactly know what we have with Samuel either, and there's literally no one else at this point.

We were truly in big trouble at PG in 2005-06, and went undefeated without one. This time we're only in big trouble in a worst case - Boat leaves, Purvis can't play it, Samuel isn't good enough for any minutes as a soph.

The odds of all that happening are probably roughly the same as Napier needing a medical redshirt and coming back in 2014-15.

Reaction Score
In other Goodman news, he's getting lit up on twitter again from other recruiting analysts for calling Isaac Hamilton to UCLA a risk for UCLA. how is getting a 5 star from a great '13 class to fall in your lap a risk?

Reaction Score
I still can't consolidate 7 assists per game in HS with a reckless gunner. Perhaps his HS sucks at stats. But even if it should be 4 or 5, that's a lot for a scoring wing.

Reaction Score

JC moved Freeman to the 3 too... No one wanted to see it and it was a disaster.

Reaction Score
JC moved Freeman to the 3 too... No one wanted to see it and it was a disaster.

So I guess this situation, occurring 13 years later, and involving different players and coaches, will work out the same? That's too bad, I had high hopes for Rodney.

I'm sure KFree would have been less of a disaster if he had 18 months to work on being a 3 without playing in games.

Reaction Score
So I guess this situation, occurring 13 years later, and involving different players and coaches, will work out the same? That's too bad, I had high hopes for Rodney.

I'm sure KFree would have been less of a disaster if he had 18 months to work on being a 3 without playing in games.

KFree was a great player at the position he played when they won it all....anything else would have been the disaster it was whether he had 2 years or 1.......he was an undersized 4 and thrived there and nothing else!

Reaction Score
I`m pretty sure that the worst case scenario in using 18 months to transform a 5* SG Into a PG is a lot better than most schools best case scenario w/ their point guard........

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Sorry i was replying to other poster, there could be an inside joke here that's over my head

Reaction Score
KFree was a great player at the position he played when they won it all....anything else would have been the disaster it was whether he had 2 years or 1.......he was an undersized 4 and thrived there and nothing else!

Some of it is predicated on personnel. With Wrenn and Deng both proving to be far, far less than we hoped, we had Ed, Jake and Souley as solid pieces up front and nobody at the 3. Deng wasn't the 6-11 face-up 3 we thought we were getting, and Wrenn was only allowed to dress for half the season.

Free was basically doing what Donny did - playing as an undersized inside guy early, and adding perimeter skills as his career progressed (enabling him to make it in the NBA as a 3 - even playing some 2 at that level). Difference is that he had Donyell alongside him who (unlike Deng) actually could go outside and face the basket, and then had Ray at the 3 as a senior. So he could use his perimeter skills against bigs and not small forwards. Had Deng or Wrenn developed into some sort of very poor man's Donyell or Ray, it may have worked better. Instead, we didn't have the complementary pieces.

And we actually still might have made the FF if Khalid didn't sprain his ankle (we went to the BE title game before that).

Reaction Score

My point is that just b/c KO is talking about Purvis being a point in the media is not proof that it's going to work out. I don't think we would be recruiting so many PGs if we were so confident that Purvis could be the guy. I'm not saying it is definitely not going to work, but KO talking it up is not the be all end all. JC talked up Justin Brown every year too to the media knowing full well that he would never be what he claimed as he did w/ KFree. I think most of us knew that that was all lip service.

Reaction Score
Some of it is predicated on personnel. With Wrenn and Deng both proving to be far, far less than we hoped, we had Ed, Jake and Souley as solid pieces up front and nobody at the 3. Deng wasn't the 6-11 face-up 3 we thought we were getting, and Wrenn was only allowed to dress for half the season.

Free was basically doing what Donny did - playing as an undersized inside guy early, and adding perimeter skills as his career progressed (enabling him to make it in the NBA as a 3 - even playing some 2 at that level). Difference is that he had Donyell alongside him who (unlike Deng) actually could go outside and face the basket, and then had Ray at the 3 as a senior. So he could use his perimeter skills against bigs and not small forwards. Had Deng or Wrenn developed into some sort of very poor man's Donyell or Ray, it may have worked better. Instead, we didn't have the complementary pieces.

And we actually still might have made the FF if Khalid didn't sprain his ankle (we went to the BE title game before that).

Difference between Donny and KFree is that Donny had perimeter skills. KFree never had any, we knew it, the coaches knew it, and KFree knew it. But that was the only way he was going to be a pro and he threatened a transfer if he didn't get that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom