Jana's New Adventure as a Husky | The Boneyard

Jana's New Adventure as a Husky

Reaction Score
What might it be like for Jana to play with the Huskies? Her experience in high school and for the Egyptian team may not have prepared her for the world of hoops she's about to enter.
  • Geno and CD will expect much from her. She'll be expected to run the floor more vigorously than ever before, to get out on high hedges on defense, to be unafraid to shoot from down low as well as in the mid range and from the perimeter, and to move her feet tirelessly to box out for rebounds.
  • Paige and the rest of the guards will demand much from her, and they'll also get her the ball in surprising ways and in decisive moments. Much will be given to her and much will be expected.
  • Paige and KK and Kaitlyn and Azzi and Sarah will need her to set screens with finesse and power.
  • She will have to develop her own passing game.
  • She'll have to avoid foul trouble.
It ought to be utterly exhilarating for Jana to play at UConn's pace and to take the chances Geno will want her to take. What a grand adventure she's about to undertake.

Reaction Score
She arrived in Jan of 2023 and spent a semester practicing and conditioning with the team until she was injured, in Aug. I believe. So she has experienced elite level basketball. Just not in a game.

UConn's front court looks stronger (right now) than it's been since 2015.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I actually believe that Geno will play her more in the paint than outside. She has enough teammates that can shoot from the outside. When she is in the paint they would have to have a body on her at all times, most likely making it harder for teams to double team Paige, Azzi, Kaitlyn and any other shooting guard/forward.

Reaction Score
I actually believe that Geno will play her more in the paint than outside.
I think you’re right. This is one of the adjustments she’ll have to get used to, since on the Egyptian teams the guards were not adept at passing into the paint. In order to get the ball at all, Jana typically had to come out to get a pass and then drive or shoot from there. Receiving the ball in the low post may feel like a luxury and a new challenge for her.

Of course, her high school experience also means she’s gotten good at driving the lane, rather like Aaliyah became in her last two seasons. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a C who could do this well. And there’s something especially intimidating about trying to guard someone that big who moves that well with the ball. Stewie and Rebecca had this ability too. I can’t think of anyone else.

Reaction Score
I actually believe that Geno will play her more in the paint than outside. She has enough teammates that can shoot from the outside. When she is in the paint they would have to have a body on her at all times, most likely making it harder for teams to double team Paige, Azzi, Kaitlyn and any other shooting guard/forward.
Agree. Especially the double team part. We're impossible to double with all of our shooting threats.

I will say that I could honestly see him play Jana on the midrange/outside for spacing purposes because now that's a viable option.

Like you said, Jana will need a body on her at all times. So if he puts her back away from the basket, the defender will follow her, and the paint/lanes get less crowded as a result. If they don't follow her out, Jana's wide open for a jumpshot, which I think she's capable of according to highlights?

Sarah can feast on whoever is on her, especially if she doesn't need to worry about Jana's defender doubling her under there. Or somebody like PB can find that opening in the lane and go for the backdoor cut. Last year, spacing wasn't really an option due to a limited roster, hence why Aaliyah got assaulted under the basket every time she had the ball. This year, we can utilize the fact our bigs can shoot and use it to lessen the crowding in certain areas.

Same goes for the perimeter players. If Jana and Sarah both play down below, they'll likely attract a double team. Kick it out to whoever's on the perimeter for an easy 3.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All of the options mentioned are real possibilites. Much will depend on the chemistry of the players on the court and what combinagion of players will be used.

And things could change, improve, from games in November to March. It will also depend on how many players Geno will use in a regular rotation.

I don't see Jana being limited to just the low post. Same way I don't see Sarah being limited to playing in the low post. Both are too talented for that.

The opportunity to run an offense similar to the men's program is a real possibility. That offense has proven to be extremely difficult to defend.

Let's not forget, lockdown defense.

Reaction Score
By the time Uconn opens it's season, JANA will have enough practice games to prove she will be the opening 5 on the team. From watching her FIBA games ,JANA is ready and I expect great things from her. The team as a whole,has not had a chance to play together yet and in 3 or 4 actual games, they will quickly come together to be a NEW cohesive unit of destruction in Women's BB.Uconn will shock the BB world in 24-25. GO FRESHMEN!!! GO SOPHOMORES!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I would love to see Jana playing more in the post, like in the dunker spot. I think she would be scary around the block and dunker spot, especially if she can knock down those short mid-range jumpers or sky hook. If she has hands, vision, shooting touch, and footwork, she is going to be a joy to watch over the next four years.

Reaction Score
Jana's ball handling and ability to take it to the basket from the perimeter are pretty rare. In many of her games at FIBA it seemed to me the guards on her team were pretty terrible at getting her the ball inside, so she just came outside to get it, and create for herself.

Obviously the passers are much better here and I expect her to score inside and outside. She might be as much 4 as 5, but on this team is needed much more at the 5. Similarly Sarah and Aubrey could be considered 3/4's, but this season will be needed mostly at the 4, and in Sarah and Jana's case, we need them to be good enough to start there right away.

Reaction Score
A lot of team success could hinge on if she is the player we have been lead to believe and what Ice can provide also. Will we get consistent good play as we saw on occasion last year or more of frustration?

Reaction Score
Jana's ball handling and ability to take it to the basket from the perimeter are pretty rare. In many of her games at FIBA it seemed to me the guards on her team were pretty terrible at getting her the ball inside, so she just came outside to get it, and create for herself.

Obviously the passers are much better here and I expect her to score inside and outside. She might be as much 4 as 5, but on this team is needed much more at the 5. Similarly Sarah and Aubrey could be considered 3/4's, but this season will be needed mostly at the 4, and in Sarah and Jana's case, we need them to be good enough to start there right away.
Geno loves people who can create a shot, high hopes for her.

I think Sarah and Jana can both earn a starting spot, especially if Ice is still a little rocky. Realistically, Sarah’s only competition to beat is Ice. Jana basically has no competition because she’s the tallest person and the only center.

Reaction Score

I think Sarah and Jana can both earn a starting spot, especially if Ice is still a little rocky. Realistically, Sarah’s only competition to beat is Ice. Jana basically has no competition because she’s the tallest person and the only center.
I think Ice's skill set will determine whether she starts or not more than anything else. She is not well suited to the 5 and we really need one of those. But she prefers the midrange shot and playing face to the basket, and she likes the fadeaway. Her strengths are in turning rebounds into a quick outlet pass and in defensive footwork, which improved a lot late in the season. These all point to the 4, but the competition there will be fierce from Sarah Ayanna Morgan Q and Aubrey. Ice may start early in the season. But I wouldn't be surprised to see her come in as a 6th woman as the season progresses. She may also spell Jana at the 5 sometimes.

Currently, the 5 is Jana's position to lose, and I don't think that's going to happen. She will have so much support from all directions that she should feel unleashed.

Reaction Score
Expect UConn to play some sort of read and react. With all five players capable of shooting a three take them all outside the arc and nobody is left to protect the paint. Lots of pick and rolls, pick and pop, and back door cuts. Don't clog the paint. With Jana in the game they will spread the court. This will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I think Ice's skill set will determine whether she starts or not more than anything else. She is not well suited to the 5 and we really need one of those. But she prefers the midrange shot and playing face to the basket, and she likes the fadeaway. Her strengths are in turning rebounds into a quick outlet pass and in defensive footwork, which improved a lot late in the season. These all point to the 4, but the competition there will be fierce from Sarah Ayanna Morgan Q and Aubrey. Ice may start early in the season. But I wouldn't be surprised to see her come in as a 6th woman as the season progresses. She may also spell Jana at the 5 sometimes.

Currently, the 5 is Jana's position to lose, and I don't think that's going to happen. She will have so much support from all directions that she should feel unleashed.

I like your post except for El Alfy. Being tall doesn't make you a center. From all the highlights I saw she played a stretch 4 position. In fact there are very few true centers in D1 it's mostly 4's with some center skills.
Brady, El Alfy, Patterson and Strong are "front court" players to me, along with Patterson who I am still high on. I don't think El Alfy has any positional advantage over the others. UConn will run different things depending on which of them are on the court. At times there may be three of them out there together and at times only one. That alone will be an enormous advantage in games as opponents will have a hard time preparing for everything UConn can throw at them.

Reaction Score
All reports suggest that Jana has a fairly versatile game and can hit from 15-18 feet while also being reasonably good around the basket. In the past, Geno has liked to keep the lane unclogged against man defenses which would probably mean Jana plays outside bringing the other teams big out with her. That should really help our wings and PB get to the basket. Against zone, Jana will probably spend time down below hoping to draw a double and letting Azzi, PB et al have some open looks. As some other posters have indicated , we haven't really had a big for quite some time that operates in the paint( think Tina). Nice to have some options.

Reaction Score

Competition at the 4 actually shouldn’t be too bad. Morgan is possibly one of the most versatile players on that team, she can play a 1-4 because she’s tall and has guard training. Q can be a 2-3 with the shot she’s developing and if she can use her length to play D, even better. So realistically, it could be just 3 players instead of 5.

IMO the people contending for the 4 position are Sarah/Ice/Ayanna. Aubrey is meant to come off the bench as a tempo changer/a burst of energy for 3-5 minutes then sit back and do it again. Whoever starts will have a good backup tho. Sarah starts, Ice is a good sub, and vice versa. I have a feeling we’ll see a lot of that next season.

Reaction Score
I like your post except for El Alfy. Being tall doesn't make you a center. From all the highlights I saw she played a stretch 4 position. In fact there are very few true centers in D1 it's mostly 4's with some center skills.
Brady, El Alfy, Patterson and Strong are "front court" players to me, along with Patterson who I am still high on. I don't think El Alfy has any positional advantage over the others. UConn will run different things depending on which of them are on the court. At times there may be three of them out there together and at times only one. That alone will be an enormous advantage in games as opponents will have a hard time preparing for everything UConn can throw at them.
El Alfy seems to be qualified as a center on some ESPN reports. Not sure though. Definitely a stretch big, maybe a bit Dorka like position wise?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All reports suggest that Jana has a fairly versatile game and can hit from 15-18 feet while also being reasonably good around the basket. In the past, Geno has liked to keep the lane unclogged against man defenses which would probably mean Jana plays outside bringing the other teams big out with her. That should really help our wings and PB get to the basket. Against zone, Jana will probably spend time down below hoping to draw a double and letting Azzi, PB et al have some open looks. As some other posters have indicated , we haven't really had a big for quite some time that operates in the paint( think Tina). Nice to have some options.
That’s what I’ve been thinking. Stretch Jana out 10-15 feet, draw her defender, and give Sarah or the back door cutter a lot more room to operate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
El Alfy seems to be qualified as a center on some ESPN reports. Not sure though. Definitely a stretch big, maybe a bit Dorka like position wise?
She's definitely playing the five for us. That doesn't necessarily mean that she'll be back to the basket working people down low constantly. I would fully expect her to come out set screens, pass, and PnR.

Reaction Score
She's definitely playing the five for us. That doesn't necessarily mean that she'll be back to the basket working people down low constantly. I would fully expect her to come out set screens, pass, and PnR.
UCONN bigs typically operate that way right? Nobody’s glued to a position, everyone moves around on the floor. Especially if they can shoot.

Reaction Score

I think Sarah's competition will be Ice and Morgan. Morgan is a lot more mobile than the other two.

Reaction Score
I hear you and this seems fair. It's just that I've never been quite clear what the "stretch 4" terminology really means. Is it a 3 who can stretch to play the 4? Or is it a 4 who can stretch to play the 5? Or is it a 5 who can stretch to play the 4? In other words, is it always a stretch up, or can it be a stretch out?

Jana can definitely play the 4, by which I mean she can play facing the basket and she can drive the lane or the baseline. There's lots of evidence for this in the FIBA highlights, and these strike me as typical moves for a 4. But she can also play with her back to the basket and has an array of low post moves that are not fade away shots. There's lots of evidence for this in the same highlights.

Liv was a 5 pure and simple. She defended well from the low post and was at her best on offense with her back to the basket. She was also quite good passing from the top of the key, even though she wasn't much of a perimeter shooting threat. But she knew to keep the ball high out there and had a very good eye for cutters. But she didn't really have the handles to drive the lane or the baseline effectively. In the W, she's had to develop more power forward skills.

Dorka was mostly a 5, though her handles were better than Liv's and she was a perimeter shooting threat. She could drive the lane as well as play back to the basket. But she didn't often drive the baseline. Did this make her a stretch 4? I don't think so, since her game mostly made sense as a 5 who happened to shoot 3s well.

Aaliyah strikes me as a classic stretch 4 in this sense that she was undersized for the 5, yet when pressed to by circumstances she displayed effective low post moves and could be a rim protector. But she made more sense as a 4 given her midrange game and her ability to drive the lane and the baseline.

Of course, Stewie was maybe the definition of a stretch 4, since she spent 2 years playing the 4 next to mama Stef. But she also played 2 years as the primary 5. She had the full array of moves for both positions on offense and defense. Maybe most notably, she was a tremendous rim protector, which is a hallmark of a 5.

I've compared Jana to Stewie in the past and been criticized as if I'd claimed she's already just as good as Stewie. Of course, I never said that. However, the range of her skills is quite similar. She's either a 4 who can stretch up the to the 5, or a 5 who can stretch out to the 4. in this respect she's rather like Stewie was at the beginning of her career.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Would sitting on the bench watching a season of games help Jana as she embarks on her Husky play? Of course there is also game review, film and observing practice. She's a big brain. I can't wait. Will there be some lows along with the highs. Yes, sure, unless you are the Nat'l POY. ;)

Reaction Score
I think Sarah's competition will be Ice and Morgan. Morgan is a lot more mobile than the other two.
True, but she’s also someone who can play anywhere but the 5. She could compete for the 4, or she could go for the 3,2, or 1. It’s nice to have a player who can do everything.

Geno also mentioned he likes the fact she’s a good rebounding guard. Maybe he will play at a 3-4 most likely. Not sure she’ll see time at the 1-2 because of the talent there.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hear you and this seems fair. It's just that I've never been quite clear what the "stretch 4" terminology really means. Is it a 3 who can stretch to play the 4? Or is it a 4 who can stretch to play the 5? Or is it a 5 who can stretch to play the 4? In other words, is it always a stretch up, or can it be a stretch out?

Jana can definitely play the 4, by which I mean she can play facing the basket and she can drive the lane or the baseline. There's lots of evidence for this in the FIBA highlights, and these strike me as typical moves for a 4. But she can also play with her back to the basket and has an array of low post moves that are not fade away shots. There's lots of evidence for this in the same highlights.

Liv was a 5 pure and simple. She defended well from the low post and was at her best on offense with her back to the basket. She was also quite good passing from the top of the key, even though she wasn't much of a perimeter shooting threat. But she knew to keep the ball high out there and had a very good eye for cutters. But she didn't really have the handles to drive the lane or the baseline effectively. In the W, she's had to develop more power forward skills.

Dorka was mostly a 5, though her handles were better than Liv's and she was a perimeter shooting threat. She could drive the lane as well as play back to the basket. But she didn't often drive the baseline. Did this make her a stretch 4? I don't think so, since her game mostly made sense as a 5 who happened to shoot 3s well.

Aaliyah strikes me as a classic stretch 4 in this sense that she was undersized for the 5, yet when pressed to by circumstances she displayed effective low post moves and could be a rim protector. But she made more sense as a 4 given her midrange game and her ability to drive the lane and the baseline.

Of course, Stewie was maybe the definition of a stretch 4, since she spent 2 years playing the 4 next to mama Stef. But she also played 2 years as the primary 5. She had the full array of moves for both positions on offense and defense. Maybe most notably, she was a tremendous rim protector, which is a hallmark of a 5.

I've compared Jana to Stewie in the past and been criticized as if I'd claimed she's already just as good as Stewie. Of course, I never said that. However, the range of her skills is quite similar. She's either a 4 who can stretch up the to the 5, or a 5 who can stretch out to the 4. in this respect she's rather like Stewie was at the beginning of her career.
Heck, I always thought stretch-4 meant a 4 who could shoot from long and therefore would "stretch" the floor. But I never really knew.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom