Jayne Appel to retire after this season [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Jayne Appel to retire after this season [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Always liked her game, but having paid little attention to the W and especially SA, I was shocked to see her this year and did not initially recognize her. She still has a very good basketball IQ but physically she is a different player than she was. Good luck to her in her post BB life.

Reaction Score
Jane Appel was one of the most dominating centers in women's basketball of all time. Until, that is, she hurt her knee. I think it was her senior year when she came back from injury, and wasn't the powerhouse she used to be. I don't think she came close to being her pre-injury self in the WNBA.

Congratulations to her! Best of luck to her! So sorry that she was hobbled by injuries. Before that happened, she was a mighty force.

Reaction Score
Jane Appel was one of the most dominating centers in women's basketball of all time. Until, that is, she hurt her knee. I think it was her senior year when she came back from injury, and wasn't the powerhouse she used to be. I don't think she came close to being her pre-injury self in the WNBA.

Congratulations to her! Best of luck to her! So sorry that she was hobbled by injuries. Before that happened, she was a mighty force.
Yeah, I remember her as a sophomore and junior beating opposing centers (and some guards) down the floor and getting easy transition buckets. Honestly, she never got back to that fitness level after her injuries, and they probably made her a lot less effective in the pros.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I await someone to start a string of "what might have been" speculative comments, using that icy sidewalk in Hartford (that Jayne's dad slipped on) as a point of reference. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jayne was an excellent player and helped Stanford oust UConn from the tourney in Maya's first year. That caused Geno to note that "We had no post presence." Starting about a year after that, Jayne's and Tina's careers took very different trajectories.

I recall hearing about Jayne and her mother going to Weight Watchers together midway through her Stanford career. I hope Jayne is able to do that again. She is carrying about 50 extra pounds, which has impacted her play and is not good for her knees or her general health.

Best wishes to Jayne! San Antonio will have to replace her and Coach Hughes. I hope that Ruth Riley can get Moriah and KMac some quality teammates in the draft.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
$_57.JPG

"Fill your hand you son of a ....."

Reaction Score
Jayne was an excellent player and helped Stanford oust UConn from the tourney in Maya's first year. That caused Geno to note that "We had no post presence." Starting about a year after that, Jayne's and Tina's careers took very different trajectories.

I recall hearing about Jayne and her mother going to Weight Watchers together midway through her Stanford career. I hope Jayne is able to do that again. She is carrying about 50 extra pounds, which has impacted her play and is not good for her knees or her general health.

Best wishes to Jayne! San Antonio will have to replace her and Coach Hughes. I hope that Ruth Riley can get Moriah and KMac some quality teammates in the draft.

They should try and get Stef from Mystics, she would be a good fit for SA. Do not like the way Coach T is using her this year.

Reaction Score
They should try and get Stef from Mystics, she would be a good fit for SA. Do not like the way Coach T is using her this year.

I agree with this. I remember during Dolson's senior year hoe interested SA was in her. Would be an easy fit.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The list of "Should have been's" and "Might have if not's" in sports is tragically long. Sadly, Ms. Appel isn't the first nor the last. 99% of players retire because of injuries and the fact is in the DNA of sports. Yeah, a nice OT would be who was the most talented yet career underachiever in sports no matter the reason.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I await someone to start a string of "what might have been" speculative comments, using that icy sidewalk in Hartford (that Jayne's dad slipped on) as a point of reference. ;)
images

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I will remember her as a player who was, at her best, one of those very difficult match-ups. Before she was hurt, she could, and often did dominate.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

The "what might have been" speculation I had in mind had to do with Jayne's recruitment by UConn. It was sufficiently promising that Jayne and her parents made an official visit to Connecticut. A game at the then-Civic Center was on the agenda. An OOPS! moment may have closed the books on any chance that Jayne would matriculate to Storrs when Dad Appel found an icy spot on Tremont Street, slipped, fell, and broke his leg.

So let's suppose he never saw the interior of a Hartford hospital, the visit was totally successful and Jayne came to UConn. Ah, me. Hunter, Appel, Delle Donne. All slipped through Geno's fingers.

What might have been. . . .:oops:

Reaction Score
The list of "Should have been's" and "Might have if not's" in sports is tragically long. Sadly, Ms. Appel isn't the first nor the last. 99% of players retire because of injuries and the fact is in the DNA of sports. Yeah, a nice OT would be who was the most talented yet career underachiever in sports no matter the reason.
The biggest "Might have if not" that I can think of was Doc Gooden of the Mets. In his early years one of the greatest pitchers I've ever seen.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The "what might have been" speculation I had in mind had to do with Jayne's recruitment by UConn. It was sufficiently promising that Jayne and her parents made an official visit to Connecticut. A game at the then-Civic Center was on the agenda. An OOPS! moment may have closed the books on any chance that Jayne would matriculate to Storrs when Dad Appel found an icy spot on Tremont Street, slipped, fell, and broke his leg.

So let's suppose he never saw the interior of a Hartford hospital, the visit was totally successful and Jayne came to UConn. Ah, me. Hunter, Appel, Delle Donne. All slipped through Geno's fingers.

in which City is this street on (serious question)?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The biggest "Might have if not" that I can think of was Doc Gooden of the Mets. In his early years one of the greatest pitchers I've ever seen.
As a NY-er I appreciate it. But to me, J. R. Richards of Texas and Houston, Sean Kemp of the Supersonics, Bo Jackson of the Royals and the Raiders, Len Bias, Dante Culpepper of the Vikings, Bill Walton, and Tony Conigliaro are at the top of my list. All for different reasons of course, but all tragic just the same.

Reaction Score

My understanding was that Mr Appel broke his leg outside of Gampel Arena trying to find a way inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom