Ja'Tavia Tapley is espnW player of the week | The Boneyard

Ja'Tavia Tapley is espnW player of the week

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

"It's why she is the espnW player of the week after totaling 16 points and six rebounds in a 72-66 win against the Ducks and 14 points and six rebounds in a 55-47 win against the Beavers. ... Something like it [beating the #2 and #3 teams in back-to-back games] might happen occasionally in the Final Four, but it hadn't happened in the regular season since 2010 -- when Stanford beat No. 4 Xavier and No. 1 UConn in a three-day span -- and certainly not by an unranked team."

Also considered: Te'a Cooper, Baylor; Lauren Cox, Baylor; Kathleen Doyle, Iowa; Rhyne Howard, Kentucky; Selena Lott, Marquette; Chelsey Perry, UT-Martin; NaLyssa Smith, Baylor

Last edited:
Reaction Score

"It's why she is the espnW player of the week after totaling 16 points and six rebounds in a 72-66 win against the Ducks and 14 points and six rebounds in a 55-47 win against the Beavers. ... Something like it [beating the #2 and #3 teams in back-to-back games] might happen occasionally in the Final Four, but it hadn't happened in the regular season since 2010 -- when Stanford beat No. 4 Xavier and No. 1 UConn in a three-day span -- and certainly not by an unranked team."

Also considered: Te'a Cooper, Baylor; Lauren Cox, Baylor; Kathleen Doyle, Iowa; Rhyne Howard, Kentucky; Selena Lott, Marquette; Chelsey Perry, UT-Martin; NaLyssa Smith, Baylor
Congratulations to La'Tavia, her teammates, and her coach.

This was an elite group of athletes under consideration and I think this award recognizes both Tapley's performance and her importance to the team.

It's heartening that ESPN selectors looked beyond gaudy offensive statistics to consider the role of a player within a team framework. While one could argue that ASU's victories would have been impossible without Jamie Ruden or Robbi Ryan La'Tavia's work on the boards and her ability to get to the rim offensively were irreplaceable.

Obviously the huge victories over the number two and number three ranked teams in the country had to have been a team effort. And watching both games Tapley was critical to these wins.

While this is a player award ESPN could have made a statement by giving the Year award to the entire team and coach.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Well deserved. She's a beast. Had to go to someone from ASU with their monster wins.

Rhyne Howard again with a monster week (32.5ppg in 2 games) and Nalyssa Smith was also deserving, as she put up 25ppg/13.5rpg/63.6% FG in 2 games including the huge win at UCONN. Great week for women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Well deserved. She's a beast. Had to go to someone from ASU with their monster wins.

Rhyne Howard again with a monster week (32.5ppg in 2 games) and Nalyssa Smith was also deserving, as she put up 25ppg/13.5rpg/63.6% FG in 2 games including the huge win at UCONN. Great week for women's basketball.
I agree completely. And as I said this reflects well on ESPN for selecting player contribution in 2 huge wins as opposed to statistics.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I thought t’ea was going to though!
I have no idea what the 3 voters for this award base it on...
As much as I hate to admit it, playing well in multiple games AND playing well in a game where your team beats the #1 team (no matter who that is) with the game televised on the voter's network, to me would usually get you the award.
But maybe beating 2 of the top 5 equals only beating the #1 team.
But I repeat, no idea what criteria they use.

Plebe

Reaction Score

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Do you mean Ja'Tavia? I don't know anyone named La'Tavia.

LaTavia Marie Roberson (born November 1, 1981) is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. Roberson rose to fame in the late 1990s as an original member of the R&B group Destiny's Child, one of the world's best-selling girl groups of all time.

Plebe

Reaction Score
LaTavia Marie Roberson (born November 1, 1981) is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. Roberson rose to fame in the late 1990s as an original member of the R&B group Destiny's Child, one of the world's best-selling girl groups of all time.
Sans apostrophe ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom