Jason Sylva Update | The Boneyard

Jason Sylva Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw this on another board. Wasn't sure if this should be a new topic or go in the 2014 recruiting thread , but Jason Sylva posted this on his Facebook:

"opening up my recruiting and going to take my time and decide where is best for ME."

Reaction Score
Saw the same on Twitter an hour ago - "@LongJohnSylva44: opening up my recruiting...going to end up where is best for MY future"

He's been a "soft verbal" since he had to go to Dean JC for academics. Wonder if UConn was pushing for something more definitive so they'd know who is on board or not for next year and he balked or UConn went another direction.

One place this team is deep is LB. We'll see I guess.

Reaction Score
Not too surprised by this... once he took the JUCO route this was highly possible... I'm happy for the kid either way, whether he stays committed or has a better opportunity for him elsewhere....

Reaction Score
This may be a situation where he has no guarantee of admission to UConn from Dean, so it makes total sense that he would open his recruiting. As has been discussed many times on this board, there are no free passes through admissions for the coaches to use.

Reaction Score
As has been discussed many times on this board, there are no free passes through admissions for the coaches to use.

That needs to change, IMO. Rutgers gets kids in the door that we don't even recruit. It's a problem.

Reaction Score
Look at bryan, also at dean. He's not enrolled in summer school, at least tbe second session, knowing that he needs two years' worth of credits to transfer. He'd have to take summer classes next summer to make it possible. You wonder if a full ride at UConn is waiting for you so long as you do the work, you'd think with that opportunity these kids would be doing everything possible to qualify. Now who knows if sylva is running into the same issues, but if you're doing athlete admits from dean at uconn, you've got to wonder about what's going on up there. Looking at where dean kids are going, and it seems mostly to schools that aren't known for academic rigor (Burlingame to FAU, another kid to FAU, one to south alabama, towson).

It may not be a uconn thing per se, but maybe a dean thing.

pj

Reaction Score
Disappointing if we lose Sylva. He's a great talent.

Reaction Score
As we say in CT, "Hit the books or hit the road."
As they say in NC, "Take African study classes and get free rent a cars."

Reaction Score
I read his tweet as being a shot at Dean more than anything. Based on the Bryan article it does not seem like the Dean staff is really focused on getting these kids ready for big time football.

I will never understand the Sylva recruiting process. He was at Tabor Academy for a year to boost his grades and academic standing. Tabornis certainly not one of the football factories and is a decent prep school. Sylva went from a potential January enrollee to not even qualifying. Maybe it was as simple as the SAT scores, but it is very disappointing.

My guess is that he may end up at a Marshall type school in January and not do the full second year at Dean. Obviously a frustrating process for a talented player.

Reaction Score
By definition ...

We have Paul Pasqualoni on the hotseat. He has NO job if he doesn't get to .500. I think any kid not enrolled at the University of Connecticut, no matter of a verbal or executed commitment ONE February, is a free agent. We should have little expectation given the season we are facing.

Reaction Score
I read his tweet as being a shot at Dean more than anything. Based on the Bryan article it does not seem like the Dean staff is really focused on getting these kids ready for big time football.

I will never understand the Sylva recruiting process. He was at Tabor Academy for a year to boost his grades and academic standing. Tabornis certainly not one of the football factories and is a decent prep school. Sylva went from a potential January enrollee to not even qualifying. Maybe it was as simple as the SAT scores, but it is very disappointing.

My guess is that he may end up at a Marshall type school in January and not do the full second year at Dean. Obviously a frustrating process for a talented player.

Read his Twitter timeline - this is pure academics. He references having only 2 years of eligibility left. My sense again is that he failed to meet a UConn benchmark for academic improvement.

Reaction Score
By definition ...

We have Paul Pasqualoni on the hotseat. He has NO job if he doesn't get to .500. I think any kid not enrolled at the University of Connecticut, no matter of a verbal or executed commitment ONE February, is a free agent. We should have little expectation given the season we are facing.

Yup. Unfortunately. It's on P.

Reaction Score

The list of Tabor students that end up at a JC is probably really, really short. The Sylva saga has been nothing but strange.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Would love to have the kid but LB is by far the least of my concerns. QB and WR being a distant 2nd and 3rd (who would have thought?)

If he's opening up his recruiting it means he doesn't have 10 toes in. I wish him luck and am very happy with the committed players and recruits we have on board.

Reaction Score
By definition ...

No, expectations? Then why go to the games. i am expecting us to be over 500 and would not be surprised to see us at 8-4, followed by the beat down of a p5 school. Weist is going to make a huge difference and the kids on O are pumped. If the above happens coach p gets an extension and weist becomes hc in 2 years.

Reaction Score
I wish Mr. Sylva luck in the future. If he doesn't want to be here, there is no need for him to commit. Wish he would just say he is officially no longer committed to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Interesting that none of the kids recruited last year are headed to Dean

Apples and Oranges. Dean is a JUCO. Milford is a Prep School. You go to JUCO when your test scores are too low. You go to Prep when you can get into a D-1 school if you just get your grades up.

Reaction Score
um, NONE of the kids, not just those prepping at MA counselor. So, no, it is more than a coincidence.

pj

Reaction Score
One suspects Dean has either transferred their loyalties to BC, or continues to fail our recruits academically. The loss of Burlingame last year, Sylva this year, and inability of Bryan to graduate in a year and a half are all black marks.

Reaction Score
Sylva article on TOS suggests he is gone - references to Don Brown and that the feelings he had for UConn are gone. Looking at UMass, Iowa, Rutgers, but probably really hoping for BC

Reaction Score
um, NONE of the kids, not just those prepping at MA counselor. So, no, it is more than a coincidence.

My point is which of the kids we signed last fall are going to JUCO. Because if the answer is "none," than you haven't learned anything about where Dean is on our list of JUCOs.

Reaction Score
Saw this Friday night... but along with other tweets it sounded like he was heading up for a party.

Papa Sylv@LongJohnSylva44 Protected account 26 Jul
to UMASS

Now multiple Twitter reports reporting it but I'm dubious this is the "end" destination. He's been all over the place lately...

BobMcGovernJr 2:16pm via web
Sources: Sylva will play at Dean College in the fall and then come to #UMass for fall of 2014. He originally committed to #UConn.

BobMcGovernJr 2:13pm via web
Sources confirm that Jason Sylva, LB from Dean College, is heading to #UMass. Originally reported by @BHallESPN

NHRJimFuller 2:10pm via TweetDeck
Per @BHallESPN former #UConn commit Jason Sylva headed to UMass after he graduates from Dean College Post original url/1bytcX1

BHallESPN 2:02pm via Twitter for iPhone
Per source, Dean College LB and former Tabor Academy star Jason Sylva is heading to UMass. Originally signed with UConn in 2012

Reaction Score
Not surprised about Sylva. Not feeling warm that Bryan is going to end up here or anywhere. Hope he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom