Jaylin Stewart Tidbit from Rob | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jaylin Stewart Tidbit from Rob

Reaction Score
Stewart has a PF mentality in a SF body.. Has no problem getting physical in the paint with the Big guys and /or taking ball outside to muscle wings/SFs.. Will provide valuable minutes early .. Transformation in his body from his senior year in HS until now is impressive.. Can see his explosion and lift to be that much more dynamic.. D and boards should get him minutes..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not sure there's room for both in the rotation. Castle, Newton, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan starting. Diarra and Johnson locked in as the only backups at the 1 and 5 already puts the rotation at 7. We're not going more than 8 or 9 deep so that leaves 1 of Ball, Ross, Stewart squeezed out
Pretty much. They’re kind of fighting for the same 3/4 spot.

Only 8 guys get consistent minutes tbh with the 9th being on a game by game basis. Even in conference last year Joey was squeezed out the rotation but reinserted during the tournament at the expense of Diarra.

The 8 guys were the starters Joey/Diarra, Alleyne, and Clingan.

This year it’s Ball/Diarra, Ross/Stewart, Samson/Singore. But it could be 10 during nonconference to get a feel for who should be the 8.

Reaction Score
On second thought, I could see that happening since you could easily split the 40 minutes at PG between Castle and Newton
This feels like the most likely scenario. Love what Diarra brings to the team defensively, but he doesn't really have point guard skills on the offensive side of the ball and you take a significant hit if he has to be the one running the offense for more than very short stretches. I assume they'll split point duties between Castle and Newton similarly to how they did last year between Castle and Jackson.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
A lot of the scouting reports mentioned a player profile similar to Bryce Hopkins. Not sure he's tall enough to legitimately play the 5, but he could certainly play the 3/4 & maybe even the 2 if needed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Welp looks like Stewart may be the freshman to step up instead of Ross. For it regardless! He seems super skilled if he can play within the offense.
I kind of expected that. Strength matters. Overly skinny forwards get abused in this league. We played against some absolute monsters last year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I kind of expected that. Strength matters. Overly skinny forwards get abused in this league. We played against some absolute monsters last year.
I assumed Ross could have a Karaban-like role who wasn’t the biggest but made it work.

But Stewart was always more skilled. It was just about being able to play within the offense which he probably has shown he can do early on based on reports.

It’ll be good to have the iso scorers we do within the offense this year. Think guys like Castle, Spence, Ball, and Stewart have that ability.

Reaction Score
This feels like the most likely scenario. Love what Diarra brings to the team defensively, but he doesn't really have point guard skills on the offensive side of the ball and you take a significant hit if he has to be the one running the offense for more than very short stretches. I assume they'll split point duties between Castle and Newton similarly to how they did last year between Castle and Jackson.
Diarra just needs to distribute the ball and he'll be fine. Surround him with Newton, Spencer, Karaban, and Clingan and he'll be a lot more effective

Reaction Score
On second thought, I could see that happening since you could easily split the 40 minutes at PG between Castle and Newton

That was what I imagined. Castle playing the 1 on offense whenever Newton sits and Spencer guarding the other teams PG. I don't think offense is the issue as much as defense without Newton. Castle can't guard college 1s.

Reaction Score
Diarra just needs to distribute the ball and he'll be fine. Surround him with Newton, Spencer, Karaban, and Clingan and he'll be a lot more effective

That lineup doesn't sound drastically different than last year when he was surrounded by Newton, Hawkins, Karaban, and Clingan at times. Diarra definitely has a role on this team, but he's pretty limited offensively. Career 35ish% from the floor, just a slightly positive A/TO ratio, below average FT shooter for a guard; but can definitely push the pace and apply pressure when he's on.

I think Diarra will be a good tool to have defensively especially against teams who have smaller, quicker PGs who our bigger guards don't match up well against. Even Newton struggled at times last year to stay in front of shiftier guards, and current evidence suggests Castle will also have some adjusting to do in that regard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure there's room for both in the rotation. Castle, Newton, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan starting. Diarra and Johnson locked in as the only backups at the 1 and 5 already puts the rotation at 7. We're not going more than 8 or 9 deep so that leaves 1 of Ball, Ross, Stewart squeezed out
Or bumping Diarra or Johnson, I guess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was what I imagined. Castle playing the 1 on offense whenever Newton sits and Spencer guarding the other teams PG. I don't think offense is the issue as much as defense without Newton. Castle can't guard college 1s.
I see Newton as being the de facto 2 guard. That is his natural position, particularly at the next level. That said, I think it's going to be a Bazz and Boat kind of situation where you have two guys who are both good facilitators and scores as needed. I am looking forward to it. We are going to be a very difficult team to defend next year.

FWIW Diarra coming in for Newton helps to mitigate the loss of Tristan's defense.

Reaction Score
I see Newton as being the de facto 2 guard. That is his natural position, particularly at the next level. That said, I think it's going to be a Bazz and Boat kind of situation where you have two guys who are both good facilitators and scores as needed. I am looking forward to it. We are going to be a very difficult team to defend next year.
We may not have the prototypical small scoring point guard we're used to but we have three guys who can handle, create, and pass and they have size. They're going to be difficult for teams to stop. Lob play to Donovan is going to be huge this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Stewart has a PF mentality in a SF body.. Has no problem getting physical in the paint with the Big guys and /or taking ball outside to muscle wings/SFs.. Will provide valuable minutes early .. Transformation in his body from his senior year in HS until now is impressive.. Can see his explosion and lift to be that much more dynamic.. D and boards should get him minutes..
I think we have forgot how little players physically developed under the prior regime.

Mainly because over the last few years we saw a drastic change w/ coach not gonna name him & Coach Mike.
Coach Gavin doesn’t get enough noted credit for some of the transformations he’s overseen. Last year DC came in & slimmed down fast. Went from a larger guy to a much more mobile & athletic big than we were expecting.

Looking at Stewart now, appears he’s just repeated history. (Much credit to the players as well for their work & dedication. )

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We may not have the prototypical small scoring point guard we're used to but we have three guys who can handle, create, and pass and they have size. They're going to be difficult for teams to stop. Lob play to Donovan is going to be huge this upcoming season.
That mid range ability Castle, Spence, and Stewart has should come in handy there too. Bigs won’t be able to drop and stick with DC without giving that shot up.

Just so much size, athleticism, and skill to work with this roster. Talent wise, it seriously may be better than last year.

Reaction Score
That mid range ability Castle, Spence, and Stewart has should come in handy there too. Bigs won’t be able to drop and stick with DC without giving that shot up.

Just so much size, athleticism, and skill to work with this roster. Talent wise, it seriously may be better than last year.
I want to crush this take. how will we replace Hawk, Dre, Adama, Joey C.

Then I remember last year people saying that last years was better than the year before. I remember ppl calling it crazy asking How will we replace RJ, Reese & Wrench.

We saw how that worked out.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget Hurley demands defense. Castle will be a much better defender in March than he and we ever imagined.

Reaction Score
I want to crush this take. how will we replace Hawk, Dre, Adama, Joey C.

Then I remember last year people saying that last years was better than the year before. I remember ppl calling it crazy asking How will we replace RJ, Reese & Wrench.

We saw how that worked out.
Right now I'm where Norlander or Parrish (forget which one said it the podcast that was posted) is. I think next year's team will be better than last year. It'll also likely end with a worse result

Reaction Score

Oh I think it's clearly a more talented roster than last year but they'll be younger and won't have the same veteran leadership. I think the biggest thing they'll miss is the two headed monster of Sanogo and Clingan. Defenses never had a chance to rest and the two bigs played so differently that teams had so much trouble reacting to it. Jackson's leadership will be missed.

If this team gets the leadership they need they can repeat because the talent is certainly there and it looks like a nice mix of veterans and youth. It's incredibly difficult to repeat though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We are, again, built like an NBA Team, both with size and what comes off the bench. The three non Castle freshman have some question marks, but aside from that, there just aren't normally college teams with NBA size across the lineup. Yes, the little quick PGs will be tough to guard, as they are in the NBA. Fine, press them outside where they can't shoot over our perimeter guys and funnel them to DC and SJ. There's a reason those little guys take pull-ups, it's really the only shot they can reliably get. Even those may get swatted from behind.

On offense, we will be an almost impossible matchup.

Reaction Score
Right now I'm where Norlander or Parrish (forget which one said it the podcast that was posted) is. I think next year's team will be better than last year. It'll also likely end with a worse result
Holy hype.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Oh I think it's clearly a more talented roster than last year but they'll be younger and won't have the same veteran leadership. I think the biggest thing they'll miss is the two headed monster of Sanogo and Clingan. Defenses never had a chance to rest and the two bigs played so differently that teams had so much trouble reacting to it. Jackson's leadership will be missed.

If this team gets the leadership they need they can repeat because the talent is certainly there and it looks like a nice mix of veterans and youth. It's incredibly difficult to repeat though.
Agreed. That center rotation and Andre Jackson’s energy, especially on defense, will be missed. I wonder who can take on the assignment of guarding the best perimeter guy.

That should be Hurley’s challenge to Castle. If he can find a way to be our best perimeter defender that just makes him an even better prospect for the NBA and us a better team of course. Even though DC should make playing defense A LOT easier for everyone on the court. Maybe the backup bigs can be great shot blockers there too.

Leadership wise I’m looking forward to seeing how Karaban and Donovan take the mantle. It’s hard to repeat but it should be a fun season regardless!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mentions Stewart as someone the staff is really happy with, says he could have an Alex type impact right away.
I like hearing this as the staff usually doesn't blow smoke. You don't know how the horse is going to run until he gets on the track.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom