Jasper Howard Memorial | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jasper Howard Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Its going to be on the concourse in front of the jumbo-tron. It will be visible from almost the entire stadium. We originally wanted it down by the students and where the players come in, but it is too heavy! The other option was tucked away somewhere down that end, but once we stood on the spot it was awesome. It will really be a part of the stadium, not just a tribute in a corner

I think that spot is perfect. It's reminiscent of Seattle's Quest Field's 12th man flag being a focal point of their stadium.

Do you know if there are any former players/coaches who will be returning for the dedication? Just curious.

It would be GREAT if the Rent was packed but understand that given the on-field product thus far, that might be difficult to achieve. But here's to bringing the UCONN community together and remembering a great young man.

Reaction Score
I think that spot is perfect. It's reminiscent of Seattle's Quest Field's 12th man flag being a focal point of their stadium.

Do you know if there are any former players/coaches who will be returning for the dedication? Just curious.

It would be GREAT if the Rent was packed but understand that given the on-field product thus far, that might be difficult to achieve. But here's to bringing the UCONN community together and remembering a great young man.

There are definitely a number of former players coming back. Don't have firm numbers except that Kashif Moore will definitely be there and will be a big part of the ceremony. Unfortunately every coach from 2009 has a game that day (it's good they have jobs though!) We have the alumni association reaching out to their members to encourage them to attend. Hopefully everyone can look beyond the current difficulties and choose to be a part of this special day. #gofor6[/QUOTE]

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No, I haven't but I think it's great that the alumni are coming back. This is LONG overdue and a great way to honor what I think was the most tragic, and strangely, most rewarding (by the way that the team rallied together and fought through EVERY game) season in UCONN football history.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The statue is in place at the Rent! It went in witbout a glitcb and looks amazing. I want to take this time to thank all of you for the encouragement and support! It has been an interesting 14 months to be sure, and I think this monument is a fitting tribute to Jazz and his legacy. I hope it serves as a reminder of who we are and what we should aspire to. I cannot wait until Saturday, probably won't sleep!

I'd like to take a moment to publicly thank some people that helped to get this done. Mike Enright, Associate A.D has been a supporter from day one and was our point person in the A D's office all the way through this. I'm sure there's a part of him that's happy this is done so he can be done with my wife and me pestering him!! Also, within the department, Evan Feinglass, Dave Evan and Neal Eskin were great. Mike Morrison at the UConn Foundation was incredible when it came time to raise the money. I want to thank Warde Manuel for giving us the opportunity to sit down with him and explain why this is so important. He admitted that since he wasn't here, he couldn't fully understand, but after our meeting last June, he got it. His willingness to listen to us, just a couple of season ticket holders, was impressive. Also, I have to thank Susan Herbst. She is amazing and was an advocate for this and without her and her Cheif of Staff, Rachel Rubin, this doesn't happen. Susan just gets it, and I am so happy to have someone like her at the helm of the school I love. Rachel, in particular was and is amazing. A friend of ours said she is the best person at UConn, and he may just be right! There ae so many others I could and should thank, including everyone who contributed to this, but it would be impossible to name them all! Finally, I need to thank Randy Edsall directly. We reached out to him months ago and he has been incredible. Without going over everything again, I'd like to say that without him, this might not have gotten done and I for one will be eternally grateful.

And finally for real (this is straying into Carl post length territory) I want to publically thank K. G. Keena Memorials, the monument company that is as responsible as anyone for the statue being there this weekend. The Keena's, Kevin and his son Kris, reached out to my wife when we first went public with the idea of a monument last spring. To make a long story short, this is not just a job to them, it is family. They are season ticket holders since before the Rent was open. One of their locations is right on Silver Lane! They tailgate right near us in the blue lot, although we'd never met. Kris even has a dog named Jazz! These guys did the impossible, doing a twelve week job in six. They even drove up to Vermont last night to get the last piece of the statue here today. They are the best and will be personal friends forever.

Saturday is going to be incredibly special. Unfortunately, and it is killing him not to be here, Kashif Moore can't be here. He was just signed by the Toronto Argonauts and has a game this weekend. As much as he wants to be here, Jazz would be the first one to tell him to get his butt on the field and follow his dreams. In his place, Andre Dixon has graciously agreed to represent the 2009 team at the unveiling and say a few words. As of right now, over 30 members of the 2009 team will be here along with 25 members of Jasper's family!!!! Tonite on channel 30 during the eleven o'clock news will be a special piece Kevin Nathan has done on the memorial. He flew to Florida and interviewed Jazz's mother and fiance, and went to Maryland to interview Randy. It is a full five minute feature to be aired during the news portion of the broadcast, not the sports. To Kevin, like so many of us, this is personal.

So, see you all on Saturday! Let's cheer our Huskies to a great win and lets let Jazz lead us back to where we belong! Live 365!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Dan, you seem to have left out that you and Lisa will be part of the feature on Channel 30 tonight. :) At least, that's how they plugged it during the 6pm news yesterday. Saturday will be a day to celebrate Jazz, but we wouldn't have Saturday without your tireless efforts. Amazing stuff- way to HuskyUp!

Reaction Score
Is channel 30 ABC, CBS, Or NBC?
I have Comcast and channel 30 is ESPN2.

Reaction Score
jonathon6.jpg

Reaction Score
I love the monument. The only thing that I wish is that it were on the other side of the stadium. I like Diaco's change with having the players come through the student section for warmup's. Right now, there are hardly any students ever there. But over time I think that it will catch on. It would be cool to have the number "6" there to greet the players as they head down the stairs to the field.

Regardless of where it is, I like it a lot and am grateful for the work that all parties involved put forward to make it happen.

Reaction Score
I love the monument. The only thing that I wish is that it were on the other side of the stadium. I like Diaco's change with having the players come through the student section for warmup's. Right now, there are hardly any students ever there. But over time I think that it will catch on. It would be cool to have the number "6" there to greet the players as they head down the stairs to the field.

Regardless of where it is, I like it a lot and am grateful for the work that all parties involved put forward to make it happen.

Thanks Darren, originally we wanted to have it over there, but because of the weight of it, we couldn't put it there. The locker rooms are below there and the cement isnt strong enough for the almost 4 ton statue. Also, fire codes wouldn't allow it directly behind the students as we had hoped. So, the other end it was. The location makes it a real part of the stadium, not just stuck in some corner, but visible from almost every seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom