OT: - Jay Black, Jay and the Americans Singer, Dead at 82 | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Black, Jay and the Americans Singer, Dead at 82

Reaction Score
JAY BLACK What a powerful, for a rock and roller.

What a talent this man was. I can still hear "Come a Little Bit Closer" and "This Magic Moment". Those days with Jay and Roy Orbison on the radio were sheer Utopia. I'm certain that some of Meat Loaf's inspiration for the lyrics of "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" came from these two. I know from personal experience that many high school Friday nights on the front seat of a '57 Chevy were made memorable by this man.

Was that too much information? Oh well.

Thanks for sharing that. RIP, Jay.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Jay Black and the Americans were one of the comfort groups of the era. All their songs were great sing-a-longs. Another group in that category would be Gerry and the Pacemakers. These guys were a fan favorite during a time when the Beatles were reaching their popularity and hard rock was in its infancy. Great memories, he will be missed.

Reaction Score
Wonderful singer who I first heard on my transistor radio a very long time ago. It’s almost as if his song, “Cara Mia” (my beloved in Italian), is his own eulogy when he asks the musical question, “Must we say goodbye?”
Agreed.

Evidently Jay Black (born David Blatt) was Yiddish speaker from Brooklyn who got his start in American music because of his tremendous talent. Cara Mia is still moving to me as a song as well as a piece of my youth.

Recently Len Barry (born Len Borisoff) of the Dovells died and it turned out that he too was a Yiddish speaker from the city, in his case Philly. His first love though was bball and he started at Overbrook High along with Walt Hazzard and Wali Jones, about 5 years after Wilt left. I was so disappointed to learn that the Bristol Stomp referenced PA, not CT.

Reaction Score
I shudder to think how long it's been. Anybody else remember a time (before whole the country experimented with permitting 18 year olds to imbibe) when there were only two places where alcohol for teenagers was legal: D.C., wine and beer only; and New York. I spent a teen summer in Sussex Co., NJ and often found myself and a local girl across the border in Orange County, NY. [I can see Calif. and Fla. with an Orange Co., but NY??? Was it the Dutch influence?] It was during the annual Onion Festival (again, an onion festival? Seriously?) when we ambled into a local establishment serving refreshment in liquid form. There, playing Only in America (a song and a way of life) were Jay and the Americans. What a treat for the price of a glass of beer.

R.I.P.

Reaction Score
Jay Black and the Americans were one of the comfort groups of the era. All their songs were great sing-a-longs. Another group in that category would be Gerry and the Pacemakers. These guys were a fan favorite during a time when the Beatles were reaching their popularity and hard rock was in its infancy. Great memories, he will be missed.
The group (or singer) that I always compared Jay and the Americans to was Johnny Maestro and the Brooklyn Bridge.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What a talent this man was. I can still hear "Come a Little Bit Closer" and "This Magic Moment". Those days with Jay and Roy Orbison on the radio were sheer Utopia. I'm certain that some of Meat Loaf's inspiration for the lyrics of "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" came from these two. I know from personal experience that many high school Friday nights on the front seat of a '57 Chevy were made memorable by this man.

Was that too much information? Oh well.

Thanks for sharing that. RIP, Jay.
Slight clarification: Jim Steinman (RIP) wrote "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights". I believe he wrote every song on a few Meat Loaf albums.

Reaction Score
Evidently Jay Black (born David Blatt) was Yiddish speaker from Brooklyn who got his start in American music because of his tremendous talent. Cara Mia is still moving to me as a song as well as a piece of my youth.
I grew up in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn. While in high school in the early-mid 60’s we were justifiably proud of the success of two of the older guys from the neighborhood, Sandy Koufax and David Blatt (aka Jay Black).
RIP David

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I grew up in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn. While in high school in the early-mid 60’s we were justifiably proud of the success of two of the older guys from the neighborhood, Sandy Koufax and David Blatt (aka Jay Black).
RIP David

A great song. Whenever I hear this song I think about wouldn't it be great to have a voice like that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Damn. A big loss and my age is showing.

Just purchased tickets to see Jay and the Americans in January. The present group is 4 vocals with Jay Reincke as the lead.

Reaction Score
I shudder to think how long it's been. Anybody else remember a time (before whole the country experimented with permitting 18 year olds to imbibe) when there were only two places where alcohol for teenagers was legal: D.C., wine and beer only; and New York. I spent a teen summer in Sussex Co., NJ and often found myself and a local girl across the border in Orange County, NY. [I can see Calif. and Fla. with an Orange Co., but NY??? Was it the Dutch influence?] It was during the annual Onion Festival (again, an onion festival? Seriously?) when we ambled into a local establishment serving refreshment in liquid form. There, playing Only in America (a song and a way of life) were Jay and the Americans. What a treat for the price of a glass of beer.

R.I.P.

One of my fav 60's voices. RIP - your post got me thinking though, anyone remember the bar right across the NY border in Brewster with the blind bartender? If I recall correctly, you had to tell him the denomination of the bill. How we made it back to CT in one piece was a miracle.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
RIP David

Hey fellow Brooklyn boy. I grew up in South Brooklyn. Yeah, it was rough, but I lived closer to the Brooklyn Fox and Paramount.

I had the great pleasure in seeing Jay Black and The American's twice in the early 60's here in Brooklyn. I never saw the original Jay and The American's with Jay Traynor. This group along with The Tokens (Who I saw. They were out of Brooklyn and led by another Jay, this time Jay Siegal) were all good friends, both bands being out of NYC. The original Tokens lineup included Brooklyn boy Neil Sedeka as well. Jay Black's big voice still echoes in my head. RIP to a great R&R voice that pretty much defined his genre.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
A Little Trivia: One of the Americans was Kenny Vance, a great singer in his own right. In 1975, I first heard this emotional, nostalgic song. For those who haven't heard it, I hope you enjoy it. I am sure Kenny is deeply saddened by Jay's (David's) passing. (a few bonus songs at the end.)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Proof that you can find almost anything on YouTube, singing together in front of a sing that says " The Music that will live forever"

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Have no fear, three weeks from today, the season begins, and music threads will be put to rest until next spring.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Cara Mia was a cover hit by Jay and the Americans and I first heard it a few years before they recorded it and it was one of my favorites. It was slower and really pretty. I believe the artist who sang it was David Whitfield. Kenny Vance and the Planatones are favorites of mine. Which Jay sang lead on "Come A Little Bit Closer"?

Reaction Score
On Wikipedia they identify the singer as Ben E. King. I listened to it on YouTube and it really was different but likeable. I’d give it a 85...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom