Jan 2 rankings | The Boneyard

Jan 2 rankings

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Dang I know we're the new kid on the block (so is PSU), but how are people ranking St. Cloud St ahead of us after we just beat them? We're not even getting votes. Bummer but there's a way to fix this.....

Jan 2 Rankings

Reaction Score
Dang I know we're the new kid on the block (so is PSU), but how are people ranking St. Cloud St ahead of us after we just beat them? We're not even getting votes. Bummer but there's a way to fix this.....

Jan 2 Rankings
Easy losses and ties to teams like Sacred Heart and Army

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Only the pairwise rankings really matter. Need to be in the top 16 to have a shot at a tournament bid. Currently ranked 23rd.

Reaction Score
This is the first time in recent history that UConn has had a winning record both overall and in conference. And it is not by much. The win over St. Cloud was not really convincing. The Huskies seem to have raised their game. A few more wins should do the trick assuming that there are not a lot of losses to go with them.

Btw, did the new guy play out west?

Reaction Score
This is the first time in recent history that UConn has had a winning record both overall and in conference. And it is not by much. The win over St. Cloud was not really convincing. The Huskies seem to have raised their game. A few more wins should do the trick assuming that there are not a lot of losses to go with them.

Btw, did the new guy play out west?
Yes...he definitelty played in Championship game..Newpower sat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Jan 2 Rankings

Beating Yale and winning the home and away games against bottom feeder Maine will help. After that the schedule takes a turn. UVM, BC, UVM. Got to win the games you should win.

Reaction Score
Easy losses and ties to teams like Sacred Heart and Army
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, even though Providence is 1-5-1 in conference getting votes over us? PC is 22 and UC is 23. Hell, even Northeastern is 27th and getting votes? I know Sacred Heart loss hurts but a winning record in HE vs 1-5-1 in HE just doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
Beating Yale and winning the home and away games against bottom feeder Maine will help. After that the schedule takes a turn. UVM, BC, UVM. Got to win the games you should win.
This is a good point. UConn is 24 in KRACH and Yale is 37. With a differential that large, the Yale game is a must win just to maintain position. Beating Maine twice won't do much good. But losing any of those three games will mean that getting ranked in a poll is not feasible for awhile. But if they win all three and get, say, six points from the next three, then they should be on their way. They just gotta win some games. There is no substitute.

Reaction Score
The 6 ties don't help. Providence has same w/l record but with only 4 ties instead of UConn's 6.

UConn was receiving votes after starting 2-0 and then tied the next 2 against RIT and Colgate. RIT actually received some votes for tieing with us early in season. Probably had to do more with UAH beating ranked ferris.

By the time they beat ranked ND away, they already had 3 ties against RIT, Colagate, and AIC.

i remember being so mad that they tied against AIC and tied against UMass when leading 2-0 4 minutes into the game. If they won that UMass game, they'd be in 5th with 11 points instead of 7th with 10 and most likely ranked at this point or at least ORV.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The difference in college hockey is that the human rankings don't really mean a whole hell of a lot. It's more about pairwise rankings that anything else. I haven't been a fan of college hockey long enough to know how feasible it is for a team around 25 to sneak into the top 16... I imagine we're going to have to win out the regular season or come pretty close to get there.

Reaction Score
The difference in college hockey is that the human rankings don't really mean a whole hell of a lot. It's more about pairwise rankings that anything else. I haven't been a fan of college hockey long enough to know how feasible it is for a team around 25 to sneak into the top 16... I imagine we're going to have to win out the regular season or come pretty close to get there.

That's asking a lot.

jho

Reaction Score
If we can go 4-2 in January, we'll be in the rankings and not just in the "also receiving votes" category. We have Yale (home), Maine (@ Bridgeport), Maine (@ Fenway), Vermont (away), BC (away) & Vermont (home). We're entering the part of the schedule where having two quality goalies is going to be big.

Reaction Score
Ties against UMass, Colgate, RIT, AIC, and the loss to Sacred Heart are pretty difficult to overcome. It completely torpedoed any outside chance of finishing in the top 14-15 in PWR and at an at-large NCAA bid. Also, UConn probably isn't getting as much credit for the SCSU win from the voters since they've been without their head coach for the last 2-3 weeks while he's at the WJC.

Reaction Score
Ties against UMass, Colgate, RIT, AIC, and the loss to Sacred Heart are pretty difficult to overcome. It completely torpedoed any outside chance of finishing in the top 14-15 in PWR and at an at-large NCAA bid. Also, UConn probably isn't getting as much credit for the SCSU win from the voters since they've been without their head coach for the last 2-3 weeks while he's at the WJC.
Agree on the Sacred Heart loss and AIC tie.

Not so much on St. Cloud. UConn was without arguably it"s two best players. Understand your point, but I think it is outweighed the absence of on ice players. JMHO.

Good discussion on this board. Superior to USCHO.

Reaction Score
To even think about an at large bid, a team has to be around 11th or 12th in the Pairwise to be considered safe because each conference is guaranteed a representative and there could be upsets in postseason tournaments that steal bids from teams inside the top 16.

Currently, the Atlantic and WCHA are outside the top 16 so an at large team has to be at least 14th in the Pairwise to get a spot. Of course, that is without any upsets in postseason tournaments.

Last season, Northeastern did come from 49th in the Pairwise to finish the season in the top 16. From December 19th, they went 20-1-2, including winning their last 13 games in a row before losing to North Dakota in the national tournament.

Reaction Score
Let me remind folks of a sad and frustrating fact about UConn hockey. Every time the Huskies have had three should-win games in front of them, they have lost at least one and sometimes more. Let's be clear, if that scenario does NOT play out this time, it may well be foreshadowing great things to come. It could also be foreshadowing very frustrating results in the next three games. So let's manage to keep the rose colored predictions to a minimum so we do not jinx this team.

This is from a fan who has been oh so disappointed so many times before. There used to be a guy on the Clarkson board whose motto was "One shift at a time". That kinda applies here.

Reaction Score
UConn should be focusing on HE standings, not PWR, and most certainly not the irrelevant polls. UConn has a very strong shot at getting home ice in the octofinals, and maybe a very, very outside shot at a bye. Passing BU, UVM, Lowell, ND, and BC will be difficult but not impossible especially with having the tiebreaker with UML and still two with UVM and another with ND. Finishing in the 5 or 6 slot though would be a huge step up from the 7 spot though as it would appear the bottom two teams in the league will be Maine and UMass, both of whom are very bad teams. UConn would be strong favorites to advance into the quarterfinals from there. Finishing in the 7 or 8 hold could easily end up with a first round matchup with someone like a Northeastern or UNH who, while not great teams, have some very skilled players and can win games. Not to mention in the 5-6 slot, you'd advance and play the lower seeded home ice team.

That's a roundabout way of saying polls are dumb and irrelevant, UConn likely won't have the profile to get an at-large bid due to early losses and ties hurting RPI and common opponent numbers and thus should be focused on positioning themselves well for a Hockey East tournament run. It would not surprise me in the least to see UConn playing at the Garden in February, they have enough skill to knock off any of the top 4 teams in a three game series. But they've also proven they can play poorly enough to lose to the bottom feeders as well.

Reaction Score
Yup, and regardless how weak we may think Maine and UMass might be, they are head and shoulders above Sacred Heart. So this ain't gonna be exactly easy.

Reaction Score
The prosecution rests. Btw, can't remember, isn't that an L to every team in CT?

Reaction Score
Yup, and regardless how weak we may think Maine and UMass might be, they are head and shoulders above Sacred Heart. So this ain't gonna be exactly easy.
Not sure about UMass, they got swept by ASU then lost to AIC last weekend!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom