Jared Sullinger-like impact from Andre this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jared Sullinger-like impact from Andre this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The youtube highlights of Drummond are great, but he's still unrefined in the post and he's not someone you can just dump the ball into and let him go to work.

How about spreading out and giving him the ball at the foul line and having him dribble right by his man.

Reaction Score
How about spreading out and giving him the ball at the foul line and having him dribble right by his man.

Have you seen him do this consistently in a game setting, or are you basing this off of the highlight tapes?

I can understand that people are giddy - he's a big time prospect, a freak athlete, and is going to help us tremendously. But we're not going to be running the offense through Andre Drummond - not on the block, not at the foul line, not anywhere - at least not this year.

Reaction Score
The end of what year???

As good as Drummond might be, that doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

Boy do I agree with u there...as good as Emeka ? He was POY candidate ? He was a Jr. While i think AD will be really good, it will take some adjustment. Now, does he have more 'athletic ability', maybe so...but he's still gonna have to figure out how to play against other 'big guys'...this is not STM...this is the BE...he'll be better in Feb/March, but not sure he'll be Emeka-like even by then. If so, just wow...

Reaction Score
I do not expect Drummond to have the same immediate impact in college that Sullinger had. I agree that Sullinger came into college a much more polished offensive player than Drummond. A lot of Drummond's ranking is based on potential because of his body and athletic ability. He did not dominate in high school like Sullinger did. Drummond has a much higher ceiling than Sullinger but isn't as good now. Plus I don't think UConn is looking for him to come in and score 18 ppg. They have plenty of good pieces around him. I'm sure they'll look for 10-12 ppg, 8 rpg and some good interior defense. I think that's all we should expect.

Reaction Score
you'll find AD ready to play within the system without being one of the top options....My guess he'll be more of a garbage man on offense with his main contribution on defense. He is well schooled and has played against the best opposition that could be found in the under college ranks.

Reaction Score
"My guess he'll be more of a garbage man on offense with his main contribution on defense"

:confused:

i look for AD to get 8-10 shots a game within the offense. if he shoots 50% thats going to be 8- 10 points per game. throw in a few put backs,and ones and fast breaks and he should be around 15. he can do so many things on the court that it gives him a ton of ways to score. the kid is nearly 7 feet and 270 lbs and runs like a deer! athletically there arent going to be many people who can even stay with him. a few people are saying that we cant get excited over some highlights because we havent seen him actually play games. you dont have to watch a full game to see the immense talent thats there.

Reaction Score
Andre Drummond does not have the same post game that Sullinger had as a freshman. He's 10 times the athlete that Sullinger is, but his offensive game is not as refined. When we need a basket this year, I'm pretty confident that Lamb will be option #1 and Oriakhi will be option #2.

Drummond will wow people with 3-4 highlight reel dunks or blocked shots per game. But if anyone is expecting him to be Kevin McHale in the low post, you're going to be disappointed.

A lot of folks seem to like AO as the second option on offense. I was not particularly impressed with his ability to create his own shot nor was I crazy about him handling the ball when pressured. Lamb has to be the odds-on favorite here but maybe Shabazz is the second option. I think he can find a way to get a shot off. Maybe not a great one but I have visions of Alex getting stripped in the lane trying to force the issue. And if Daniels' shooting is as good as advertised maybe he will be the second or third option. Then let Alex and Andre go after the rebound (on the off chance that there is one).

Reaction Score
I mean...I can kind of see the idea of "garbage man" if you're talking about the offensive style that Dwight Howard has played for most of his career (lots of offensive boards, lots of dunks, etc.). Maybe AD's skillset will be shrunk down to something more limited as he gets more comfortable and accustomed to playing at a higher level.
But I think his offensive tools are a lot better than Howard's and in terms of production I think he'll definitely be top 2 or 3 on the team in pts, rebs and assists.
I think the main questions are:
1. How good/efficient is he going to be in the post when it comes to finishing hook shots or shooting free throws?
2. How will he handle the pressure of high expectations?
3. Will he face any kind of foul trouble or issues on defense?
If he does well in those categories he's going to be an absolute monster.
We're talking 15, 10, 2 and 2 or something like a per 36 of 18, 12, 3 and 2.

Reaction Score
I mean...I can kind of see the idea of "garbage man" if you're talking about the offensive style that Dwight Howard has played for most of his career (lots of offensive boards, lots of dunks, etc.). Maybe AD's skillset will be shrunk down to something more limited as he gets more comfortable and accustomed to playing at a higher level.
But I think his offensive tools are a lot better than Howard's and in terms of production I think he'll definitely be top 2 or 3 on the team in pts, rebs and assists.
I think the main questions are:
1. How good/efficient is he going to be in the post when it comes to finishing hook shots or shooting free throws?
2. How will he handle the pressure of high expectations?
3. Will he face any kind of foul trouble or issues on defense?
If he does well in those categories he's going to be an absolute monster.
We're talking 15, 10, 2 and 2 or something like a per 36 of 18, 12, 3 and 2.

Reaction Score
I think that his main scoring will come from overpowering people this year hence the garbageman tag.and that includes trailing on the break which he likes to do when he isn't having any of his walkabouts......if he plays like he did in the national prep school championship game he'll average over 20 per game...He was not the leading or featured scorer on stm last year but when he wanted to dominate he was unstoppable

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I believe AD will be the better player. From what I've seen, JS is mainly a below the rim player who uses his wide body to get position very well but is not as athletic. On a side note, I must admit I never saw him play before he got to Ohio State, and when I heard Jared Sullinger mentioned as an impact freshman I pictured a prototypical big white kid like the ones that usually go to Duke. Did anyone else think the same based on his name before actually seeing him? It was kind of like the Seinfeld episode when Jerry was going to go on a date with a women whose last name was Chang or something like that and he pictured her as Chinese.

Reaction Score
I believe AD will be the better player. From what I've seen, JS is mainly a below the rim player who uses his wide body to get position very well but is not as athletic. On a side note, I must admit I never saw him play before he got to Ohio State, and when I heard Jared Sullinger mentioned as an impact freshman I pictured a prototypical big white kid like the ones that usually go to Duke. Did anyone else think the same based on his name before actually seeing him? It was kind of like the Seinfeld episode when Jerry was going to go on a date with a women whose last name was Chang or something like that and he pictured her as Chinese.

lol, I didn't see him until his senior year when ESPN broadcasted one his games but before the telecast I was reading about him and I thought he was going to be white too.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Andre Drummond does not need to work on his "motor." I know it's been a thing the recruiting analysts have been pushing, but it's a bunch of horseshit. My apologies, but hearing it thrown around so much now is starting to grate on my nerves.

Reaction Score
I know it's been a thing the recruiting analysts have been pushing, but it's a bunch of horsedarn. My apologies, but hearing it thrown around so much now is starting to grate on my nerves.
lol. horseshit?

Reaction Score
Who said we're running our offense through Drummond? I really see this like UConn having a dominant center, like Hasheem Thabeet. We never ran offense through Thabeet, but he was an integral part of the inside outside game. The best part though is that we actually have a better shooter in Lamb than we did with anyone while Hasheem was playing (yes, Price and Dyson included!)

Andre Drummond and Alex Oriakhi will get touches on almost every possession. We're not running the offense like last year where we were just living and dying by the arc. That worked because we had great outside shooters and a mediocre inside. Now with these two working in tandem, at times, it would be pure lunacy not running inside-out plays opening both Drummond and Lamb.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Who said we're running our offense through Drummond? I really see this like UConn having a dominant center, like Hasheem Thabeet. We never ran offense through Thabeet, but he was an integral part of the inside outside game. The best part though is that we actually have a better shooter in Lamb than we did with anyone while Hasheem was playing (yes, Price and Dyson included!)

Andre Drummond and Alex Oriakhi will get touches on almost every possession. We're not running the offense like last year where we were just living and dying by the arc. That worked because we had great outside shooters and a mediocre inside. Now with these two working in tandem, at times, it would be pure lunacy not running inside-out plays opening both Drummond and Lamb.
JC will evaluate the team and decide who he runs the offense through. I wouldn't rule Andre out although I would think it would be Jeremy. I'm not sure Thabeet is a player I would use to compare Andre. Hasheem struggled on the offensive end and that probably necessitated a limitation in plays going his way.

Reaction Score
JC will evaluate the team and decide who he runs the offense through. I wouldn't rule Andre out although I would think it would be Jeremy. I'm not sure Thabeet is a player I would use to compare Andre. Hasheem struggled on the offensive end and that probably necessitated a limitation in plays going his way.

After watching AD's videos in the video thread I have to say that Im not impressed with his offensive game. His offense is not polished the way Sullinger or Carmelo was in their frosh years. I do like the way he moves and he has a bounce in his step, unlike a Bynum or Oden. So like everyone else, I guess Im saying he is raw but has tons of potential and I dont think he will prone to injuries like most big men.

As far as next season, they have to run the offense through Lamb, AO, Roscoe and even Deandre Daniels, before we run it through Drummond. AD is just not ready to contribute in the Big East on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom