Jana El Alfy will come to CT from Egypt next year. Meet the future Husky | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy will come to CT from Egypt next year. Meet the future Husky

Reaction Score
Jana will be a special force at Uconn. Go Huskies. A new kind of big, i.e., she can dribble, drive, post up and run the floor. Put her together with Aaliyah, Aubrey, Ayanna and Qadence and what do you have?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's with her 4-5 inch heels on. According to this site she's about 5-9.

She looks taller that 5-9 on TV. I looked up Rutgers' roster for 1981-82. Dailey is listed as 5-10. I stand corrected.

1672099829970.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to correct myself on Jana"s height. She's 6' 4" and it looks like she has a larger wing-span than Breanna's 7'1". Jana will be special player for Uconn and a surprise like Lou is. BIG future. GO JANA!! GO HUSKIES!!!
Very long arms and hands. Don't want to guess on wing spand but suspect those driving for layups against her will be able to tell us.

Reaction Score
Awesome article — one of the best I’ve seen from Maggie! 3 things really stood out to me (and remember, I suck at numbers):

1. She has a really long wingspan

2. She and Ehab make CD look small in the first pic, and CD is tall

3. She has handles and a good jump shot, definitely in the mold of Breanna

4. I love the high release point on her shot as in pic #24

5. Ehab says Geno is very honest. This is what every recruit says about him and it’s a key to his success. It’s how he built a dynasty — no false promises

6. Jana thinks CD is “mom.” She won’t be disappointed

7. Jana will be awesome playing next to Ice and Ayanna. They will dominate the low post and she’ll rule from the high post.

8. She will love playing with our guards. It will be a highlight for her

9. I’m beginning to see much more clearly how Q will fit into this team, at the 3 and occasionally the 4 next to Jana Ice Ayanna. We will have a mind boggling rotation in the front court, and the backcourt with KK Ashlynn Allie Inês.

10. Add someone like Sarah Strong to this rotation and we will be unbelievably great.
Welllllll, don't you think she will be able to help Aaliyah, Ice, Ayanna and hopefully a still around and improved Amari? Which means she gets to play with Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aubrey and Caroline as well. Not many minutes but who knows? After all, Stewie, Maya and a few more have contributed a lot as freshmen in the frontcourt. Another potential resource in neutralizing the frontcourts of South Carolina (though Boston will be gone) and Stanford.

Reaction Score
Welllllll, don't you think she will be able to help Aaliyah, Ice, Ayanna and hopefully a still around and improved Amari? Which means she gets to play with Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aubrey and Caroline as well. Not many minutes but who knows? After all, Stewie, Maya and a few more have contributed a lot as freshmen in the frontcourt. Another potential resource in neutralizing the frontcourts of South Carolina (though Boston will be gone) and Stanford.
Sure, why not? But this is not a thread focused on a specific season, which means I'm free to look further ahead than just next year. Feel free to limit yourself, but I'm gazing into a foggier future.

Reaction Score
Sure, why not? But this is not a thread focused on a specific season, which means I'm free to look further ahead than just next year. Feel free to limit yourself, but I'm gazing into a foggier future.
Indeed (feeling free) and nah (not limiting horizon).....I am simply pointing out that her significant usefulness could come as early as when she sets foot at UConn and not farther into the future. And that would mean, four years of increasingly major role in the team's success. After all, that means 2 more years of Azzi and if Paige decides she got cheated by injuries that kept her playing together with a fully healthy Azzi as originally planned, maybe two years of her too. Wouldn't that be something of an experience for Jana?

Next year may be the start of the multi-year NCs that Azzi mentioned when she signed - she was then anticipating playing with Paige through all seasons.....and the incoming guards will keep the balance in quality going after those two, Nika and Caroline leave.

If by some miracle they win this year, that would only be a bonus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indeed (feeling free) and nah (not limiting horizon).....I am simply pointing out that her significant usefulness could come as early as when she sets foot at UConn and not farther into the future. And that would mean, four years of increasingly major role in the team's success. After all, that means 2 more years of Azzi and if Paige decides she got cheated by injuries that kept her playing together with a fully healthy Azzi as originally planned, maybe two years of her too. Wouldn't that be something of an experience for Jana?

Next year may be the start of the multi-year NCs that Azzi mentioned when she signed - she was then anticipating playing with Paige through all seasons.....and the incoming guards will keep the balance in quality going after those two, Nika and Caroline leave.

If by some miracle they win this year, that would only be a bonus.
I'm right there with you in these speculations. But in my current mood, I'm focusing on NC #15-16 (which I'll dub the Jana NCs -- feel free to append other names if you like), not merely #12-13. I like to think big big big!

Reaction Score
I'm right there with you in these speculations. But in my current mood, I'm focusing on NC #15-16 (which I'll dub the Jana NCs -- feel free to append other names if you like), not merely #12-13. I like to think big big big!
Hey! I said start next year for multi-year NCs. Who says it can't be a repeat of Stewie's run given that Jana wants to be like her and everybody seems to be picking up on that.....I am simply making it clear that the players already committed can make it so.

I understand you are underplaying her role for the next two years because of those already here but the last piece of the puzzle - even if only a small piece in terms of minutes - can make the whole complete and dominant! (no weakness for 40 minutes, complete flexibility, always have an answer against any opponent's combination by mixing and matching to maintain an advantage)......[we'll have to see who she is with for her senior year but UConn seems to be having a good recruiting run - there's a big in Portugal they may be looking at]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey! I said start next year for multi-year NCs. Who says it can't be a repeat of Stewie's run given that Jana wants to be like her and everybody seems to be picking up on that.....I am simply making it clear that the players already committed can make it so.

I understand you are underplaying her role for the next two years because of those already here but the last piece of the puzzle - even if only a small piece in terms of minutes - can make the whole complete and dominant!
Don't worry about me. I have been fantasizing about what next year will bring for awhile now. A back court of Nika Azzi Paige CD and maybe Aubrey and a front court of Aaliyah Ayanna Ice and Jana sounds like pretty awesome main rotation to me as is. Throw in a secondary rotation of KK Ashlynn Q Inês and Amari and we're looking pretty loaded. We will have 14 players to work with.

I say Nika continues to start at pg next year because she is the straw that stirs the break, and Paige Azzi and CD share the overall minutes with her -- that's 120 mins spread across 4 (maybe 5) players. And in the front court, right now the only sure thing seems to be Aaliyah with the others rotating in around her -- 4 (maybe 5) players sharing 80 mins. Bye bye foul problems. Following the pattern of this November and December, the veterans dominate the OOC games to solidify their chemistry and set the tone, and then let all the new kids find their place in the conference games in January. Come mid-February, I expect Geno will have identified his primary 5+2 (or 3) rotation for the tournaments, and then they will dominate the minutes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by CBS

Reaction Score
Don't worry about me. I have been fantasizing about what next year will bring for awhile now. A back court of Nika Azzi Paige CD and maybe Aubrey and a front court of Aaliyah Ayanna Ice and Jana sounds like pretty awesome main rotation to me as is. Throw in a secondary rotation of KK Ashlynn Q Inês and Amari and we're looking pretty loaded. We will have 14 players to work with.

I say Nika continues to start at pg next year because she is the straw that stirs the break, and Paige Azzi and CD share the overall minutes with her -- that's 120 mins spread across 4 (maybe 5) players. And in the front court, right now the only sure thing seems to be Aaliyah with the others rotating in around her -- 4 (maybe 5) players sharing 80 mins. Bye bye foul problems. Following the pattern of this November and December, the veterans dominate the OOC games to solidify their chemistry and set the tone, and then let all the new kids find their place in the conference games in January. Come mid-February, I expect Geno will have identified his primary 5+2 (or 3) rotation for the tournaments, and then they will dominate the minutes.
I completely agree. I think you get:
G-Nika
G-Azzi
G-Paige
F-Aaliyah
F-??

Paige ends up playing this DT like guard facilitator role. The 5th starter could be Caroline, Aubrey, Ice, or dark horse Jana. Sorry but Patterson and Amari just don't look like they'll be ready. Ice was the more college ready of the freshman in my opinion. Patterson is more athletic but Ice is already a baller.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. I think you get:
G-Nika
G-Azzi
G-Paige
F-Aaliyah
F-??

Paige ends up playing this DT like guard facilitator role. The 5th starter could be Caroline, Aubrey, Ice, or dark horse Jana. Sorry but Patterson and Amari just don't look like they'll be ready. Ice was the more college ready of the freshman in my opinion. Patterson is more athletic but Ice is already a baller.
It is a good start, all of them with experience with near full, intuitive understanding of playing the UConnWBB way: speed, read and react, switching, etc. Paige is the weak link defensively but she is fairly good. As Nika continues to gain confidence with her shooting, it would turn into a pick your poison team on the floor. But it is not the fastest combination. So, Aubrey's speed and athleticism, rebounding and growing confidence in offense (she and Nika have plenty of opportunities and time this year to gain more), Aubrey would be my choice for the 5th starter.

For most opposing teams they will face, this would be a devastating combination of speed, scoring and defense. There are a few teams with big front courts (though Boston will be gone from SC, Cardoso and another batch of tall forwards already on the roster). Coach can quickly rotate size (Ice first, most likely) and either take out Aubrey or Nika, depending on the situation. If he wants more scoring, Caroline comes in, also for either one.

Jana will have to learn a lot to be in sync with those upperclasswomen, so it would be a miracle if she earns a starting spot. But by the end of the year, she could be a significant rotation piece in the frontcourt with Ice. I wouldn't put a limit on how fast Ayanna learns to control her body and grow more in sync with the rest - she has this year to get that done; Ice does not, no matter how much more ready she was when she came in. You are quite right about Amari.

There will be little opportunity for the young trio against strong opponents......that would likely include Jana in the first part of the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best pure post player is probably Ice and even Ice may not be a pure post. We have 5 fantastic 4"s. We will still struggle to stop a Boston/Brinks type talent defensively but we should be good enough to limit the damage and we have our own strengths. I don't see anyone at SC or Stanford as good as our guards next year. With Paige and Azzi I think we win that battle.

Reaction Score
Taking one for the team..................doing what you have to do, going where you have to go including riding a camel, a donkey or an elephant. The things a coach will do to gain a recruit's (and their family) favor. I wonder what CD's thoughts were just before climbing about that camel? :confused: I'd bet the farm that was her first camel ride.
I rode on a camel with my kids when they were young! An elephant too! They loved it!

Reaction Score
Yes, but back in those days 5'10" was much taller than 5'10" today! :rolleyes:
Once I said "hello" to CD outside of Gampel. She was wearing sneakers. I was a little surprised at how short she was, 5'10" is about right. She played center for Rutgers?? I guess 5'10" was a lot taller back in those days.

CD probably looks taller on TV because she's always in heels and she stands next to Geno a lot. Inês doesn't look so short standing next to Geno.

Jana's father looks like a beast (in a good way).

Reaction Score
View attachment 82364

Taking one for the team..................doing what you have to do, going where you have to go including riding a camel, a donkey or an elephant. The things a coach will do to gain a recruit's (and their family) favor. I wonder what CD's thoughts were just before climbing about that camel? :confused: I'd bet the farm that was her first camel ride.
As I have heard before, "a camel is just a horse that has gone thru the legislative process".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As I have heard before, "a camel is just a horse that has gone thru the legislative process".
CD should promenently display a copy of that picture somewhere in her office (for all visitors to see) as a testiment to how far UConn (she) will go to recruit a "coveted" player. :) I wonder if at some point while she was riding that camel she was thinking......."Geno, you owe me". :oops:

Reaction Score
The best pure post player is probably Ice and even Ice may not be a pure post. We have 5 fantastic 4"s. We will still struggle to stop a Boston/Brinks type talent defensively but we should be good enough to limit the damage and we have our own strengths. I don't see anyone at SC or Stanford as good as our guards next year. With Paige and Azzi I think we win that battle.
Agree with your assessment of how many fantastic 4's we will have. One reason Jana is so important is along with Ice, those two might be considered 4/5's, and the most talented if inexperienced options to consume the minutes at the 5. We could always play Aaliyah some there, but I am hoping in her senior potential All American season, we can keep her at her natural and best position. I also think that Ayanna is looking more and more like the 4 is best for her as well.

With a growing consensus that Nika, Azzi, Paige and Aaliyah will start and be great, the main question mark is the 5. If one of the two additions in Ice or Jana can be ready to start, and the other provide good backup minutes we are obviously set. The talent is there, but so is the inexperience, so that development will be the main question next preseason. The backup talent at the guard positions should be terrific as well, so in some ways Ice and Jana are the final pieces of a great puzzle.

Reaction Score
I’m wondering how many NCs Geno has won without a pure 5. I’m guessing the answer is “more than a few.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom