Jeff Goodman being weird with the Hurleys | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman being weird with the Hurleys

Reaction Score
awkward what if GIF by NETFLIX

Reaction Score
goodman is unbelievable. he also interviewed bobby hurley the other day and closed the interview saying "hold on a second, i heard marcus bagley just wrote another tweet and i have to go read it" -- not sure why these coaches agree to go on with him.

Reaction Score

Goodman was definitely acting goofy.. Had seen this earlier.. Even his sidekick was uncomfortable for the Hurleys.. Give DH/BH credit for rolling with it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Just so weird all around. When was this recorded? I hope before the Beard stuff. So tone deaf.

Reaction Score
Just so weird all around. When was this recorded? I hope before the Beard stuff. So tone deaf.
This was my thought...

How tone deaf can you possibly be given the Chris Beard Situation?

Also, acting like people aren't punished for things that have happened 30+ years ago...

Reaction Score
He's been buddies with them for years and they're shooting the breeze laughing and telling inside stories. The Hurley bros were talking about what it was like growing up in Jersey City fighting, getting into trouble at home etc. and Goodman asked the question messing around. Bobby was smiling and laughing and Danny took it a bit in a different direction and talked about how important his dad's discipline was for them even though they didn't really know it at the time. It was a great interview.

It's weird people think this is so weird.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
He's been buddies with them for years and they're shooting the breeze laughing and telling inside stories. The Hurley bros were talking about what it was like growing up in Jersey City fighting, getting into trouble at home etc. and Goodman asked the question messing around. Bobby was smiling and laughing and Danny took it a bit in a different direction and talked about how important his dad's discipline was for them even though they didn't really know it at the time. It was a great interview.

lol what are you talking about. Look at Dan's reaction
1670964279071.png

The reason it goes in a different direction is because Goodman sees that it was a terrible and awkward question and rephrases to "how tough was he on you"

the exchange here looks awkward as hell:

Reaction Score
View attachment 81888

The reason it goes in a different direction is because Goodman sees that it was a terrible and awkward question and rephrases to "how tough was he on you"
Dan didn't want to answer which is fine so Goodman resphrased it which is also fine, Bobby seemed to think it was funny and let Danny handle it. It's not a weird question considering what they were talking about and they're men of a certain age who grew up in Jersey City.

My dad and uncle grew up with their dad in Jersey City and went to all the same schools he did. They got hit in school and there was some hitting at home. I got the brown belt. Things used to be different and it's something we joke about as we got older.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
It is definitely a taboo topic for a lighthearted basketball podcast, but I think that most or all of the awkwardness is attributable to Goodman's misunderstanding of Dan's prior story.

Dan had just finished telling a story about how, when he was a kid, he was getting his butt whupped by an older kid when he ran home and told "Bob" who then "beat the kid's ass." Goodman's next question was whether Bob Sr. used the belt on them.

My interpretation is that Goodman thought Dan was talking about Bob Senior, since most people refer to Junior as "Bobby." Dan and Bobby's reaction was probably more of them thinking "how did we get from that story to this topic?"

Really nothing to see here, IMO.

Reaction Score

Jersey City was tough. I agree with you here and discipline from a tough dad in the old days often meant a meeting with his belt. If I had to guess my bet was that both boys met that belt at least once. I understand that flogging kids was frowned on then and now but tell that to my WWll vet dad. Never resented him for it. Hurley handled that diplomatically and very well.
My brother and I still laugh about the time we got it and the next morning found a broken piece of belt on the floor. It was like a victory for us.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

robin williams its not your fault GIF

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Dan didn't want to answer which is fine so Goodman resphrased it which is also fine, Bobby seemed to think it was funny and let Danny handle it. It's not a weird question considering what they were talking about and they're men of a certain age who grew up in Jersey City.

My dad and uncle grew up with their dad in Jersey City and went to all the same schools he did. They got hit in school and there was some hitting at home. I got the brown belt. Things used to be different and it's something we joke about as we got older.
matt damon crying GIF

Reaction Score
Dan and Bobby accounted for themselves and their programs well. Goodman is a buffoon.
That guy you're calling a buffoon is a buddy of Hurley's and probably has more access to our program than anyone, it's a good thing.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You would've been better off doing the Will Hunting thing just once. In most cases less is more with comedy.
I thought the progression of the different responses to the different posts were appropriate and proved I don’t think this funny. I care.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
That guy you're calling a buffoon is a buddy of Hurley's and probably has more access to our program than anyone, it's a good thing.
Pipe or the belt?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
View attachment 81888

the exchange here looks awkward as hell:

That was definitely weird. I wonder why he specified the use of a belt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom