Jeff Borzello's Top 25 | The Boneyard

Jeff Borzello's Top 25

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i

23. UConn Huskies

Previous: Next in line

I've been a bit lower on the Huskies than most throughout the offseason, simply because of the departure of James Bouknight. Bouknight was one of the truly elite scorers in college basketball last season, and the Huskies don't have a ready-made replacement. That said, I think UConn still has enough options to pick up the slack and should be tough on the defensive end, like most Dan Hurley-coached teams. Hurley also brings back most other key pieces from a 7-seed in the NCAA tournament and adds four ESPN 100 recruits. R.J. Cole is back to run the point and, as evidenced by his seasons of 21.4 and 23.7 PPG at Howard, can take a step forward in the scoring department. Tyrese Martin is a double-figure scorer and a terrific offensive rebounder, while shot-blockers Isaiah Whaley and Adama Sanogo, who finished the season on a tear, return as starters up front. There will be competition for places, though, with Tyler Polley, Jalen Gaffney, Andre Jackson and a healthy Akok Akok also returning. Of the newcomers, keep an eye on Jordan Hawkins. He's got length and athleticism and can make shots.

Projected starting lineup:
R.J. Cole (12.2 PPG, 4.3 APG)
Andre Jackson (2.7 PPG)
Tyrese Martin (10.3 PPG, 7.5 RPG)
Adama Sanogo (7.3 PPG)
Isaiah Whaley (8.0 PPG, 2.6 BPG)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
i

23. UConn Huskies

I've been a bit lower on the Huskies than most throughout the offseason, simply because of the departure of James Bouknight. Bouknight was one of the truly elite scorers in college basketball last season, and the Huskies don't have a ready-made replacement. That said, I think UConn still has enough options to pick up the slack and should be tough on the defensive end, like most Dan Hurley-coached teams. Hurley also brings back most other key pieces from a 7-seed in the NCAA tournament and adds four ESPN 100 recruits. R.J. Cole is back to run the point and, as evidenced by his seasons of 21.4 and 23.7 PPG at Howard, can take a step forward in the scoring department. Tyrese Martin is a double-figure scorer and a terrific offensive rebounder, while shot-blockers Isaiah Whaley and Adama Sanogo, who finished the season on a tear, return as starters up front. There will be competition for places, though, with Tyler Polley, Jalen Gaffney, Andre Jackson and a healthy Akok Akok also returning. Of the newcomers, keep an eye on Jordan Hawkins. He's got length and athleticism and can make shots.

Andre Jackson (2.7 PPG)
Adama Sanogo (7.3 PPG)

A starting line up with one three point shooter. Don't see this happening.

CL82

Reaction Score
Unless at least two of Whaley, Martin and Jackson have dramatically improved their three point shooting.

That’s why I keep wondering yes Hurley is going to abandon the metrics and look for more backdoor cuts and mid range shots of that can’t get points in transition.

Reaction Score
Unless at least two of Whaley, Martin and Jackson have dramatically improved their three point shooting.

That’s why I keep wondering yes Hurley is going to abandon the metrics and look for more backdoor cuts and mid range shots of that can’t get points in transition.
Wow. Relying on those 3 for 3's? Yikes.

Reaction Score
No way that’s our starting lineup. Switch Hawkins for Jackson would be best.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i

23. UConn Huskies

Andre Jackson (2.7 PPG)
Adama Sanogo (7.3 PPG)
That lineup isn’t happening

CL82

Reaction Score
Wow. Relying on those 3 for 3's? Yikes.
Sort of. Cole is Cole and he's decent form three. Sanogo isn't going to be taking them, so who is left of the likely starters. Unless someone makes a huge leap. Threes aren't our strength. I some say well the analytics say it is a better shot, but that is only if make them at a reasonable clip. We just need to be good enough from three to keep guys from sagging off us and clogging the lanes.

Reaction Score
Borzello’s take is pretty much where I stand as far as our expectations go. There is no doubt that we have talent and are deep, but it just seems like we always have a tough time replacing our alpha the year after they leave. The 2003 team comes to mind after Caron left for the NBA. There was serious talent on that roster, but it took a little while for that team to kind of find their identity. No doubt we win that game vs Texas in the Sweet 16 If It’s played anywhere outside the state of Texas.

Reaction Score
I think DH has enough talent to do some damage now. Cole & Martin can only get better and there’s a ton of young elite talent around them.

Reaction Score
The fact that he ranks us in the Top 25 with that starting lineup tells you how high the ceiling is for this team this year. I’m nowhere near as worried as most of you cloud yellers & chicken littles on this board

Reaction Score
I would be an above average shooter in that group. You can't play good enough defense to win with a lot of minutes with those guys together.
There have been poor shooting teams that turned out to be really good in the past. Heck remember that Florida team that won like 30 games in a row but couldnt shoot and lost to us in the F4? There are always really good teams that arent the best shooting teams.

CL82

Reaction Score
It'll be Gaffney instead of Jackson to start, then maybe Hawkins for Gaffney come January. It's not who starts anyway, but who finishes.
I’m not sure about Gaffney. He hasn’t been consistent. Rooting for him though.

Reaction Score
I see Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Whaley, Sanogo being our most likely best lineup. Akok is a real x-factor as is Jackson.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I see Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Whaley, Sanogo being our most likely best lineup. Akok is a real x-factor as is Jackson.
Ideally this is our best lineup but it's difficult to count out Martin's toughness on the boards, ability to defend multiple positions, and the fact that he averaged double digit scoring last year. He was the player, alongside Cole, Sanogo, and a couple Polley performances, that stepped up his scoring with Bouknight out. Hopefully Jackson will make a sizeable leap from last season to become a scoring threat while limiting early fouls.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think DH has enough talent to do some damage now. Cole & Martin can only get better and there’s a ton of young elite talent around them.

Suggesting marked improvement by players in their fourth year of college basketball is ballsy. Those two are what they are and their numbers show they have damn near max'd out what they can do on a winning team.

Those are two of the players who are least likely to improve much beyond last season.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Zay shot 35% from 3 on 1 attempt per game last year. His jumper has taken a step forward every year since he’s been in a UConn jersey.

Bouknight shot 30% from 3 for reference.
Whaley is going to have a Niels light season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom