Javonte Brown-Ferguson DPOY | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown-Ferguson DPOY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wait -- if he takes ten shots per game, he's only going to make one per game more than Carlton? OMG -- why are we bringing him in?

pj

Reaction Score
Wait -- if he takes ten shots per game, he's only going to make one per game more than Carlton? OMG -- why are we bringing him in?

Apart from the snarky tone which seems uncalled for, your arithmetic is wrong.

Carlton makes 3.4 fg per game on 6.8 shots, plus makes 1.1 free throws per game to reach 7.8 ppg.

If Javonte Brown Ferguson shoots 60.8% on 10 shots per game, he'll make 6.1 fg per game (2.7 more than Carlton) for 12.2 ppg, and will probably at least match Carlton's 1.1 free throws, for a 13.3 ppg scoring average.

Reaction Score
0.608% f

Apart from the snarky tone which seems uncalled for, your arithmetic is wrong.

Carlton makes 3.4 fg per game on 6.8 shots, plus makes 1.1 free throws per game to reach 7.8 ppg.

If Javonte Brown Ferguson shoots 60.8% on 10 shots per game, he'll make 6.1 fg per game (2.7 more than Carlton) for 12.2 ppg, and will probably at least match Carlton's 1.1 free throws, for a 13.3 ppg scoring average.

Yes, I was being snarky but no, my math wasn't wrong. My point is that if you assume 10 shots a game, the difference between a 50% shooter and a 60% shooter is one basket. And, since Carlton per this board is the worst shooter ever, 1 basket a game doesn't seem like much.

I certainly hope Javonte Brown Ferguson is better than the Josh we've seen post-Indiana this year. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to be snarky to those whose criticism becomes over the top.

pj

Reaction Score
In terms of offensive efficiency, the difference between a 60% and 50% shooter on 2 pointers is substantial, especially if the 60% shooter can cut down on Josh's 2.2 turnovers in 21.5 minutes per game. It's similar to the difference between a 33% and 40% 3 point shooter -- i.e. between an average and a plus player.

Reaction Score

Fg% isn't nearly as much of a concern with Josh as the TOs. For someone who barely dribbles he turns over the ball an absurd amount. Over 4 TOs/40

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yes, I was being snarky but no, my math wasn't wrong. My point is that if you assume 10 shots a game, the difference between a 50% shooter and a 60% shooter is one basket. And, since Carlton per this board is the worst shooter ever, 1 basket a game doesn't seem like much.

I certainly hope Javonte Brown Ferguson is better than the Josh we've seen post-Indiana this year. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to be snarky to those whose criticism becomes over the top.

Seeing how many one possession losses and the 5 over time match-ups we have had this year, I'd say 1 additional basket per game could have turned a lot of those Ls in Ws...

If 1 additional basket won us the game in regulation of our 5 games that went to OT, we would be 11-5 in conference and 21-8 overall right now and probably safely in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Carlton's "win shares" was at 2.9 last season, it has dropped to 1.5 this year (inverse of Whaley correlation), despite an increase in his usage. It was not a lot to begin with, but has only gotten worse, along with his vertical leap, and his unique ability to foul opponents unnecessarily in late game situations.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

The real difference is that Carlton is 3+ years older than Javonte Brown Ferguson, who's probably had limited coaching.

I have a feeling Javonte Brown Ferguson is a 4th off the bench post for us next year.

Reaction Score
Some recognition from Rivals' Eric Bossi . . .

Bossi's breakdown: Originally expected to be a member of the class of 2021, Brown-Ferguson had been going to school in the Baltimore area but moved home to Canada. He's got great size, length, some touch and runs the floor well, but he is still growing into his body. He may need a little time to adjust to high-major college ball at Connecticut, but the tools to be a rim protector who has some offense are there.

Basketball Recruiting - Bossi's Best: 2020's top signees from outside of the Rivals150

Reaction Score
Perfect situation for Javonte as we have enough depth this year for him to sit and learn, and even next year he won’t be relied on as more than a backup. By his third year here he should be a real solid contributor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In terms of offensive efficiency, the difference between a 60% and 50% shooter on 2 pointers is substantial, especially if the 60% shooter can cut down on Josh's 2.2 turnovers in 21.5 minutes per game. It's similar to the difference between a 33% and 40% 3 point shooter -- i.e. between an average and a plus player.

Not to mention that Josh shot 60.7% two years ago. So clearly things change. Guys get better, or worse. Glad to have an athletic 7 foot guy joining the team. I think he is going to do great things, eventually.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The real difference is that Carlton is 3+ years older than Javonte Brown Ferguson, who's probably had limited coaching.
... and hasn't been a part of a D1 conditioning program yet. The kid is going to be a beast.

Reaction Score
IDK I don't think he's coming here to sit...Especially for not more than a year. He had the opportunity to go to Kansas and Texas Tech but came here because we were weak in the post. Just my gut feeling from reading the situation and his comments. I'm not pretending to know anything more than that.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that Josh shot 60.7% two years ago. So clearly things change. Guys get better, or worse. Glad to have an athletic 7 foot guy joining the team. I think he is going to do great things, eventually.
He definitely isn’t athletic but the 7 foot part is nice

Reaction Score
He definitely isn’t athletic but the 7 foot part is nice

5 mins 5 sec in. "He's a 7 ft center that can run the floor like a 6' 5" wing"...

Reaction Score

5 mins 5 sec in. "He's a 7 ft center that can run the floor like a 6' 5" wing"...

He does not run the floor like a 6'5 wing. I've seen the kid game replays 4-5x. Just no. He is physically a year behind other 2020s. I rarely claim that recruiting experts have it wrong, but this one is SO wrong.

He is massive--mayne the biggest player in tue NBE already. THAT is his strength. He's a high potential project. I expect by year 3 Hurley and Kenya have him playing at his peak

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

That is hilariously wrong. Anyone who has watched multiple games would agree.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

So your point is this; we have a 50% shooting senior and a 60% shooting freshman. So throw the 60% shooter out. And your reason is that we would only have 1 more basket per 10 shots. You have to be trolling, have to be. Do you take this logic with you to work or can you leave it in a closet somewhere? :confused: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom