Jana and The Newbies | The Boneyard

Jana and The Newbies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Following the early signing period in November ESPN ranked UConn’s recruiting class #6 behind USC, SC, UCLA, TX & Duke. That was before #1 Sarah Strong announced her decision to attend UConn. If you add in 6’5” Jana to that group, a Big with a skill set very similar to Stewie, you can make a pretty strong argument that UConn’s incoming class is the best in the nation.

With Paige and all the returning players, assuming that most of this season’s walking wounded are ready to go, UConn should have a formidable lineup next year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I actually disliked this video the most of all his stuff, because of the transfer speculation at the very end. It made me want to punch him in the mouth.
I think what he said about transfers was realistic and made sense. We just can't discuss that subject on the Boneyard, and I am glad it is forbidden.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Decent summation of the coming season. Yes, there will be competition for minutes and that is as it should be.

I agree with his projected starting lineup.

As to tranfers, didn't need that in the video. We have no idea how Geno is going to play it with eventually of 13 healthy players.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I watched earlier and I have zero issues with the commentary. I love the high praise of Jana. With the freshies. We will see but I have zero issues with the commentary, and I am looking forward to next season.
I strongly urge Boneyarders to subscribe to his Youtube channel. He does excellent UConn videos, many with new information. He also does some videos on WCBB in general. His videos are a starting point for meaningful discussions.

Reaction Score
I wish there was a short "Junior Varsity" season in late Summer. Freshman, sophomores and walkons only. Maybe a month of games in August (don't most freshmen take summer-school classes?) Maybe 8 games against nearby schools so travel is not a great expense or time-waster. Bus rides - not planes. Of course, not very team would have enough players to do it every year.

Oh well, I'm a dreamer

Reaction Score
I will go along with anyone who says that with Jana, the freshman class will be the best in the nation. It is likely true but the ultimate test will be come March. The minor caveat is that Jana had a semester practicing with the team, so she is a freshman only as a technicality.

Barring the unforeseen, two of these freshmen will be starters well before tournament time: Jana and Sarah, and if they get comfortable in their roles as expected, they will form a formidable frontcourt with Aubrey and Ice. Anything Ayanna brings to the party will be icing on the cake. The other two incoming are of the size and ability that Coach G likes for playing positionless basketball. If these two guards/wing adapt quickly as expected, the team depth will be mouth-watering compared to recent years. It would allow Coach G to deploy them in multiple defenses as needed and in waves on offense. Aubrey and KK will be key in a pressure defense but Paige has shown she will hold her own. Both Azzi and Ashlynn have shown they can cover. Hence, there are enough bodies to deploy for it to be an excellent change of pace for the defense.

If the rotation needs to be shortened against particular opponents, he will have multiple sets of capabilities at his command to counter whatever they face. Assuming they all remain healthy, I don't really see any team able to prevent them from adding NC12 regardless of what happens in the transfer market. As LSU showed this past year, a good haul from the transfer portal does not guarantee the desired outcome. In contrast, SoCar already had most of the reliable pieces in place. One transfer addition (PaoPao) and one freshman made the whole probably better than last year.

This 2024-2025 UConn roster as constituted does not need reinforcements from transfers to be formidable. All that needs to happen is to give them a chance, develop them and sort things out in the usual way the coaching staff does during the season and pray good health finally is visited upon them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will go along with anyone who says that with Jana, the freshman class will be the best in the nation. It is likely true but the ultimate test will be come March. The minor caveat is that Jana had a semester practicing with the team, so she is a freshman only as a technicality.

Barring the unforeseen, two of these freshmen will be starters well before tournament time: Jana and Sarah, and if they get comfortable in their roles as expected, they will form a formidable frontcourt with Aubrey and Ice. Anything Ayanna brings to the party will be icing on the cake. The other two incoming are of the size and ability that Coach G likes for playing positionless basketball. If these two guards/wing adapt quickly as expected, the team depth will be mouth-watering compared to recent years. It would allow Coach G to deploy them in multiple defenses as needed and in waves on offense. Aubrey and KK will be key in a pressure defense but Paige has shown she will hold her own. Both Azzi and Ashlynn have shown they can cover. Hence, there are enough bodies to deploy for it to be an excellent change of pace for the defense.

If the rotation needs to be shortened against particular opponents, he will have multiple sets of capabilities at his command to counter whatever they face. Assuming they all remain healthy, I don't really see any team able to prevent them from adding NC12 regardless of what happens in the transfer market. As LSU showed this past year, a good haul from the transfer portal does not guarantee the desired outcome. In contrast, SoCar already had most of the reliable pieces in place. One transfer addition (PaoPao) and one freshman made the whole probably better than last year.

This 2024-2025 UConn roster as constituted does not need reinforcements from transfers to be formidable. All that needs to happen is to give them a chance, develop them and sort things out in the usual way the coaching staff does during the season and pray good health finally is visited upon them.
BlueSkyGLW- - Your last pargraph is true, but as UConn learned the last 3 years you never can have enough bodies!
The chance to get two players like Kaitlyn Chen as a G and Raegan Beers as a C will be insurance against any bad luck they may face!
Also getting Beers will put less stain on Jana to play major minutes in her recovery year!
And Kaitlyn is a "winner" in the Dorka and Lou Lopez mold!
And we all know how those 2 worked out!
With a roster that those 2 would give UConn will allow Geno & Staff many different combinations to fiddle with depending on our opponents strengths!

Reaction Score
I wish there was a short "Junior Varsity" season in late Summer. Freshman, sophomores and walkons only. Maybe a month of games in August (don't most freshmen take summer-school classes?) Maybe 8 games against nearby schools so travel is not a great expense or time-waster. Bus rides - not planes. Of course, not very team would have enough players to do it every year.

Oh well, I'm a dreamer
Not a bad idea. The kids are playing a lot of basketball anyhow. I'm all for structuring it so that it's entertaining. Not sure I would buy a "season" ticket as this would most probably happen on campus, not in the $50,000 XL center.

As far as not having enough players, what kid wouldn't want to play a few games with UConn's freshmen/sophomore class? Maybe even catch Geno's eye, who knows, dream on...

Reaction Score

Oh well, I'm a dreamer
Frankly, instead of more basketball, I think it might be better to have an IM softball league. Or maybe volleyball. No buses, no other schools. Challenge the swim team or the soccer team or the tennis team. Let the student managers play too.

Reaction Score
BlueSkyGLW- - Your last pargraph is true, but as UConn learned the last 3 years you never can have enough bodies!
The chance to get two players like Kaitlyn Chen as a G and Raegan Beers as a C will be insurance against any bad luck they may face!
Also getting Beers will put less stain on Jana to play major minutes in her recovery year!
And Kaitlyn is a "winner" in the Dorka and Lou Lopez mold!
And we all know how those 2 worked out!
With a roster that those 2 would give UConn will allow Geno & Staff many different combinations to fiddle with depending on our opponents strengths!
Maybe you can change Coach G's mind. The trouble with the "not enough bodies"....."as we learned from recent past" argument is you stunt the development of those you recruited when you insert more experienced players between them and progress. Then, if something happens to the experienced transfers, you find yourself with underdeveloped young ones who you thought could contribute right away.

Dorka and Lou Lopez do illuminate the case: Dorka did not contribute much during her first year in and it was very mature of her to stay another to show what she could do not only to the program but to those who judge professional talent. This move by Dorka was in contrast to Azura.....perhaps, she sensed that Coach G was slow to trust her enough to deploy her maximally. Who knows?

Lou Lopez became an important contributor right away in the wake of key player shortage.

Coach G's history is not to use up all of the scholarships, in part because a number of players will not see much action, given his penchant for a relatively short rotation in using the season to prepare key players for March, in skill development, in team connectivity and in physical endurance. And, as we know, the profile on his recruiting is tailored for this: key players, lesser ones who would be happy to see limited playing time and some walk-ons.

From all indications, the 13 left in the roster are all high level contributors when healthy. But the team is skewed to the young and inexperienced.

So, in you were Coach G planning for next season, do you deligerated stunt the growth of the young ones you have come to rely upon as well as those you expect to be cornerstones come March by bringing in experienced players who could contribute right away IF they can acclimate quickly? [Note that of the last three transfers Azura, Dorka and Lou Lopez, on Lou filled a role quickly and seamlessly; and Azura had a year of practice with the team before playing in games]. OR, given that you have 13 players with young ones of great potential (as demonstrated by the past year, do you concentrate on their rapid development to have a very deep team come March without help from transfers?

Fortunately, for us, we only comment. Coach G has to decide. And, I think he will do the latter because her recruited them and wants to do what's best for them.....the sooner he turns them into 13 indomitables come March (my only uncertainty is Caroline - the brain has a lot of unknown territory when it comes to injuries), the better he will feel.

Reaction Score
Frankly, instead of more basketball, I think it might be better to have an IM softball league. Or maybe volleyball. No buses, no other schools. Challenge the swim team or the soccer team or the tennis team. Let the student managers play too.
This is perfect. Mixing up sports certainly helps cut down on overuse injuries, as well as getting them out of their basketball bubble. I've always wanted to start a Youth Feral Sports league, where the only rule is no rules, and no coaches or any sort of organizational interference. Kind of like Calvinball. 20 kids show up to a field, maybe a forest, died teams and play capture the flag or something for 2-3 hours. Lots of running, lots of fun, and no pressure.

Reaction Score
Maybe you can change Coach G's mind. The trouble with the "not enough bodies"....."as we learned from recent past" argument is you stunt the development of those you recruited when you insert more experienced players between them and progress. Then, if something happens to the experienced transfers, you find yourself with underdeveloped young ones who you thought could contribute right away.

Dorka and Lou Lopez do illuminate the case: Dorka did not contribute much during her first year in and it was very mature of her to stay another to show what she could do not only to the program but to those who judge professional talent. This move by Dorka was in contrast to Azura.....perhaps, she sensed that Coach G was slow to trust her enough to deploy her maximally. Who knows?

Lou Lopez became an important contributor right away in the wake of key player shortage.

Coach G's history is not to use up all of the scholarships, in part because a number of players will not see much action, given his penchant for a relatively short rotation in using the season to prepare key players for March, in skill development, in team connectivity and in physical endurance. And, as we know, the profile on his recruiting is tailored for this: key players, lesser ones who would be happy to see limited playing time and some walk-ons.

From all indications, the 13 left in the roster are all high level contributors when healthy. But the team is skewed to the young and inexperienced.

So, in you were Coach G planning for next season, do you deligerated stunt the growth of the young ones you have come to rely upon as well as those you expect to be cornerstones come March by bringing in experienced players who could contribute right away IF they can acclimate quickly? [Note that of the last three transfers Azura, Dorka and Lou Lopez, on Lou filled a role quickly and seamlessly; and Azura had a year of practice with the team before playing in games]. OR, given that you have 13 players with young ones of great potential (as demonstrated by the past year, do you concentrate on their rapid development to have a very deep team come March without help from transfers?

Fortunately, for us, we only comment. Coach G has to decide. And, I think he will do the latter because her recruited them and wants to do what's best for them.....the sooner he turns them into 13 indomitables come March (my only uncertainty is Caroline - the brain has a lot of unknown territory when it comes to injuries), the better he will feel.
I don't think it matters what Geno wants or the young ones these days. Parity and deep rosters have changed the game and Geno will adapt just like he always has. The young ones will need to mature quickly and fight for their minutes if they want to be on a top team. I don't think Dawn lost any sleep over bringing in PaoPao and Cardoso...

We started this year with 14 and ended with 8ish. We need to fill the scholarships.

IMO, to compete for the championship, in today's game you need 9-10 starter quality healthy players in March.

I think Chen and a big like Beers would be perfect insurance for March.

Reaction Score
I don't think it matters what Geno wants or the young ones these days. Parity and deep rosters have changed the game and Geno will adapt just like he always has. The young ones will need to mature quickly and fight for their minutes if they want to be on a top team. I don't think Dawn lost any sleep over bringing in PaoPao and Cardoso...

We started this year with 14 and ended with 8ish. We need to fill the scholarships.

IMO, to compete for the championship, in today's game you need 9-10 starter quality healthy players in March.

I think Chen and a big like Beers would be perfect insurance for March.
DEpup- - Thanks I thought I was out alone on an island here!
The last 3 years has changed the style of the game not just for our Huskies but ALL of WBB!
Not only will Chen & Beers make a better lineup but add experienced help in the locker room and the dorms!
Winning type people bred winning type teams!
Geno wants great people to make better teams!
That's how he and his staff have recruited since 1985, why change now!

Reaction Score
I actually disliked this video the most of all his stuff, because of the transfer speculation at the very end. It made me want to punch him in the mouth.
Welcome to the new world of transferring. The punch in the mouth comment is a very reveling of your personalty. This over a woman's college basketball conversation?
Yeah could have done without the transfer
Comment
The reality of the state of the game. That and the transfer options are open and fair game for topic / conversation.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the new world of transferring. The punch in the mouth comment is a very reveling of your personalty. This over a woman's college basketball conversation?
You apparently think it’s okay to speculate about who might transfer in a fansite that our team may occasionally sample. I don’t. The rule we observe here isn’t just BY etiquette. It’s the sort of respect we ought to show all players and on all forums online.

Reaction Score
Following the early signing period in November ESPN ranked UConn’s recruiting class #6 behind USC, SC, UCLA, TX & Duke. That was before #1 Sarah Strong announced her decision to attend UConn. If you add in 6’5” Jana to that group, a Big with a skill set very similar to Stewie, you can make a pretty strong argument that UConn’s incoming class is the best in the nation.

With Paige and all the returning players, assuming that most of this season’s walking wounded are ready to go, UConn should have a formidable lineup next year.
"....with the skill set of Stevie?" Where do you get this idea? Shouldn't we see her play first? Strew is the best of the best. She was that in college and is that in the pros ( where there a lot of really good players ). Love your enthusiasm, but Cmon, dude !!

Reaction Score
"....with the skill set of Stevie?" Where do you get this idea? Shouldn't we see her play first? Strew is the best of the best. She was that in college and is that in the pros ( where there a lot of really good players ). Love your enthusiasm, but Cmon, dude !!
Some of us have seen her play already. She does indeed have a skill set quite similar to Stewie's: she's a shot blocker, a rebounder, a ball handler, a passer, a low post scorer and a perimeter shooter.

Now before anyone gets anything in a twist, this does not mean her skills are as good as Stewie's were at a similar point in her career. That would be a bizarre thing to claim. It merely means that she has a similar range of skills. This is what the term "set" is meant to suggest, and it is quite distinctive. Not all bigs have this skillset.

To take a few examples, no reasonable fan of WCBB would suggest that Taylor Jones or River Baldwin has a similar skillset. Or Kiki Iriafen, or Lauren Betts or Kamila, or Raegan Beers. Would you want to see any of them bring the ball up the floor against a press? Of course not. But Jana was coached to do just this for her teams in FIBA and in HS in Cairo. How about Stef Dolson? Or Kara.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have never suggested that Jana is or will be as good as Stewie. But when you watch her play in FIBA games, Jana is a complete player with the ability to knock down shots from the arc, score around the basket, rebound and defend the rim. She also runs the court well, has an exceptional handle, sees the court and is an excellent passer. She is the daughter of the Egyptian National WBB coach, and he has taught her well.

So yes, at 6’5” Jana has a skill set similar to Stewie. Whether she becomes the player that Stewie has become remains to be seen. But it should be thrilling for UConn fans to watch Jana develop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom