Jay Wright UConn post game presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jay Wright UConn post game presser

Reaction Score
I'm just going to listen to what Jay Wright said about UConn in that video....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We just dominated Nova on the boards and around the rim, we just outrebounded Wichita. I expect we'll be pretty damn good and on the glass next season.

You don't seem to know why we're losing.

Yeah, I don’t know what people are watching. Maybe they define talent differently than I do. But these players have played a few tournament teams. Beat Florida. Lost to Xavier in 2OT. Lost a close game to Indiana. Lost to WSU in 2OT. Lost a close game to Villanova. They had the players to beat all those teams. What’s lacking is smart, team basketball. Knowing where to go, and what to do. Collectively. On both ends.

Sure, getting even better players will help. But thats not why we lose these types of games or lost to bad teams like St. Joes.

Reaction Score
We just dominated Nova on the boards and around the rim, we just outrebounded Wichita. I expect we'll be pretty damn good and on the glass next season.

Plus adding Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs will give us even more size/depth down low

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

This is true, but Josh didn't get a key rebound when we needed it late. It was his but to go all cliche, Robinson-Earle "wanted" it more and got it, plus the foul. IIRC, just over 2 minutes, Nova up by 1. R-E makes both, Nova up three. If Josh takes that rebound, complexion of the last two minutes changes.

Not saying that was the entirety of the loss as the guys made some dumb mistakes down the stretch and were having problems with the Nova zone, but I bring it up because IMO, some rebounds are more important than others, and that was a key one.

Reaction Score
we need to get more talented but that’s not why we have been losing. We are losing because we are not playing smart and composed, and not making 3s.
Talent isnt just about how high you can jump and how well you can shoot. BB IQ is also a talent.

Reaction Score
Hurley has legitimate history and is very short coaching career, and comes from a family steeped with tradition and experience.
Legitimate and very short? OK that makes sense:confused:. What does family tradition have to do with how he will succeed? His brother was a legitimate guard at Duke and DH was marginal and experienced a lot of second guessing on some meh Seton Hall teams.
I really hope that he turns things around and UConn returns to the top. He appears to have the drive and personality to make a go of it. UConn has spent a lot of money and invested time. The admin has his back, that's huge so it's a great situation for him to be in. But first DH has to recruit much differently, coach much differently and get some help in coaching an effective offense and game management. If he is willing to seek direction and advice he will be a much better coach for it.
This isn't Wagner and it's not URI
What a dumb question. Think a little bit man. If it runs in the family of course his chances of winning and carrying on the tradition are better. He has a team (his dad and brother) behind him to bounce ideas off of and to help him get though rough patches. He also has been watching HOF coaches since he was in diapers. He has a perspective on coaching that is rare and unique. He’s going to be great. The change doesn’t happen overnight. Be patient.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Being nice to teams you just beat? Coaches love doing that.
I'm not sure if that was a tongue-in-cheek comment or sincere, but what is encouraging is hearing what sounds to me like genuine respect for the program from respected coaches like Jay Wright and Gregg Marshall. There is a difference between just being polite versus acknowledging the progress the program has made and mentioning specifics and saying, in essence, "they gave us a run for our money." I love that Coach Hurley said post game yesterday that we weren't respected by Villanova after getting blown out the last two games, and it was priority to earn that respect yesterday, which we did. Remember, last game of the season last year we lost to Houston by 39, and Kelvin Sampson showed the program very little respect, except to make a sort of vague compliment toward Jalen Adams, but then how much respect can you genuinely show for a team you just annihilated? I hope the Huskies remember that game going into Thursday. I sure do.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom