Jay Wright expects UConn to be ‘even better’ as Huskies shoot for NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

Jay Wright expects UConn to be ‘even better’ as Huskies shoot for NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
“We’ve been able to play them the last couple of years and it was very obvious the first year we played them,” Wright said Wednesday on a conference call. “The first year was the first time he had the group and then you could see the second year they were starting to get it. They came into our place and almost beat us at our place. It was a great game, two closely matched teams.

“But you could say they were starting to get Danny’s style of play and I just assume this year, the third year that he’s got his group together, that they’re going to be even better. They took us to the wire last year and this year I anticipate it’s going to be the same when they’re in the Big East.”

Reaction Score
08F88E1A-2FAA-4B46-9115-13F613268DAB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Jay Wright is a classy guy. He knows UConn will be a tough out now that they are fully stocked under Hurley. It will be nice to have an intensity level that will be reminiscent of the old Big East days.

Reaction Score
Big East coaches, in general, go out of their way to talk up the teams in their conference. They go hard selling the conference... it’s annoying when you’re on the outside looking in but suddenly much more tolerable when you’re in (funny how that works...).

Dan does well with the current scenario... “yeah, people are saying you’re good, but what have we actually done? Nothing!“ It suits him.

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Never really considered Nova a rivalry when we were in the big east. We were on another level.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What he says is what almost every coach is going to say about UConn and DH
Dave L has said the same thing in the Chicago papers
Mike Anderson mirrored the same sentiments in the NY Post
No one wants to stoke the Huskies and DH and provide ammunition for the match-ups
Jay is a classy dresser and appears to be a gentleman but he is the enemy
We have seen him be a DB in the past
But as been said- it does make for a great rivalry

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a side by side comparison of records every season. Because I swear I remember a bunch of games when both teams were highly ranked.
I assume “on another level” is just because of the titles. But yes, some big time match ups for sure. I miss those Big Mondays.

Reaction Score
What he says is what almost every coach is going to say about UConn and DH
Dave L has said the same thing in the Chicago papers
Mike Anderson mirrored the same sentiments in the NY Post
No one wants to stoke the Huskies and DH and provide ammunition for the match-ups
Jay is a classy dresser and appears to be a gentleman but he is the enemy
We have seen him be a DB in the past
But as been said- it does make for a great rivalry
Not sure I agree with you. When we played Villanova during Kevin Ollie last year nova could easily have beaten us by 45 points or More. He called off his players and they beat us by maybe 20? In any case Wright is a class act.

Reaction Score
I never knew if it was a smoke screen or not, but there was never a bigger Calhoun or UConn fan than Jay Wright. Classy probably, smart most assuredly
I became a Jay Fan when they played our undermanned and inexperienced 2017-18 bunch with a team that won the NC
and held the final score to 20 pts
It could have easily been 50.
Classy move

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see a side by side comparison of records every season. Because I swear I remember a bunch of games when both teams were highly ranked.
Think back to the game in '06 in Philly, may have been Big Monday. Nova had a gang of deep shooting guards led by a young Kyle Lowry. We were #1 they may have been #4. Great game, highly competitive. We bite it in the end by six or so.

Reaction Score
This has potential to truly blossom into one of college basketball's premier rivalries. Nova fans travel as well as our fans - our matchups against them in the BET are going to be on the level of our battles against Syracuse.

Reaction Score
It going to feel great to be a part of a big rivalry again. In 5 years if both coaches are still here this could be one of the premiere rivalry games in the country. Im so hyped!!!
IMO..This has always been/still is a rivalry.. The last few years it has not been a BE rivalry(due to AAC).. We almost stole some games from them when our roster was just ok in the past few years.. Now we have comparable rosters from a talent perspective...Jay knows our talent level..Familiar with our new talent.. And yes..I do know where they're ranked preseason..Let's execute on the opportunity and have some fun.. Lil Sool checking this out with a smile..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with you. When we played Villanova during Kevin Ollie last year nova could easily have beaten us by 45 points or More. He called off his players and they beat us by maybe 20? In any case Wright is a class act.
You must be new here. This guy always finds something to bitch about.

Reaction Score
Think back to the game in '06 in Philly, may have been Big Monday. Nova had a gang of deep shooting guards led by a young Kyle Lowry. We were #1 they may have been #4. Great game, highly competitive. We bite it in the end by six or so.
Villanova also had a really hot shooting guard named Alvin Lee. Did he play with Lowry?

Reaction Score

That team was led by Randy Foye and Allan Ray. Lowry was good, but he was probably that team's third option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom