Jay Bilas | The Boneyard

Jay Bilas

Reaction Score
showing love for the Uconn Women and especially Gabby Williams during the Duke-NC game. Said Uconn is the most dominating program in sports. And Gabby is the best overall athlete hands down, men or women's basketball

Reaction Score
You can't argue with someone who is one of the most knowledgeable people involved in the sport. Most UConn fans would agree with Jay about Gabby.

Definitely can't. I like that fact that the girls were acknowledged during a men's game. And it wasn't just they would be going for 100 on Monday

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Have I said Jay just gets it? He just gets it. Now it's time for the next step. That's admitting that Geno is more than a living legend. He the GOAT, and should be consistently mentioned at least along side, and I say above, the names of Krzyzewski and Popovich.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thank you Jay Bilas, but I can't help it. I've more. It just breaks my heart everyday that these young women don't get the props they deserve. Osahor, Anigwe, Plum, Diamond, Wilson, and the huge host of past and present talented, crazy talented young women. Where are their highlights on SC? The back pages of the sport sections, the endorsements. Breaks my heart when I see how real and wonderful players like Coates, Holmes, and Durr are when I see those interviews and there's so little payoff for them. Arhg-g-g. Enough.

Reaction Score
What portion of the game did he say it? I'm going to rewatch the game on WatchESPN! And I don't want to miss it.

Reaction Score
What portion of the game did he say it? I'm going to rewatch the game on WatchESPN! And I don't want to miss it.

Don't know for sure. I want to say the middle of the first half. It was definitely the first half though

Reaction Score
Don't know for sure. I want to say the middle of the first half. It was definitely the first half though
That's about right. I heard it also and it was definitely first half.

Reaction Score
There was abut 8:10 left in the first half when the promo for the UCONN-USC game came on. That's when Jay commented about the dominance of the UCONN women and that, "Gabby Williams is the most complete basketball player he has ever seen". Terrific acknowledgement for a terrific player.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
"the most complete player he has ever seen" Really?

Been a UConn fan for about 25 years and I love how Gabby plays.

Trying to be objective here:

wonderful rebounder...especially for her height.
superior ball-handler and passer.
excellent defender....versatility a big part of that.

outside trey shooting....non-existent
mid-range shooting....improved from first two years...pretty decent...hopefully headed to 'good' in senior year
moves and accuracy around the basket....excellent
free throws....was terrible in frosh year [mid-forties percentage]....pretty decent last year [low 70's]
this year....not sure what the percentage is but I sense it is down from last year.

For the moment putting the men aside [Jay is clearly including the men....correct?]
are there any women who you would say are 'more complete' than Gabby in terms of their games?

I am assuming that 'most complete' player does not necessarily mean "best player"...do you agree
with that assumption?

Reaction Score

wonderful rebounder..especially for her height.
excellent defender...versatility a big part of that.

outside trey shooting...non-existent
mid-range shooting...improved from first two years..pretty decent..hopefully headed to 'good' in senior year
moves and accuracy around the basket...excellent
free throws...was terrible in frosh year [mid-forties percentage]...pretty decent last year [low 70's]
this year...not sure what the percentage is but I sense it is down from last year.

For the moment putting the men aside [Jay is clearly including the men...correct?]
are there any women who you would say are 'more complete' than Gabby in terms of their games?

I am assuming that 'most complete' player does not necessarily mean "best player"..do you agree
with that assumption?
Yes agree. Bilas referring to defender, rebounds, passer and can score/except 3's. How many 3 point shooters can do half of these things?? What other player men or women does this ? I can not think of one. Diana T is the only past player I can think of who was more dominate because she could shoot 3s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He the GOAT, and should be consistently mentioned at least along side, and I say above, the names of Krzyzewski and Popovich.

Except all 3 fall well below Ralph Tasker.

It just breaks my heart everyday that these young women don't get the props they deserve. Where are their highlights on SC? The back pages of the sport sections, the endorsements.

The attention given to women's sports is commensurate with the interest and demand in women's sports. Most men watch men's sports and most females watch men's sports. Therein lies your problem.

Reaction Score
That's when Jay commented ... that, "Gabby Williams is the most complete basketball player he has ever seen".

Really. I assume it was clear he was talking only about female college players if this was the full thought.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Jay is great. But he did play for Duke. Assuming he was lumping males and females together, A decent player from an all around perspective played at Chapel Hill. Michael Jordan.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

mid-range shooting...improved from first two years..pretty decent..hopefully headed to 'good' in senior year
free throws...was terrible in frosh year [mid-forties percentage]...pretty decent last year [low 70's]
this year...not sure what the percentage is but I sense it is down from last year.

For the moment putting the men aside [Jay is clearly including the men...correct?]

I am assuming that 'most complete' player does not necessarily mean "best player"..do you agree
with that assumption?

Fair points to be sure -

I think where Jay might be coming from is that Gabby excels at so many places on the floor in a way that few others can/do. Because we switch so much on defense, Gabby can just as easily be guarding a PG or SG for a little while before she shifting back to guarding the opponent's 5. I don't remember anyone, even Kelly, that we would purposely put on the other team's center or PF. (OK we would put Kelly on a PF sometimes, but it was out of necessity. You almost get the feeling that Geno would put Gabby on the other team's dominant 4 or 5 even if he had other options.) She was our rock against Baylor and against players like Turner or the Texas bigs as well, but still can defend anywhere else on the floor---we have also seen how she defends in space, getting steals, tips, etc. in the lane but also on the perimeter. She does this at a high level.

On offense, I agree (hard to disagree) that she's not the "best scorer" or anything like that. However, like you said she is an excellent passer, truly dominant offensive rebounder, and attacks the basket quite well from 15 ft on in even though her jumper is still a work in progress. (She can shoot the J but nobody confuses her with Lou or Pheesa in this respect.) So again, she can cause damage on offense no matter where she is on the floor.

I think because there is no place on the floor that she is not a real force for us, on either end, it makes her a very complete player. When you add the "wow" factor that come from her physical gifts and her effort, you get Jay's comment. (EX: going mano a mano with Turner for a 50/50 rebound that was directly above both of them and winning that battle. That's exceptional.) JMO of course - I understand and agree with your analysis but I can see where he's coming from.

Edit: Using similar reasoning, my own opinion is that Catchings is/was the most complete player I've ever seen, at least in the women's game---though I love Gabby to death. Not a line-by-line match for Gabby's profile--Catch could really score a lot of points when needed--but the motor and the essence of the two players is similar, and Catchings was ...well.... she was Tamika Catchings!

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Have I said Jay just gets it? He just gets it. Now it's time for the next step. That's admitting that Geno is more than a living legend. He the GOAT, and should be consistently mentioned at least along side, and I say above, the names of Krzyzewski and Popovich.

Geno is the only coach that I mention in the same sentence with Red Auerbach.

Reaction Score
I am assuming, but I think he was talking about this year, not ever.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Except all 3 fall well below Ralph Tasker.

The attention given to women's sports is commensurate with the interest and demand in women's sports. Most men watch men's sports and most females watch men's sports. Therein lies your problem.
Ralph Tasker? Really? As great as he was on the HS level Tasker never had to deal with travel, recruiting, criticism, the press, and the talent level of the opposing teams that Geno has to deal with. Sorry, to me that argument is specious.

And none of your second part heals my breaking heart.

Reaction Score
Ralph Tasker?Sorry, to me that argument is specious.

Of course it was, as was comparing a women's college basketball coach to a men's college basketball coach to a men's professional coach.

And none of your second part heals my breaking heart.

That's OK, none of it was meant to.

Reaction Score

with that assumption?

I agree with most of what you wrote along with your overall point, but I don't think she is a superior ball-handler.

We all love Gabby but because she is more exciting in some areas now people are going a tad overboard. Osahor leads the nation in rebounding by almost double and she can not jump 3 inches off floor much less 3 feet like Gabby. Point is you dont get extra points for style. Also, unless you are like a Shaq type of inside player, you have to be able to shoot consistently from outside to be the best or most complete player. I am talking about this year, its ridiculous in terms of all time. Stewie is a way better and more complete player... and there are plenty more (not athlete but player) so I am not going there.

This year on her own team, Pheese is a better and more complete player. So Gabby's steals are awesome and is good at handing out dimes, but Pheese is:

- just as effective rebounding (leads team by a hair but a wash),
- 2nd in steals (44 to Gabby's 63)
- 20 less turnovers (31 to Gabby's 56)
- has more blocks (leads team with 42 to Gabby's 30),
- can defend against all positions too,
- great shot mid range (compared to avg at best)
- can shoot 3s ,
- has more low post moves,
- better at the line (11% better)
- depended on and second in scoring (19pts to Gabby's 12pts avg)
- scores more efficiently, 3rd in nation (12% better FG%.)
- Pheese can steady the team on both sides when needed and can also dominate on offense.
- Game on line Pheese (and Lou) are the options to win the game 90% of the time. Your best and most complete player should be on that list.

So I am clear, Gabby is awesome and a 1st team AA in my book, not just the most complete player. And I am sorry, just still a little upset Pheese was left off top player lists because consistency and her ability to make it look easy should not be counted against her...

JordyG

Reaction Score
Of course it was, as was comparing a women's college basketball coach to a men's college basketball coach to a men's professional coach.

That's OK, none of it was meant to.
Of course you can compare coaches because it's all relative to their fields within their fields. The same way you can argue who was the greater genius: Ramanujan, Einstein or Tesla. None were proficient in the others fields, but all made major contributions in their own bailiwicks. Each can however be considered GOATS.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Jay is great. But he did play for Duke. Assuming he was lumping males and females together, A decent player from an all around perspective played at Chapel Hill. Michael Jordan.
I think young people have to be forgiven at least one mistake.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think young people have to be forgiven at least one mistake.

Forgetting MJ is forgivable. Playing for Duke is not ;-) I have a daughter-in-law who graduated from Duke, met my son at grad school at UConn, and her husband (my son) has an office in the literal shadow of the Carrier Dome. Their kids have a varied and sometimes deeply conflicted rooting interest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom