Jay Wright UConn post game presser | The Boneyard

Jay Wright UConn post game presser

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Jay Wright begins speaking at 11:20

Reaction Score
I love some of those quotes from Hurley, “you better get us now while you can ..” because Uconn come back. As heartbreaking as it was to lose 4 big-time games by a possession or two, in the final seconds, is rough, but anyone that can’t see the obvious improvement and comeback ahead is not paying attention.

Reaction Score
Watched a bit of the the Kansas Texas game. We just don’t have the talent/athletes

Reaction Score
Watched a bit of the the Kansas Texas game. We just don’t have the talent/athletes

we need to get more talented but that’s not why we have been losing. We are losing because we are not playing smart and composed, and not making 3s. Next years team will have andre Jackson, Sid wilson, james Bouknight and akok akok. It’s hard to get more athletic than that.

Reaction Score
I love some of those quotes from Hurley, “you better get us now while you can ..” because Uconn come back. As heartbreaking as it was to lose 4 big-time games by a possession or two, in the final seconds, is rough, but anyone that can’t see the obvious improvement and comeback ahead is not paying attention.

That line reminds me of Diaco saying over and over, “get your tickets while you can, pretty soon you won’t be able to get one.” Makes me nervous.

Reaction Score
That line reminds me of Diaco saying over and over, “get your tickets while you can, pretty soon you won’t be able to get one.” Makes me nervous.
It shouldn’t. Diaco is no Hurley. Hurley has legitimate history and is very short coaching career, and comes from a family steeped with tradition and experience. Look at his record at Rhode Island his first year and then his last years. He’s just beginning to instill a culture, and it show this team is not the same team it was last year or the year before that or before that. We’re going to be fine. He literally has one freshman class so far, and more on the way and we’re already improving

Reaction Score
We certainly need to get more talent but the mental part of the game is our biggest problem, our record would be a lot better if we could figure out the mental part of the game. We beat Florida who curb stomped Auburn today, we lost in double OT to Wichita, we outplayed a Nova team for 35 minutes on the road (Nova beat Kansas.)

Texas got blown out by Providence, I don't think they would outclass us.

Reaction Score
we need to get more talented but that’s not why we have been losing. We are losing because we are not playing smart and composed, and not making 3s. Next years team will have andre Jackson, Sid wilson, james Bouknight and akok akok. It’s hard to get more athletic than that.
I disagree. None of them known as good shooters from 3. Athleticism is fine but get me some shooters we can count on. Yes we’ll have Polley but we need more and better guards who can make 3’s.

Reaction Score

still won’t be able to hit threes

Reaction Score
I disagree. None of them known as good shooters from 3. Athleticism is fine but get me some shooters we can count on. Yes we’ll have Polley but we need more and better guards who can make 3’s.
We don't get good shots. We're going to win with defense, athleticsm, and cutting down all the mental errors. We get better shots and we'll make enough.

Reaction Score
It shouldn’t. Diaco is no Hurley. Hurley has legitimate history and is very short coaching career, and comes from a family steeped with tradition and experience. Look at his record at Rhode Island his first year and then his last years. He’s just beginning to instill a culture, and it show this team is not the same team it was last year or the year before that or before that. We’re going to be fine. He literally has one freshman class so far, and more on the way and we’re already improving

Yeah, I don’t actually believe Hurley is like Diaco, I just have PTSD from Diaco.

Reaction Score
Many questioning the talent of the team. So if Hurley is able to take a team with in your eyes mediocre talent, and give them the opportunity to beat top 25 teams on the road, home and neutral court. What do you think will happen when he’s able to bring in, in your eyes, talented players

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
it's fine to be athletic but if you don't have the bulk you're going to beaten to a pulp
That's the problem with recruiting like KO and DH - let's get those skinny athletic kids who can make a splashy play against some 16 and 17 yo kids
Then the get into the same arena vs the Houstons, WSU's, etc they get punked
When was the last time that UConn recruited a real sharp shooter?
Boys have a hard time beating men - no matter what the talent level may be

Reaction Score
it's fine to be athletic but if you don't have the bulk you're going to beaten to a pulp
That's the problem with recruiting like KO and DH - let's get those skinny athletic kids who can make a splashy play against some 16 and 17 yo kids
Then the get into the same arena vs the Houstons, WSU's, etc they get punked
When was the last time that UConn recruited a real sharp shooter?
Boys have a hard time beating men - no matter what the talent level may be
We just dominated Nova on the boards and around the rim, we just outrebounded Wichita. I expect we'll be pretty damn good and on the glass next season.

You don't seem to know why we're losing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley has legitimate history and is very short coaching career, and comes from a family steeped with tradition and experience.
Legitimate and very short? OK that makes sense:confused:. What does family tradition have to do with how he will succeed? His brother was a legitimate guard at Duke and DH was marginal and experienced a lot of second guessing on some meh Seton Hall teams.
I really hope that he turns things around and UConn returns to the top. He appears to have the drive and personality to make a go of it. UConn has spent a lot of money and invested time. The admin has his back, that's huge so it's a great situation for him to be in. But first DH has to recruit much differently, coach much differently and get some help in coaching an effective offense and game management. If he is willing to seek direction and advice he will be a much better coach for it.
This isn't Wagner and it's not URI

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

Lol. I understand but we’re talking about two extremely different talent pools and coaches.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Many questioning the talent of the team. So if Hurley is able to take a team with in your eyes mediocre talent, and give them the opportunity to beat top 25 teams on the road, home and neutral court. What do you think will happen when he’s able to bring in, in your eyes, talented players
Bingo.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Lol. I understand but we’re talking about two extremely different talent pools and coaches.
You're exactly right, this is apples and oranges. Diaco was speaking out of optimism as the football team's number one cheerleader, Hurley is basing his statements on his own track record of rebuilding programs, the current progress of this team, and the players who will be coming in next season. There is a world of difference.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Love this quote from Jay at 14:30:

"Well one of the things that brought back memories is when you could hear the UConn contingent chanting in our arena like it was their arena. I forgot about that. (laughs) They always travel well. They always bring people down here. Every game, in the old days, every game would be a sellout cause they would bring 3-4,000 and we're always getting probably 15-16,000. There's just a physical and mental toughness about both teams, it's always been that way, that leads to usually ugly battles but northeast basketball people love them, and that's what that was today."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You might turn out to be right, but it's not healthy to get nervous like that.
Stay present, just like the players have to.

Reaction Score
Love this quote from Jay at 14:30:

"Well one of the things that brought back memories is when you could hear the UConn contingent chanting in our arena like it was their arena. I forgot about that. (laughs) They always travel well. They always bring people down here. Every game, in the old days, every game would be a sellout cause they would bring 3-4,000 and we're always getting probably 15-16,000. There's just a physical and mental toughness about both teams, it's always been that way, that leads to usually ugly battles but northeast basketball people love them, and that's what that was today."
Jay Wright is awesome. One of the truly good guys in the sport.

Reaction Score
Jay received the primary award last June at the Franciscan Life Center in Meriden's annual banquet that JC has long supported and told a great joke about JC that had JC, Dee Rowe and the Aqua Turf crowd in tears

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom