Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball | The Boneyard

Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably a bit much to expect him to be as ready as Karaban was this year, but I think he'll be a contributor. Less of a shooter than Alex a the same stage, but has a bit more handle and a mor ediverse scoring package. Really excited to have him on campus

Reaction Score
Figured Jaylin might have been chillin' with some of Joey C's posse from Cali.

Reaction Score

Play at 0:32 is really, really good body control. He isn't a freak vertical athlete, but the kid is coordinated as hell.

I suspect he'll be a lower % shooter for a bit as he adjusts to the game his freshman year, but he has a TON of options on offense creating his shot. We need to get him reps. Bag is deep... very different than any other player we have right now. Shot creation for a 6'7 kid is a luxury in college basketball that few teams have. Criminally underrated.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The good news about winning is that it would be unlikely anyone changes their mind about being a part of what we got going on.
And they are all signed anyway! Still...

Reaction Score
Everything I see about Jaylin - 6'7, composure, ball skills, craftiness, bbIQ... I've finally figured out his comp

Alex Karaban

Very different players IMO other than size.

Karaban was a much better shooter and passer at the same stage... more of a low-usage kind of player who is super effecient. I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 50/40/90 some day. He isn't going to do much off the dribble other than straight line drives attacking a close-out. He's a stretch-4 and can play the 3 in a pinch.

Stewart has a huge bag of off-the dribble moves... step-backs, euros, side-steps, etc. that Karaban doesn't have. Shot creation is the name of Stewart's game. He isn't nearly as efficient shooting the ball and turns it over more. Offensively, I see him functioning as a crafty backup 3 to Jackson next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play the 2 in a pinch, depending on defensive matchups.

Reaction Score

Karaban was a much better shooter and passer at the same stage... more of a low-usage kind of player who is super effecient. I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 50/40/90 some day. He isn't going to do much off the dribble other than straight line drives attacking a close-out. He's a stretch-4 and can play the 3 in a pinch.

Stewart has a huge bag of off-the dribble moves... step-backs, euros, side-steps, etc. that Karaban doesn't have. Shot creation is the name of Stewart's game. He isn't nearly as efficient shooting the ball and turns it over more. Offensively, I see him functioning as a crafty backup 3 to Jackson next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play the 2 in a pinch, depending on defensive matchups.

Those differences are real - I think i more meant their approach because he just plays so in control and self-assured, nothing is fast or overheated. I see him being a high efficiency guy just like Karaban.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

Caron Butler as the closest UConn comp. Paul Pierce as a comp in general(I'm really high on this kid)

Caron 6'7
Pierce 6'6
Stewart listed 6'6 or 6'7 every other article

Great shot creator and a good passer off the dribble. Great size for a wing and deceptive athleticism. Has a knack for getting to his spots in the midrange. Reportedly can score from anywhere on the floor. Haven't seen much full-game footage to comment on his defense, but the fact that you think he can play some 2 as a freshman at 6'6/6'7 speaks to his ability to move east to west well enough. I repeat, REALLY high on this recruit.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Donny Marshall said he had a relative (cousin) from the West Coast coming next year so this must be the kid.
I was watching live when Donny mentioned Jaylen being his cousin. Donny seemed surprised that Jaylen picked UConn.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
First WA state recruit since '99 according to the article posted a few back.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Probably a bit much to expect him to be as ready as Karaban was this year, but I think he'll be a contributor. Less of a shooter than Alex a the same stage, but has a bit more handle and a mor ediverse scoring package. Really excited to have him on campus
Alex and Akok were contributors right away because they came in during the second semester and got a jump with the team. Hopefully that happens again with one of the recruits, although idk if it’s possible due to scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom