Javonte Brown Ferguson Reclass Ranking #136 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown Ferguson Reclass Ranking #136

Reaction Score
You have seen him play?
I've watched 4 of his games. He's by no means a finished product but with his talent and frame and UConn's staff and strength coach I'm betting on him being an nba player when it's all said and done. He's young and still gowing into his body and game, it will take a little time.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just starting to grow into his body and scratching the surface of what the future holds for him.

Can't wait to see what he does in a couple of years

Reaction Score
Okay, want to go crazy? He has the body of an 18 year old Giannis Sina Ougko Antetokounmpo.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've watched 4 of his games. He's by no means a finished product but with his talent and frame and UConn's staff and strength coach I'm betting on him being an nba player when it's all said and done. He's young and still gowing into his body and game, it will take a little time.
I've watched two games. I have no idea how this kid will develop and contribute from watching those games. The level of competition and the coaching leave a lot to be desired. Watching games of Bouk, Gaffney, Springs, Enoch I knew the potential and liabilities immediately.

For instance Springs is a player I wish was playing for the team this year. He's got an instinct for rebounding even when the ball doesn't careen near him. He's a great passer. I believe he was a point guard before his sudden growth spurt. It will be interesting to see both him and Jackson playing together since both can be point forwards. Steve showed a kid who loved offense and was poorly motivated to play defense.

Javonte Brown Ferguson has the body but hasn't demonstrated much athleticism. He's an adequate passer and rebounder but shows little with shot blocking. He's young and hopefully can be coached up. The first two games I observed an immature kid who could easily be goaded into getting technicals. Did he overcome that in the games you watched?

Reaction Score
If this is true, then next year's team may have 4+ future NBA players on it. A scary thought for our opponents. Can't remember the last time 4 future NBA players were on the same UConn team (2005-2006?)...
2012 had Shabazz, Drummond, and Lamb who are all currently playing, and Daniels & Oriakhi who were both drafted.

2009 had AJ Price, Adrien, Thabeet, Kemba, and Dyson, who all played games in the NBA

Reaction Score
k-walk said:
His motor in this game was much more consistent than his earlier games
Expand ...
Nice find...

27 PTS
13 REB
3 AST
5 TO
7 BLK
1 STL

10/16 FG
7/11 FT

Had to turn the volume off. Some mother in this video is an absolute moron and a banshee. Be forewarned 'Yard.

17:20 big alley
24:00 throwdown--showing off the athleticism here. I know we've been concerned, but I think that is partly motor and the minutes he has to play. I'd say he is easily the same level of athlete Cliff was a year ago at the same age.
26:50 nice pass to a shooter
29:50 long outlet after a board for a lay

Had a sweet dish from the short corner at one point. Better passer than Carlton is IMO. Another to a 3 pt shooter.

Guards really got under him. Wasn't strong enough with the ball and turned it over a lot in the first half. 0 TOs in the second, I believe.

Teams really cooked his team when he went out again. Got the other team to tie the game when he went out for just a few minutes. down 8 or so before. Got some momentum and won the game. Presence at the rim from Javonte Brown Ferguson is huge. They put a lot of pressure on him to clean up bad perimeter D.

Guards blew the game for Thornlea. 8+ Fourth Q TOs.

Their perimeter D is so bad the block numbers are inflated a little bit. Feels like he had to contest 100 shots. I wouldn't call him a natural shot-blocker at all.

Motor was still inconsistent IMO. Beginning of the 2nd half he looked terrible.

His team plays all 2-3 zone so it's hard to tell how he'll do hedging hard or blitzing in the PnR like we do.

Terrible perimeter defender. But showing more inside than I Expected when engaged inside. Definitely some lazy moments though.

I think this league is better than I initially thought. Not great by any stretch. His coach is not very good at all though. No defensive adjustment despite giving up 108 points or something IN A HIGH SCHOOL GAME. Crazy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How long before other coaches just look to see who Hurley is recruiting and recruit based on that?
When UConn makes the dance and starts making noise on a high national level

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If this is true, then next year's team may have 4+ future NBA players on it. A scary thought for our opponents. Can't remember the last time 4 future NBA players were on the same UConn team (2005-2006?)...
Just in time for the Big East.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nice find...

27 PTS
13 REB
3 AST
5 TO
7 BLK
1 STL

10/16 FG
7/11 FT

Had to turn the volume off. Some mother in this video is an absolute moron and a banshee. Be forewarned 'Yard.

17:20 big alley
24:00 throwdown--showing off the athleticism here. I know we've been concerned, but I think that is partly motor and the minutes he has to play. I'd say he is easily the same level of athlete Cliff was a year ago at the same age.
26:50 nice pass to a shooter
29:50 long outlet after a board for a lay

Had a sweet dish from the short corner at one point. Better passer than Carlton is IMO. Another to a 3 pt shooter.

Guards really got under him. Wasn't strong enough with the ball and turned it over a lot in the first half. 0 TOs in the second, I believe.

Teams really cooked his team when he went out again. Got the other team to tie the game when he went out for just a few minutes. down 8 or so before. Got some momentum and won the game. Presence at the rim from Javonte Brown Ferguson is huge. They put a lot of pressure on him to clean up bad perimeter D.

Guards blew the game for Thornlea. 8+ Fourth Q TOs.

Their perimeter D is so bad the block numbers are inflated a little bit. Feels like he had to contest 100 shots. I wouldn't call him a natural shot-blocker at all.

Motor was still inconsistent IMO. Beginning of the 2nd half he looked terrible.

His team plays all 2-3 zone so it's hard to tell how he'll do hedging hard or blitzing in the PnR like we do.

Terrible perimeter defender. But showing more inside than I Expected when engaged inside. Definitely some lazy moments though.

I think this league is better than I initially thought. Not great by any stretch. His coach is not very good at all though. No defensive adjustment despite giving up 108 points or something IN A HIGH SCHOOL GAME. Crazy.
Hurley is gonna have a problem with him if he doesn't pick up his motor for us. He doesn't go after rebounds or shot contests/blocks, there was plenty of opportunities this game for him to spike someone's shot, but he doesn't have a shot blockers mentality.

But the positives are still there too. Massive frame, flashes of athletic ability(the ally oop and 2 handed fast break dunk), decent touch for his age. He's the definition of a project, and I'll be shocked if he gets minutes over senior Carlton, and RS Springs. Would love to RS him next year, since he's young for his class anyway.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
2012 had Shabazz, Drummond, and Lamb who are all currently playing, and Daniels & Oriakhi who were both drafted.

2009 had AJ Price, Adrien, Thabeet, Kemba, and Dyson, who all played games in the NBA

SO a decade ago.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hurley is gonna have a problem with him if he doesn't pick up his motor for us. He doesn't go after rebounds or shot contests/blocks, there was plenty of opportunities this game for him to spike someone's shot, but he doesn't have a shot blockers mentality.

But the positives are still there too. Massive frame, flashes of athletic ability(the ally oop and 2 handed fast break dunk), decent touch for his age. He's the definition of a project, and I'll be shocked if he gets minutes over senior Carlton, and RS Springs. Would love to RS him next year, since he's young for his class anyway.
If there is a recruit that we can point to and state Hurley and the coaching staff can identify hidden gems with potential this kid is it. At this stage I see more a Soulemane type player than a Josh type player.

I guess Brendan fits that type of player but I loved his motor and desire from the first moment I saw him so I didn’t feel he was a project.

pj

Reaction Score
If there is a recruit that we can point to and state Hurley and the coaching staff can identify hidden gems with potential this kid is it. At this stage I see more a Soulemane type player than a Josh type player.

I guess Brendan fits that type of player but I loved his motor and desire from the first moment I saw him so I didn’t feel he was a project.

I think the staff can see he has the length, frame, coordination, and character of an elite player, and they trust their own ability to coach him up and get the most out of him.

That's all they need. They don't have to be able to predict his actual outcome to know that they're good for him and he's good for us.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think the staff can see he has the length, frame, coordination, and character of an elite player, and they trust their own ability to coach him up and get the most out of him.

That's all they need. They don't have to be able to predict his actual outcome to know that they're good for him and he's good for us.
He has the length, frame and coordination. Character and motor are the question marks. Same with foot speed on the defensive end.

One thing I will say is he won’t be pushed around.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Can see him being very effective for us long term but I question how effective he will be next season. Despite the 13 rebounds he is not a good rebounder yet. Needs to get much stronger and more physical.

Also needs to improve rebounding technique like not standing underneath the basket as well as not taking his eye off the ball when it's shot..

Reaction Score
Can see him being very effective for us long term but I question how effective he will be next season. Despite the 13 rebounds he is not a good rebounder yet. Needs to get much stronger and more physical.

Also needs to improve rebounding technique like not standing underneath the basket as well as not taking his eye off the ball when it's shot..
What are the odds that he redshirts in 20-21? As things stand we have Carlton, Whaley and Springs at the five next year, not to mention a possible grad transfer big if Al does move on after this year. I haven't watched any of his HS games but from what I have read in this thread it looks like the kid might be able to use a RS year to mature.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What are the odds that he redshirts in 20-21? As things stand we have Carlton, Whaley and Springs at the five next year, not to mention a possible grad transfer big if Al does move on after this year. I haven't watched any of his HS games but from what I have read in this thread it looks like the kid might be able to use a RS year to mature.

Low.

Reaction Score

A Soulemane type player?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I was of the opinion that he was kind of grounded, lacked a little athleticism. But after watching him more I’m completely certain it’s a motor/effort thing because he shows flashes of really good athleticism. He may be bored with the subpar Canadian competition. Once he gets in the gym with Sal and has our coaching staff motivating him he’ll be good.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
A Soulemane type player?
He’s hard to gauge. Against the level of competition he’s playing against with his size advantage I’d expect more from his game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom