Jamelle Elliott returns to UConn, rediscovers passion for coaching | The Boneyard

Jamelle Elliott returns to UConn, rediscovers passion for coaching

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Doug Bonjour Nov. 15, 2020

Jamelle Elliott figured she was done with coaching. At least for the foreseeable future. Auriemma needed to fill a spot on his staff after one of his assistants, Jasmine Lister, took a leave of absence for personal reasons in January. Elliott, who had returned to Storrs in 2018 to begin the next chapter of her professional career, felt obligated to help.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is a great person! First time I talked with her she was going into her Jr. year at UConn. Her and Rebecca spent the afternoon with the girls at a clinic my friend had. It was where Lishness and Ferrier played their High School ball in Bristol. My daughter was 10 that year and she was so mesmerized with them as were the rest of the girls the whole time they were there! They were stars already here in Connecticut even before they won the National Championship! My daughter still has the UConn shirt and hat they signed that day!

Reaction Score
Jamelle Elliot had maybe the three most important minutes in UConn women's basketball history. In the first finals against Tennessee, Lobo and Walters were on the bench with fouls. Jamelle, at 5'll' or whatever she actually was, had to take on the enormous Tennessee post players almost by herself. She pushed, rebounded, scored, and kept the game close enough for Lobo and Walters to come back in the second half and win. Anything less than her maniacal effort and the whole history of UConn women's basketball might be different.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Jamelle gave Liv a leaping body slam after Liv had played particularly well prior to a timeout, it was clear that Jamelle was loving every minute of her time back on the court working with the team.

Jamelle is an exceptional coach and great motivator, especially when it comes to working with Bigs. It’s no coincidence that Liv excelled last season once Jamelle started working with her.

Jamelle is a great addition to UConn’s staff. Liv will be even better this year. Aaliyah, Piath Amari & Ice will all benefit tremendously from Jamelle’s guidance and toughness. It’s a beautiful thing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Jamelle Elliot had maybe the three most important minutes in UConn women's basketball history. In the first finals against Tennessee, Lobo and Walters were on the bench with fouls. Jamelle, at 5'll' or whatever she actually was, had to take on the enormous Tennessee post players almost by herself. She pushed, rebounded, scored, and kept the game close enough for Lobo and Walters to come back in the second half and win. Anything less than her maniacal effort and the whole history of UConn women's basketball might be different.
That was Jamelle in a nutshell. Never backed down from anybody and never saw a rebound she didn’t think was hers.

I can’t wait to see how Nelson-Ododa and Edwards develop this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was Jamelle in a nutshell. Never backed down from anybody and never saw a rebound she didn’t think was hers.

I can’t wait to see how Nelson-Ododa and Edwards develop this year.
The thing that I’ve found interesting is that that warrior mentality on the court is so different from her genuinely kind nurturing disposition off the court. That would seem to be a great combination for an assistant coach.

Reaction Score
Jamelle is a gem..Gemelle...:D
I always thought that it was no coincidence that the defensive turnaround in the team last year which led to a turnaround in the offense and the team in general had a lot to do with "Gemelle". I think all the players will benefit, especially on defense, from her tutelage with special emphasis on the interior ones.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If this season's team can play really good defense, they will, imo, make it to the FF. Add really good defense to the expected really good offense on this team should translate to a top four team.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Remember well her "yelps" as she was rebounding and "getting dirty" under the rim. Loved her then and always have as an assistant. It was our loss when she went to Cincy. She did not deserve the dismissal she was handed. Knowing the soft and kind heart the woman has, off the court, it must have been devastating. It is wonderful to have her back. When she took the desk job, it was wasted talent. Now she can, and has, make a big difference. I know Geno is happy to have her back where she belongs.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
It's hard not to like Jamelle, given the chance to meet her... Thanks to her, my daughter and I enjoyed watching a game right behind the UCONN bench literally courtside against the Louisville Cardinals and Angel McCaughtry her senior year at Gampel Pavillion. It was an amazing experience for my daughter, who got to meet coach and the players. I'm forever grateful and will always root for her success in anything she does...

Reaction Score
Jamelle Elliott was such a unique player she created her own position at 5'11" she dominated rebounds and inside scoring! Too big for a wing but not as quick as a wing/SF! Her aggressiveness put her in a PF/C category but she was so Tough she "willed" her game to new heights! Every day, every minute of her UCONN career!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom