James Akinjo highlights vs. Palo Alto | The Boneyard

James Akinjo highlights vs. Palo Alto

Reaction Score
Not impressed...mid level or below player..size and physicality will be an issue..

Reaction Score
Not impressed...mid level or below player..size and physicality will be an issue..

Yet against the best players and teams in the nation during the aau season he played extremely well and got mvp at the best aau tournament in the country.

I'm very impressed with his feel for the game, distributing the ball, shooting and his will to win

Reaction Score
He's quick and has a nice looking shot but he's going to have a hell of a time getting shots off in the lane. He's miniature, the smallest guard we've gotten yet. The 6'0 foot listing must have been created by Mau. Akinjo is like 5'8 150 lbs., he's quick but doesn't have any of the bounce that a guy like Boat had to be able to always create his own shot. Bazz and Boat would be considered a huge backcourt next to Alterique and Akinjo.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watching the kid from Palo Alto do the hug the ball and slouch over move at about the 2:10 mark is funny and a reminder of the skill differential in HS basketball.

Reaction Score
He's quick and has a nice looking shot but he's going to have a hell of a time getting shots off in the lane. He's miniature, the smallest guard we've gotten yet. The 6'0 foot listing must have been created by Mau. Akinjo is like 5'8 150 lbs., he's quick but doesn't have any of the bounce that a guy like Boat had to be able to always create his own shot. Bazz and Boat would be considered a huge backcourt next to Alterique and Akinjo.

He’s actually listed at 6’1 on a couple sites.... you really watch that and think he looks 5’8? I think he may have trouble breaking guys down at the next level. But think he will be an elite shooter and solid defender. Seems like a decent passer should be tough in ball screens.

Reaction Score
He’s actually listed at 6’1 on a couple sites.... you really watch that and think he looks 5’8? I think he may have trouble breaking guys down at the next level. But think he will be an elite shooter and solid defender. Seems like a decent passer should be tough in ball screens.
5'10 at most, no way is he 6'1 or 6'0.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm feeling curmudgeonly this evening. Took a critical look at this highlight video. Not critical of Akinjo. I liked much of what I saw of him in the vid. Mostly of the vid itself, whoever the hell "Simply Basketball" is. Anyway, here's my observations.
  • Player intros are highlights? Really?
  • Has the person filming this video ever held a video camera before? I actually started to get dizzy/nauseous at times, the way he swiveled to try to get action occurring somewhere he wasn't pointing.
  • Editing-wise, what's with the high-speed parts? Can't follow 'em, and don't need 'em. They don't add anything. Just cut out the non-highlights, like normal, you know?
  • Not related to the video, but watching it made me think of Billy Packer, who would undoubtedly have said at some point, "Palo Alto is not a very athuhletic team, but they play with a lot of intelligence." That was standard FudgySpeak for "Hey, look the whole team is white."
  • Why did the videographer keep zooming in on the dufus with the head band and the #44 jersey in the stands? That was definitely not a highlight. I found it kind of disturbing, actually. 2017-12-18 (1).png
  • Please don't recruit Akinjo's teamate #24. He makes our current front court players look like Mek on D.
  • Palo Alto's #11 looks like he will be a good low-major player down the line. He'll probably end up on Tulsa or CFU and torch us for 30 at some point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Way below average poster, maybe along the jAckSoN RutgersAl level, but I like that you had 2 post ups to get out one thought. There is potential to get a mid major look.;)

I'm not sure how you can get much of an opinion on this video anyway it was more everyone else than James?

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Attended the game and met Akinjo and family afterwards. Seems like a nice young man. Ricky Moore was there as well. I'm not sure how tall Coach Moore is but Akinjo is about an inch, maybe less, shorter. Akinjo was the superior talent on the court by a long shot, but w/ that said Salesian needed every assist, bucket and rebound to beat a Palo Alto team who played good team ball w/ ok talent. He shot well from three, very consistent and very fast.

Reaction Score
He is 5'11" and just turn 17 last month. He was 16 hen he won the Peach Jam MVP playing against mostly 18 year olds. He is taller now then the summer and might have 2 more inches to grow.

Reaction Score
He is 5'11" and just turn 17 last month. He was 16 hen he won the Peach Jam MVP playing against mostly 18 year olds. He is taller now then the summer and might have 2 more inches to grow.
If he grew good because there is no way he was anywhere close to 6'0 or 6'1 this summer. He was 5'10 tops.

Reaction Score
Even if he's 5'11 we've had a couple of pretty good lead guards that size. He's 17 and maturing both physically and in his game, look like a keeper to me has the skill set.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
5'10 at most.

Seems evidence of his height is needed. I did not intend to do this but I will paste the photo I took of Moore, myself and Akinjo and family. I think I have shrunk. I used to be 6'5", but Coach Moore appears to be only an inch or so shorter, Akinjo is standing next to Coach Moore and there does not appear to be much of a difference in height.

pj

Reaction Score
Seems evidence of his height is needed. I did not intend to do this but I will paste the photo I took of Moore, myself and Akinjo and family. I think I have shrunk. I used to be 6'5", but Coach Moore appears to be only an inch or so shorter, Akinjo is standing next to Coach Moore and there does not appear to be much of a difference in height.

Who are we going to believe, our own eyes or superjohn? Tough decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom