January 2021 UConn recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

January 2021 UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to whether BYers think she (Todd) would be a fit for UConn based on who has been targeted and who is coming in.
I'm personally skeptical about Todd's ability to play at UCONN based on the videos I've seen. She has a good set of combo guard skills and great size for the position but let's face it, with Paige, Azzi and company on board a good set of skills is not going to get you on the floor for UCONN.

Reaction Score
I'm personally skeptical about Todd's ability to play at UCONN based on the videos I've seen. She has a good set of combo guard skills and great size for the position but let's face it, with Paige, Azzi and company on board a good set of skills is not going to get you on the floor for UCONN.

Okay - so it's not just me. Phew! ?

Personally, from what I know of the people associated with her program, I suspect it's to help them gain attention, especially this year with no competition. Royal Crown goal was to play at GEICO Nationals. If it worked as they had planned, it was going to be huge in their effort to grow their program's exposure.

I haven't been a fan of the whole social media hype machine that has become more common here in Canada. I get it to an extent, but it doesn't really show how these kids are during a full game or on the sidelines. And how it can be manipulated to make it look a certain way doesn't help. Some coaches are getting fooled and find out too late.

Reaction Score
Is there any update on the status/interest (mutual) in Nika or Anna sisters? They both looked pretty talented in last year's videos. Maybe they aren't even playing in Europe.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there any update on the status/interest (mutual) in Nika or Anna sisters? They both looked pretty talented in last year's videos. Maybe they aren't even playing in Europe.
I don't recall seeing any updates regarding UCONN interest in either sister.
I did read something on Bluestar recently where Mike Flynn called Anna's sister one of the best for her age group in Europe. Mike was all in an Nika well before anyone else was. I lost track what class would they be?

Reaction Score
I agree on Todd, I also question Lester's ability to play at UConn due to her lack of a motor. I recently read some critiques from scouts about her inability to play hard and hustle, I then watched some film on her and it jumps out at you even in highlight videos. I just don't see a player with a lack of hustle fitting in too well under Coach Auriemma. My dream 22 class is Brady, Patterson, and Rice/Paris. However, I think Patterson is going to be a tough get considering Ducharme and Poffenbarger play the same position as her. If we miss out on Patterson I would certainly take Bransford, but I am not sure her game is going to translate well to the collegiate level. Right now she primarily scores by abusing undersized girls and getting to rim, that is not going to work against stronger college athletes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay - so it's not just me. Phew! ?

Personally, from what I know of the people associated with her program, I suspect it's to help them gain attention, especially this year with no competition. Royal Crown goal was to play at GEICO Nationals. If it worked as they had planned, it was going to be huge in their effort to grow their program's exposure.

I haven't been a fan of the whole social media hype machine that has become more common here in Canada. I get it to an extent, but it doesn't really show how these kids are during a full game or on the sidelines. And how it can be manipulated to make it look a certain way doesn't help. Some coaches are getting fooled and find out too late.
No it’s not just you.
I’m a Scar fan but I check out UConn prospects some even if they are not being recruited. When she announced UConn and Scar among her finalists, I checked out some of her videos. Atlthouh I am not a professional by any means, I just did not see the level of talent shown by other prospects that SCar and UConn are involved with. Those prospects show dominance at the AAU level against other nationally regarded prospects.

again, I am no expert and only Geno and Dawn know if they are seriously involved with her.

Reaction Score
Nice strong, physical guard. And she could show the posts how to drop step and extend with one hand. ;)
I like the fact that she can finish with either hand. Also that when she makes a bucket she turns around and runs back on defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree on Todd, I also question Lester's ability to play at UConn due to her lack of a motor. I recently read some critiques from scouts about her inability to play hard and hustle, I then watched some film on her and it jumps out at you even in highlight videos. I just don't see a player with a lack of hustle fitting in too well under Coach Auriemma. My dream 22 class is Brady, Patterson, and Rice/Paris. However, I think Patterson is going to be a tough get considering Ducharme and Poffenbarger play the same position as her. If we miss out on Patterson I would certainly take Bransford, but I am not sure her game is going to translate well to the collegiate level. Right now she primarily scores by abusing undersized girls and getting to rim, that is not going to work against stronger college athletes.
I did a similar deeper look on Lester when she popped up as a UCONN prospect a few months ago and was shocked to find out that Dan Olson at ESPN in his last two reviews pretty much blasted her work ethic.
Nov' 19 Dan Wrote: "(Lester) has the tools to impact at the next level and the work ethic to submit to mediocrity."
Dec '19
Dan Wrote; "the work ethic needs to match and exceed the skill level."
I don't see UCONN in her future.
I also don't see Patterson competing with Saylor for minutes and definitely not Caroline. I think she more of a 4/3 who could work perfectly with Ice 4/5 and Deberry 5/4. Patterson's main competition afs or minutes might come from AE.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like the fact that she can finish with either hand. Also that when she makes a bucket she turns around and runs back on defense.
I'd definitely take KK for UCONN because as time goes on it's going to be harder for UCONN to recruit these types of players that a good enough to play and contribute but also accepting of a role backing up a starter that contending for AA honors.

Reaction Score
I did a similar deeper look on Lester when she popped up as a UCONN prospect a few months ago and was shocked to find out that Dan Olson at ESPN in his last two reviews pretty much blasted her work ethic.
Nov' 19 Dan Wrote: "(Lester) has the tools to impact at the next level and the work ethic to submit to mediocrity."
Dec '19
Dan Wrote; "the work ethic needs to match and exceed the skill level."
I don't see UCONN in her future.
I also don't see Patterson competing with Saylor for minutes and definitely not Caroline. I think she more of a 4/3 who could work perfectly with Ice 4/5 and Deberry 5/4. Patterson's main competition afs or minutes might come from AE.
Regarding Lester, from the limited video I saw I agree with Olson. Plus her competition looked to be roughly Jr High level. As for Patterson, I don’t see her competing with anyone for PT. It would be a 4 kid rotation with those two plus AE up front. DeBerry is the one who’d have to really compete because those 3 will be animals inside.

Reaction Score
I wonder sometimes if players like Todd, Lester, maybe Paris are still drawing modest interest as more of a backup plan, if significant transfers occur. At face value, as mentioned, it is hard to see them being impact players here if the currently recruited players are still here. If Geno gets another Patterson/Rice level player the interest in second tier players pretty much disappears IMO unless we have major defections. Even then if immediate eligibility for transfers becomes the norm in future years, that might be a better plan B anyway for a quick fix.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder sometimes if players like Todd, Lester, maybe Paris are still drawing modest interest as more of a backup plan, if significant transfers occur. At face value, as mentioned, it is hard to see them being impact players here if the currently recruited players are still here. If Geno gets another Patterson/Rice level player the interest in second tier players pretty much disappears IMO unless we have major defections. Even then if immediate eligibility for transfers becomes the norm in future years, that might be a better plan B anyway for a quick fix.
There is room to add Ice, another impact player and a role player in 22 which would only bring the roster to 13 or a Max of 14. This assumes that CW, Evina & ONO do not use their additional year of eligibility and that Anna turns pro at the end of the 22 season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thanks for that. I almost forgotten about KK. Very Jackie Young ( workman) like in these highlights. I didn't see deep ball in these highlights but I like everything else I saw. Hopefully the one leg wrapped is a fashion statement and not injury related. That lack of a deep ball might be a concern, she was the only guard at USA basketball U16 that did not even attempt a 3 ball.

UConn's two big guard targets (Rice, Bransford) both have shooting as their biggest weaknesses. Bransford's a poor shooter right now, Rice supposedly has improved. Jackson was my favorite guard but, alas....

If UConn could somehow get one of those guards and Patterson to go with Brady it might be the #1 class again. Certainly a contender.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Local report on '23 POI Chloe Clardy including a comparison to Christyn Williams which I think is mostly due to being from the same state.

"Last year as a freshman, I think she looked to score a whole hell of a lot more than she does now," North Little Rock Coach Daryl Fimple said. "She makes her teammates a lot better, and I think that's the best praise you can give any kid.

"She understands where traps are coming and how to get it out of her hands and she never panics. Her body language is spectacular for a sophomore. I've never seen anything like it in terms of composure."

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Bradford reminds me of Aubrey and Mir. Obviously, I think there is room for those type of players at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Some Azzi Fudd highlights from the January 18th game noted here earlier:

Impressive. Would like to see how she she does against a team with tall defenders, both on her and shot blockers. After her past injury, nice to see her move quickly off the dribble and be able to create her own shot.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Impressive. Would like to see how she she does against a team with tall defenders, both on her and shot blockers. After her past injury, nice to see her move quickly off the dribble and be able to create her own shot.
Based on the fearsome reputation of Azzi's jump shot, and assuming that UConn's starting backcourt next year consists of Paige and Azzi, is there any chance that this duo will come to be known as "PB and the J"?

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but they will certainly be known as ka&w.The K and the W are kick and win. :)

Reaction Score
After watching the video of Fudd I had to laugh at the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of HS mask rules. They are so "concerned" about the spread of COVID that they force these kids to wear masks while playing, but then allow 50+ fans into a tiny bandbox size gym to watch. Also got a chuckle at the fact that NONE of the players wore the mask correctly, they all had them down around their throat, and rightfully so, I can't imagine trying to breathe through a mask while playing basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
After watching the video of Fudd I had to laugh at the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of HS mask rules. They are so "concerned" about the spread of COVID that they force these kids to wear masks while playing, but then allow 50+ fans into a tiny bandbox size gym to watch. Also got a chuckle at the fact that NONE of the players wore the mask correctly, they all had them down around their throat, and rightfully so, I can't imagine trying to breathe through a mask while playing basketball.
Some of these states rules are ridiculous. I mean wear a mask or don't wear a mask. Games can be played with masks on (like actually on), we're doing it up here in MA. Had to do it during soccer season too. The kids are adaptable, they get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom