Jana El Alfy to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy to UConn

Reaction Score
Without question this is one of the best recruiting classes UCONN has ever had!

Reaction Score
Watched the Madagascar game. Jana is athletic and she is well coached. She made 2 smooth 3 pointers and she passed well. She keeps it simple when possible and sets up just in front of the basket and has decent moves. Several times she was triple teamed. My sense is she is a solid team mate who sincerely roots for others. I like her handle for a big but she's not a guard. She has the makings of a power forward with some scoring skill. She runs the floor well but is going to need some breaks in PT. She can play post but will be scored on in top level competition. Not a big jumper. A Larry Bird type big. She's still very young though and has potential. She has one of the best handles I've seen for a post player. Ideally she's a power forward, certainly in the pros. Very likeable. Competitive. Sometimes almost goal hung as she likes to run. Someone should offer her team mate Salmon a division 1 scholarship also as she can play. Decent post player. They were Africa's twin towers.

I gotta say it was refreshing to see the kids from Madagascar signing in the stands during the game. There was a sense of community you don't often see in America. African culture is very special in so many ways. Everyone happy and positive.

Reaction Score
In terms of immediate impact, El Alfy may be the most important of the 2023 recruits. KK, Ashlyn and Q are players that are more needed down the road, but can still provide help their first year. The C candidates for next year were Ice and Amari. One we expect to be good in Ice, but she will be recovering from injury, and Amari has shown nothing thus far, making her a big question mark even as a limited minutes backup C.

It would be a shame if in Paige and Azzi's first and maybe last year playing healthy together, one position was a weak link in their championship pursuit. It wasn't a huge one, but having to rely on Amari for starter or backup minutes next year until she proves something, could have been the most unsettling factor heading into next year.

Now we add another player to the mix, that even as a raw freshmen, can probably raise the floor and the ceiling for that position. If Amari doesn't make a major move upward, she won't have to play at all. Without El Alfy it is possible Geno would have had to use her far more than he wanted to.

Yes the lack of experience is still a factor, and Ice and Jana should be much better players later in their careers, but at least now we can throw two talented players at the position and not have to rely on a big question mark.
Exactly! We also will have Edwards and Patterson and maybe Aubrey. That should be enough to hold it down on the post because our guards and wing spots will be crazy DEEP! I’m not sure of everyone else roster next year but if we don’t win it all next year, then we may never win it again. Barring injuries of course.

Reaction Score
It might be fun to play the national anthem of one of the foreign players at home games.

Great for international relations.

Also, foreign players could think that it would be cool for that to happen for them.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know about where she might be ranked if the rating services included overseas players? Top 10, top 50, etc?

Reaction Score
Great get for UConn, she doesn't shy away from the basket. It looks to me like her shooting technique from outside is a push from the shoulder, kind of like a shot put, but then again I haven't see a whole lot of video. What a recruiting class this has been!

Reaction Score
I expect Jana to succeed and quickly find her comfort zone. UCONN players not only accept foreign players, but they embrace them from Day One. There is ony a short acclimation period before a new foreign recruit is "one of the gals".

Reaction Score
Exactly! We also will have Edwards and Patterson and maybe Aubrey. That should be enough to hold it down on the post because our guards and wing spots will be crazy DEEP! I’m not sure of everyone else roster next year but if we don’t win it all next year, then we may never win it again. Barring injuries of course.
The ESPN Top 25 Women's Basketball Recruiting Classes article, which ranked UConn as #3, referred to El-Alfy as a "finesse forward." Can anyone who has seen her play comment on her ability to "hold down the post?" Stewie was somewhat of a finesse player but with some encouragement from Geno, did great in the post. Hoping El'Alfy is a "Stewie!"

Reaction Score
I suggested above that she’s quite a bit like Stewie. Not quite as mobile, but still very mobile, not quite the perimeter shooter, but has good range, not quite the wingspan but can block shots. She has good handles, though I wouldn’t want her regularly bringing the ball up the floor. I can imagine using her to break presses occasionally. I think she may be a bit stronger than Stewie was a freshman.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know about where she might be ranked if the rating services included overseas players? Top 10, top 50, etc?
I think you have to rank her ahead of ADR. Maybe roughly where folks thought Cunningham belonged, if not higher.

Reaction Score
I suggested above that she’s quite a bit like Stewie. Not quite as mobile, but still very mobile, not quite the perimeter shooter, but has good range, not quite the wingspan but can block shots. She has good handles, though I wouldn’t want her regularly bringing the ball up the floor. I can imagine using her to break presses occasionally. I think she may be a bit stronger than Stewie was a freshman.
Think this is a pretty accurate assessment. She may be more 4 than 5, but for us I think the need is greater at the 5 and she has enough bulk and strength to bang with most C's and will be far more mobile.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The ESPN Top 25 Women's Basketball Recruiting Classes article, which ranked UConn as #3, referred to El-Alfy as a "finesse forward." Can anyone who has seen her play comment on her ability to "hold down the post?" Stewie was somewhat of a finesse player but with some encouragement from Geno, did great in the post. Hoping El'Alfy is a "Stewie!"
While she has ball handling skills, I would not refer to El-Alfy as a finesse forward. She is a big strong girl who has the ability to post up on offense and defend the post on defense.

Reaction Score
I think you have to rank her ahead of ADR. Maybe roughly where folks thought Cunningham belonged, if not higher.
Thanks. So certainly top 10, maybe even top 5. I’ll take either!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom