2021 Recruiting: - Jaylen Blakes | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Jaylen Blakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Full article here.

"UConn has also been involved, and assistant Tom Moore watched Blakes and sophomore guard Kyle Cuffe Jr. on Friday. The Huskies are also recruiting Patrick School junior forward Samson Johnson."

“They’re definitely interested,” Blakes said. “The Big East is a high-level conference. I’m just looking at what they’re doing there and what they’re building. I played against [UConn guards James] Bouknight and [Jalen] Gaffney last year. They have a good program over there.”

Reaction Score
Yes please! We need a shooter. If he was in the 6'3 to 6-5 range, he'd be perfect.

I'd take him though, beggars can't be choosers.

Reaction Score
A smart, four-year program guy who can come in right away as a microwave scorer off the bench? Sign me up!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Yes please! We need a shooter. If he was in the 6'3 to 6-5 range, he'd be perfect.

I'd take him though, beggars can't be choosers.
He is 6’3.

Reaction Score
He's beefy already too. We need more guys that come in with already muscular frames. Seems like every team we play in conference is loaded with guys like that!

Reaction Score
Let's get him! I thought his 247 profile said he was 6'1".

..which probably means he’s 5’11” :eek::eek:

FWIW this zags article says he’s 6’2”.

Reaction Score
He’s 5 feet 10” without sneakers.
I saw him this summer. Guy on left.

1579088480933.png

dantheman

@instorrsnow
Reaction Score
Saw Jaylen play in both games he reference with bouk and gaffney last year and was EXTREMELY impressed.

He was undersized from a height factor but has a strong/wide build with great body control and awareness. He refuses to stop moving without the ball and the threat of his outside shot really opened up blair’s offense.

Speaking of which, coming from Blair, you know he is going to be extremely well coached which is a very underated factor to consider.

Montegna runs a college type program at the high school level.

Not to draw two threads together here, but reviewing Caron’s statements on his podcast about prior alumni’s involvment (or lack thereof) following the Ollie mess, I wonder where Charlie V stands on that spectrum? We certainly want him to be actively involved with anything Blair recruitment related.

dantheman

@instorrsnow
Reaction Score
Dug up my notes from 2018 against Macduffie Prep (Bouknight).

“impressive young gun off the bench, unafraid to immediately fire away”

21 pts in limited time as a sophomore- 5-7 3pt

really opened up the offense. Abdur rahim was a non-factor until Blakes opened up the lanes.
Game was back and forth until Blakes entered. Rahim rattled off 24 of his 30 points with Blakes on court and Blair won by double digits.

constantly moving with or without the ball.

high, quick release point- blocked shot will also be a foul across his face.

ambidexterous- actually finished and drove more with his left hand as it caught his defender (often bouknight towards the end) off-gaurd.

attacked bouknight and took him out of the 2nd half with foul trouble

alarmingly high dribble for a short pg.

score first and second thought process, pass only as a last resort.

Defensive nightmare for most gaurds as hes wide and quick. may have trouble transitioning from lateral movement to straight up and down (or vice versa), at the next level with slower hip rotation to his right side.

Reaction Score
Blair Academy lost Jaylen Blakes scored 17, next game is vs Franck Kepnang and Westtown Sunday at the Lehigh Valley Showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom