Jeff Borzello's Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Borzello's Top 25

Reaction Score
Suggesting marked improvement by players in their fourth year of college basketball is ballsy. Those two are what they are and their numbers show they have damn near max'd out what they can do on a winning team.

Those are two of the players who are least likely to improve much beyond last season.
Exactly. It’s pretty easy to project what they are this season. Cole probably increases his PPG and stays around what his shooting percentages have been and Martin is a double digit scorer who will rebound and defend. I don’t see those things changing all that much.

I keep saying the X factors are guard/wing play from Gaff, Jackson, and probably Hawkins. We basically know what to expect from that frontcourt and super seniors. But the ceiling of this team is based on the play of those 3 guys really.

Reaction Score
Exactly. It’s pretty easy to project what they are this season. Cole probably increases his PPG and stays around what his shooting percentages have been and Martin is a double digit scorer who will rebound and defend. I don’t see those things changing all that much.

I keep saying the X factors are guard/wing play from Gaff, Jackson, and probably Hawkins. We basically know what to expect from that frontcourt and super seniors. But the ceiling of this team is based on the play of those 3 guys really.

That seems right, and I would maybe add Akok (I know, not a guard/wing) to Gaffney, Jackson, and Hawkins. That being said, if there ever were older guys who could take a step forward later, Cole and Martin could be those guys. One got next to no coaching his first two years and the other sat out a year and then both had last year’s stop and start season of disruption. I see it as a slight possibility but definitely not something to count on.

Reaction Score
That seems right, and I would maybe add Akok (I know, not a guard/wing) to Gaffney, Jackson, and Hawkins. That being said, if there ever were older guys who could take a step forward later, Cole and Martin could be those guys. One got next to no coaching his first two years and the other sat out a year and then both had last year’s stop and start season of disruption. I see it as a slight possibility but definitely not something to count on.
Ya I think that’s fair. I’d say the path for Cole to see a bigger jump in production is probably more likely just because there’s less bodies to compete with there. I can see a scenario where he’s averaging 15 a game. But it’s possible Martin does too, I just think it’s likely we see him somewhat close to where he was last season but would be happy to be wrong there.

Akok is going to improve no doubt, I’m expecting a nice jump for him. It’s a loaded frontcourt so I’m sort of looping him into that mix and expect that group to perform well. Just seems like if the team wants to take a big step forward/hit its ceiling it’ll be more based around the play of Gaff, Jackson, and Hawkins then Akok. Need some good guard play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A starting line up with one three point shooter. Don't see this happening.

Martin is a 3 point shooter. Even with his late slump he ended up at 32%. He will easily reach 35%. Hurley is asking him to play as a guard.

Jackson is an unknown. Whaley can shoot a little on low volume. Gaffney will play and is an improved shooter. Akok can shoot. Hawkins will shoot. We will be fine.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Martin is a 3 point shooter. Even with his late slump he ended up at 32%. He will easily reach 35%. Hurley is asking him to play as a guard.

Jackson is an unknown. Whaley can shoot a little on low volume. Gaffney will play and is an improved shooter. Akok can shoot. Hawkins will shoot. We will be fine.
Why hasn't he reached 35% in his last 3 years if he easily can do it this year? A real shooter hits 35% easily, while usually going above that.

Reaction Score
2 Title Game appearances in the last 5 years isn't doing too bad. One of the games was a blowout, the other could've gone either way. Seems a bit odd to completely write them off.
Yeah i may have been a bit harsh but i dont believe theyll win it this season,

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah i may have been a bit harsh but i dont believe theyll win it this season,
I'm not making any bold predictions. They have a number of veterans who will need to take on bigger roles (w/ the exception of Timme, who was already one of their primary scorers) and an influx of talented newcomers, never know how all of those will blend together. But if a school builds itself up to a level where Final 4/Championship Game appearances start to become regular occurrences, eventually they'll probably get a Natty.

I was just looking at this the other day. I don't know exactly what happened, but everything changed in 2015. Prior to that there had been a LONG period of 1st or 2nd round knockouts, w/ only a couple of Sweet 16s. Starting w/ '15 and moving forward, Sweet 16 has been the floor, 2 Elite 8's and 2 Runner Ups. That's a massive improvement in post season performance. Few must've figured something out. And now they are recruiting at a level that I NEVER thought would be possible there (which means they're going to be dealing w/ one and doners frequently, like everybody else had been for years).

Reaction Score
Gee, the AAC has 2 teams and the NEWBIE has 2 in the Top 25. But the NOOB is a much better league. <Cough! Cough!>. Cant wait until they add St Louis.

Reaction Score
2 Title Game appearances in the last 5 years isn't doing too bad. One of the games was a blowout, the other could've gone either way. Seems a bit odd to completely write them off.
Since 2015:

2015: Elite 8
2016: Sweet 16
2017: Runner-up
2018: Sweet 16
2019: Elite 8
2020: COVID
2021: Runner-up

Thats...that's a really good run. It's been a while since they're regular flopping. It's almost akin to saying this about Villanova. They had a similar period of flameouts, but clearly that's in the rear-view mirror.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Since 2015:

2015: Elite 8
2016: Sweet 16
2017: Runner-up
2018: Sweet 16
2019: Elite 8
2020: COVID
2021: Runner-up

Thats...that's a really good run. It's been a while since they're regular flopping. It's almost akin to saying this about Villanova. They had a similar period of flameouts, but clearly that's in the rear-view mirror.
Yeah, like I noted Few must've figured something out starting in '15. Personnel matters of course, but I think he made some significant changes in his approach to coaching, especially during the post season.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Gee, the AAC has 2 teams and the NEWBIE has 2 in the Top 25. But the NOOB is a much better league. <Cough! Cough!>. Cant wait until they add St Louis.
Except Houston is one of the two ranked teams and they are bolting the AAC for B12. Basketball in the AAC without Houston and the Bearcats with the replacements the AAC is getting will be just awful. Enjoy your two ranked teams while you can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom