Jay Williams Tweet | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jay Williams Tweet

Reaction Score
Maybe the school has more legit "cause" for firing Ollie but they are hoping to get through this without having to make it public.
Bingo. If half the rumors are true about things that went on behind the scenes the past few years, UConn has plenty of ammo to dismiss Ollie for cause.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Bingo. If half the rumors are true about things that went on behind the scenes the past few years, UConn has plenty of ammo to dismiss Ollie for cause.

That “ammo” puts AD Dave in hot water, since he’s known about it for a while and sat on it.

Reaction Score
That “ammo” puts AD Dave in hot water, since he’s known about it for a while and sat on it.

That’s an overrated theory. All of the things that preceded will be used as small things that led up to the final straw that broke the camel’s back. It sounds like that straw will be the Adams/Larrier suspensions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not a lawyer, but no way.
Nah, they can ask for whatever they'd like. Of course the NCAA can, and likely will, disregard the request.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nah, they can ask for whatever they'd like. Of course the NCAA can, and likely will, disregard the request.

That's what I meant. Sure they can ask, but if there's zero chance of it happening, what's the point. I can go down to the local mobile station and ask for a million bucks, but I'm sure as $#it not getting it.

Reaction Score
To Jay Williams, I post ALL games played this year on ESPN & ESPN2
Michigan St L 77-54
Arkansas L 102-67
Syracuse L 72-63
Arizona L 73-58
Auburn L 89-64
Temple L 85-57
Cincinnati L 65-57
Wichita St L 95-74
Cincinnati L 77-52
Memphis L 83-79

I don't care about the FBI or the NCAA, in Connecticut what you see above is JUST CAUSE !!!

Reaction Score
Like several posters here, JW doesn't have the information that DB has. None of us does.
He's a big Ollie fan? I'll bet 100 bucks he wouldn't want him to be K's successor.
There's going to be fallout from this because Ollie was a - at first - successful, young black coach. Hard to believe anybody would hire him as a head coach at DI or above. This move - which was required and correct - is going to be seen as the end of his head coaching career.

Also like "paint was already on the wall." Lol. I guess it could have been an unpainted wall. This is a Dook grad, right?

Reaction Score
Like several posters here, JW doesn't have the information that DB has. None of us does.
He's a big Ollie fan? I'll bet 100 bucks he wouldn't want him to be K's successor.
There's going to be fallout from this because Ollie was a - at first - successful, young black coach. Hard to believe anybody would hire him as a head coach at DI or above. This move - which was required and correct - is going to be seen as the end of his head coaching career.

Also like "paint was already on the wall." Lol. I guess it could have been an unpainted wall. This is a Dook grad, right?

How? Why? He won an NCAA tourney and made another one, and if it weren't for the APR probation (2012-2013) would have made a third. I bet a ton of programs would take that. He's young and will get more opportunities.

Unless these alleged violations are that severe, than he should land on his feet okay. Plus, he has a ton of NBA connections. Could wind up back there in a front office and get an opportunity to get back into coaching.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Hurley brought in JC a few times for a motivation talk. I wouldn't make too much of it. It does provide an opportunity for JC to sell UConn to Hurley.
Unless there is a real reason for UConn to fight the buyout, KO deserves to be paid according to the terms of the contract. Nobody forced UConn to sign the contract.
On the other hand, the folks at UConn deserved to have a coach perform his job as he had when he signed the contract (before his divorce instead of the train wreck he became). Ollie was hired to run a perfectly clean program and perform at a high level - including preventing all the little crap things the NCAA has in its horror shop of rules; and if he performed as a coach, UConn would not be looking for a way out of a bad contract for ticky tacky nits.

You're entitled to your opinion but imho, I don't blame the administration at all for going after him. He betrayed the trust put on him to perform at a high level.

Reaction Score
Just listed to the ADB podcast re the firing(it was very good btw) and they referenced a Jeff Goodman article from a month ago where he mentioned that buyout discussions had taken place. Based on that, it could very well be that those discussions led nowhere and he wants the 10 mill and nothing less. If Goodman was correct, then the firing would not have been a surprise.
The big staff party that OZ referenced was acknowledgement that one way or another, KO’s time was at an end. It sure sounds like he knew it was coming.

The scary thing is that if KO is firm on getting all of the money, this could really become ugly and personal. A bad look for everyone.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just listed to the ADB podcast re the firing(it was very good btw) and they referenced a Jeff Goodman article from a month ago where he mentioned that buyout discussions had taken place. Based on that, it could very well be that those discussions led nowhere and he wants the 10 mill and nothing less. If Goodman was correct, then the firing would not have been a surprise.
The big staff party that OZ referenced was acknowledgement that one way or another, KO’s time was at an end. It sure sounds like he knew it was coming.

The scary thing is that if KO is firm on getting all of the money, this could really become ugly and personal. A bad look for everyone.
Maybe not. There’s no requirement that the information shared in Arbitration be publicly disseminated. Everyone’s going to have to put their cards on the table and then a decision will be made. My sense is that an accord will be reached.

Reaction Score
How? Why? He won an NCAA tourney and made another one, and if it weren't for the APR probation (2012-2013) would have made a third. I bet a ton of programs would take that.
Sure. In a vacuum that sounds great. All but a few programs in the country would sign up for a 5 year stint that included a NC.

Of course, you've ignoring a massive elephant in the room. MASSIVE.

It's like you're making a pitch on Harvey Weinstein by saying, "which movie company wouldn't want a guy who has produced so many great films and has so many awards?"

So, at the risk of attempting to force a morsel of obviousness into the mouth of a recalcitrant toddler . . . .
HE WON WITH JC's RECRUITS. The day their stays ended, so did the winning ways.
With his own recruits, it's been a nightmare.
His players have not played hard for him.
He posted two losing seasons in a row - something that hasn't been done in 35 or so years.
He had multiple top recruits flee the program and burn a year rather than stay and play for him with ample playing time available.
He failed to develop - AT ALL - any player he brought in.
His performance at UConn was SO BAD that UConn - a public school of relatively moderate means - is choosing to fire him and eat upwards of 10 million in contract breach losses to rid the building of his infestation.
He single-handedly took UConn from national prominence to openly mocked irrelevance in a mere 4 years.

Quite plainly Ollie's trajectory is aggressively downward. Flat out, he is a demonstrably awful coach.

He'll find a spot as an assistant somewhere, where he can be a good-guy mentor to marginal players. Preach work ethic. Be a shoulder to lean on or cry on. Fabricate and propagate 10-toes metaphors and such. Run rebounding drills. Use his "awwww maaaaan" face to induce sympathy.

But he'll never head-coach in the NBA - no way imaginable, and the only head coaching job he'll ever get in college would be at a school where his ability to recruit talent would compensate for his completely barren basketball mind. I figure D-II. Off chance of a marginal D-I program. But even then, when his team posts the 3rd worst D-I stat for something such as assists, who would want him? The team posting the worst?

This guy was HANDED a golden goose, he smashed the life out of it, squandered the eggs, and left us with a broken carcass and a bunch of goose s----t.

His pet saying was, "we take the stairs, not the escalator." He started on top - he didn't have far to ascend. The better metaphor is that he took the garbage shoot and rapidly took us from the top to the trash heap.

I'm blown away by these Ollie fan boys. They either have Stockholm syndrome or battered wife syndrome. I can't figure which.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Sure. In a vacuum that sounds great. All but a few programs in the country would sign up for a 5 year stint that included a NC.

It's like you're making a pitch on Harvey Weinstein by saying, "which movie company wouldn't want a guy who has produced so many great films and has so many awards?"

So, at the risk of attempting to force a morsel of obviousness into the mouth of a recalcitrant toddler . . . .
He posted two losing seasons in a row - something that hasn't been done in 35 or so years.
He had multiple top recruits flee the program and burn a year rather than stay and play for him with ample playing time available.
His performance at UConn was SO BAD that UConn - a public school of relatively moderate means - is choosing to fire him and eat upwards of 10 million in contract breach losses to rid the building of his infestation.
He single-handedly took UConn from national prominence to openly mocked irrelevance in a mere 4 years.

Quite plainly Ollie's trajectory is aggressively downward. Flat out, he is a demonstrably awful coach.

He'll find a spot as an assistant somewhere, where he can be a good-guy mentor to marginal players. Preach work ethic. Be a shoulder to lean on or cry on. Fabricate and propagate 10-toes metaphors and such. Run rebounding drills. Use his "awwww maaaaan" face to induce sympathy.

But he'll never head-coach in the NBA - no way imaginable, and the only head coaching job he'll ever get in college would be at a school where his ability to recruit talent would compensate for his completely barren basketball mind. I figure D-II. Off chance of a marginal D-I program. But even then, when his team posts the 3rd worst D-I stat for something such as assists, who would want him? The team posting the worst?

This guy was HANDED a golden goose, he smashed the life out of it, squandered the eggs, and left us with a broken carcass and a bunch of goose s----t.

I'm blown away by these Ollie fan boys. They either have Stockholm syndrome or battered wife syndrome. I can't figure which.

Hi Frank. “JC’s recruits” developed into championship caliber players under Ollie. They are Ollie’s players, not Calhoun’s. Be well.

Reaction Score
Hi Frank. “JC’s recruits” developed into championship caliber players under Ollie.
True, but that doesn't mean it was Ollie who developed them. They had 2 years of JC, JC still around, and Miller still on board. What Ollie did on his own - soup to nuts with players - was putrid.
Ollie's reputation has been permanently stained.

Can anybody name a greater or faster decline of a program than that of UConn from May of 2014 to March of 2018 that didn't involve NCAA sanctions? Nope.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
True, but that doesn't mean it was Ollie who developed them. They had 2 years of JC, JC still around, and Miller still on board. What Ollie did on his own - soup to nuts with players - was putrid.
Ollie's reputation has been permanently stained.

Can anybody name a greater or faster decline of a program than that of UConn from May of 2014 to March of 2018 that didn't involve NCAA sanctions? Nope.

They didn’t develop under Calhoun, that’s for sure. What did DeAndre do his freshman year? What did Niels do his first two years outside of the UK game in Maui? What did Shabazz do besides get the label of “worst starting PG in program history?”

And no matter what they tell you, I’m not an Ollie fanboy. I have a far more pessimistic view about his future employment prospects than you do — I think his off-the-court issues will prevent him from even getting hired as an assistant. But the real development of the championship core occurred between 2012 and 2014.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
They didn’t develop under Calhoun, that’s for sure. What did DeAndre do his freshman year? What did Niels do his first two years outside of the UK game in Maui? What did Shabazz do besides get the label of “worst starting PG in program history?”

And no matter what they tell you, I’m not an Ollie fanboy. I have a far more pessimistic view about his future employment prospects than you do — I think his off-the-court issues will prevent him from even getting hired as an assistant. But the real development of the championship core occurred between 2012 and 2014.
My 2 cents is Ollie was a better coach his first years in the program, when he really was ten toes in.

It looks like he got distracted as his marriage failed and then seemed to toss in the towel - certainly the abject failure in the final two years and the alienation of the team members, Miller and Calhoun seems to bear that out. Last year half the team couldn't wait to get away from him, this year there seems to be relief among the players they'll be coached by someone else.

As a fan I'm thankful for the first years and relieved he's no longer coach.

Reaction Score
You mean like the contract that says if he violates NCAA rules he can be discharged for cause? Contracts like that?

He was responding to the notion that the university should go after the $ irrespective of whether or not there are violations. Get it now?

Reaction Score

His pet saying was, "we take the stairs, not the escalator." He started on top - he didn't have far to ascend. The better metaphor is that he took the garbage shoot and rapidly took us from the top to the trash heap.

Many were enamored with the pet sayings after the NC. Last couple years they’re not so cute.

CL82

Reaction Score
He was responding to the notion that the university should go after the $ irrespective of whether or not there are violations. Get it now?
No, absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Try identifying your pronouns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom