Javonte has big night | The Boneyard

Javonte has big night

Reaction Score
The future is bright, with this next class our team will be more athletic than it has been in a long time.

Reaction Score

I don’t think this is the 59pts game but it was posted last night

Reaction Score
Tape opens with Javonte being stuffed by the underside of the rim in warmup line. Not the usual precursor to a 59 point game. (But it is the way Richard Hamilton ended the McDonald All Star game and that worked out ok)
This is not the 59 pt game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't seen the 59 point game, but the 3.5 games I have watched make it evident that this young kid has great potential but is miles away from contributing in the type of game UConn played vs Xavier last night. He has a great frame and is a willing and able passer distributing the ball from the high post or low post to cutters and wing shooters by holding the ball high in 1 hand and firing. He would be well suited to play through on offense and he can make unchallenged shots. That is about it so far. He only goes right, sometimes travels or puts the ball in a position where guards strip it away, he doesn't do anything to react to a shot by getting position, jogs the court in transition even when his own man goes hard, and his arms are down on defense so entry passes can be made. Sometimes he is neutralized by much smaller players. He's got long arms but I haven't seen him jump very well. He makes no attempt to get out of area rebounds and frequently takes himself out of rebounding position. Athletically he is much more Carlton than Brimah. Hurley mentioned needing guys that aren't nice, and I sense he is another truly 'nice guy' rather than a guy with an attitude like Cardwell. Defensively he plays with reach rather than body, even though some of the opposing players don't have strength yet either. My personal expectations are low for him next year. I think this is a player where coaching can have more impact than most because there is so much to work with. Just doubling the effort he plays with could be huge. For next year I see 5 quick fouls and being abused by a mix of faster and stronger players going to the basket. Sprinkle in a couple assists and a play or 2 that show potential. In my mind he is more Souleyman Wane / Charles Okwandu as freshmen. They both won natty's as upperclassmen without being stars. Javonte stikes me as that kind of piece.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen the 59 point game, but the 3.5 games I have watched make it evident that this young kid has great potential but is miles away from contributing in the type of game UConn played vs Xavier last night. He has a great frame and is a willing and able passer distributing the ball from the high post or low post to cutters and wing shooters by holding the ball high in 1 hand and firing. He would be well suited to play through on offense and he can make unchallenged shots. That is about it so far. He only goes right, sometimes travels or puts the ball in a position where guards strip it away, he doesn't do anything to react to a shot by getting position, jogs the court in transition even when his own man goes hard, and his arms are down on defense so entry passes can be made. Sometimes he is neutralized by much smaller players. He's got long arms but I haven't seen him jump very well. He makes no attempt to get out of area rebounds and frequently takes himself out of rebounding position. Athletically he is much more Carlton than Brimah. Hurley mentioned needing guys that aren't nice, and I sense he is another truly 'nice guy' rather than a guy with an attitude like Cardwell. Defensively he plays with reach rather than body, even though some of the opposing players don't have strength yet either. My personal expectations are low for him next year. I think this is a player where coaching can have more impact than most because there is so much to work with. Just doubling the effort he plays with could be huge. For next year I see 5 quick fouls and being abused by a mix of faster and stronger players going to the basket. Sprinkle in a couple assists and a play or 2 that show potential. In my mind he is more Souleyman Wane / Charles Okwandu as freshmen. They both won natty's as upperclassmen without being stars. Javonte stikes me as that kind of piece.
Wow, you have a completely different read on him than I do. I see a player with touch around the basket, post moves, gaining athleticism as he grows into his body, enormous hands, 7'5 wingspan, and a mean streak. He's young for his class and has gained a good 20 lbs. or so in the last year but still needs to gain strength and explosiveness. Josh will start next year but my guess is Javonte ends up an NBA player.

Reaction Score
RJ is a better version of Gilbert,
Jackson is better than Wilson,
Springs ...better than Whaley,
Jovonte may be better than Carlton (?)

I realize these statements are almost baseless, but...
Damn I like Carlton but can someone teach him how to jump, Doesn't he realize how many times he gets stuffed by smaller players. Get aggresive and jump you would be unstopplable !

Reaction Score
I don't disagree he can be an NBA player. I just don't see him as an immediate impact player that will be competing for the starting position over Carlton next year, like a few posters have suggested. I just think our coaches should get a ton of credit if he gets to the NBA because he has a lot of areas to improve. I am not down on him at all if I gave that impression. Right now in my opinion he is not Oakafor, Thabeet, Voskuhl or even Boone as an incoming freshman, but he's got the raw physical tools. Got to say I don't see the 'mean streak' in his play.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree he can be an NBA player. I just don't see him as an immediate impact player that will be competing for the starting position over Carlton next year, like a few posters have suggested. I just think our coaches should get a ton of credit if he gets to the NBA because he has a lot of areas to improve. I am not down on him at all if I gave that impression. Right now in my opinion he is not Oakafor, Thabeet, Voskuhl or even Boone as an incoming freshman, but he's got the raw physical tools.

He's not a starter next year. Probably behind Springs, too.

Gotta remember he's also a year younger than other freshman, sometimes two if they did a PG year. I keep reiterating that sophomore year should really be considered his freshman year, and I will here too

A lot of bigs look lazy as heck in hs. He's playing like 35 mins a game too. The athleticism is on display in the late close games. Hopefully Sal and Kenya help him get more consistent with that motor

He's gotten T'd up in 2 or 3 of the games I've seen. He has a mean streak.

Reaction Score
I get Kerry Blackshear vibes with Javonte Brown Ferguson, limited athleticism but with more length and upside.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't disagree he can be an NBA player. I just don't see him as an immediate impact player that will be competing for the starting position over Carlton next year, like a few posters have suggested. I just think our coaches should get a ton of credit if he gets to the NBA because he has a lot of areas to improve. I am not down on him at all if I gave that impression. Right now in my opinion he is not Oakafor, Thabeet, Voskuhl or even Boone as an incoming freshman, but he's got the raw physical tools. Got to say I don't see the 'mean streak' in his play.

He's young and big men take time to develop. I think he can be a game-changing player from the beginning even with a very small toolkit (rim protection / shot-blocking, rebounding, close to the basket scoring threat). That's different from a guy who is mediocre at everything.

Reaction Score
He can be Carlton in the first half

Reaction Score
The only problem I see in what little I've seen of Ferguson is hes still a young pup. He just turned 17! I see a lot of skill there for someone so young. At that age kids that big are usually a bit awkward moving that long frame but hes pretty coordinated. I think he'll be here for two years then go on to be a lottery pick. Same with Jackson .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom