Jalen | The Boneyard

Jalen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a bit confused here. Understanding he's a freshman getting 20 minutes but I thought that he would have some ability to stop and pop mid range and get his own shot off the dribble and even get to the rim. In the mixtapes he hardly missed but seriously I don't see a lot of ability to dominate in his game so far, even flashes of it. Surely he'll be a different player in year 3 and 4 but some on this board had very big expectations as to what he would provide. Is it unrealistic?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His play is somewhat confusing BUT what I don't like is that I don't see the leadership qualities I envisioned.
Maybe expecting too much but don't see even a hint of that quality

Reaction Score
Mix tapes really made him look athletic. But mix tapes don't translate. Need to hit a jumper to get to the rim.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
His play is somewhat confusing BUT what I don't like is that I don't see the leadership qualities I envisioned.

KEA was a generational talent in terms of ability to step in and lead as a freshman. Unfortunately it just doesn't really happen. My mind is obviously still on this loss, but I can't think of anyone else doing what he did on any championship team in recent history.

Reaction Score
KEA was a generational talent in terms of ability to step in and lead as a freshman. Unfortunately it just doesn't really happen. My mind is obviously still on this loss, but I can't think of anyone else doing what he did on any championship team in recent history.
On a visit as a high school senior, he was running the offense in a scrimmage with regulars Huskie Stars. Natural born leader with the highest BB IQ of anyone who ever played here.
Kemba was close but not until his junior year.
Bazz as a senior wasn't far behind.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Why is it that it seems every team is ten feet tall with long arms and quick hands?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
On a visit as a high school senior, he was running the offense in a scrimmage with regulars Huskie Stars. Natural born leader with the highest BB IQ of anyone who ever played here.
Kemba was close but not until his junior year.
Bazz as a senior wasn't far behind.
Freshman Kemba was very underrated. He was one of the best freshman we have ever had, his contribution off the bench was huge that year. Despite being very streaky and not shooting a great %, you could truly see how talented the kid was. As a freshman he was lighting quick, had a solid handle (not like he did as a junior but still very good) and was incredibly crafty around the rim and specialized in using the rim to protect himself from shot blockers, a very advanced skill. So far, Jalen has shown flashes but he is no freshman Kemba, not that you were saying that but I'm just reminiscing.

Reaction Score
Freshman Kemba was very underrated. He was one of the best freshman we have ever had, his contribution off the bench was huge that year. Despite being very streaky and not shooting a great %, you could truly see how talented the kid was. As a freshman he was lighting quick, had a solid handle (not like he did as a junior but still very good) and was incredibly crafty around the rim and specialized in using the rim to protect himself from shot blockers, a very advanced skill. So far, Jalen has shown flashes but he is no freshman Kemba, not that you were saying that but I'm just reminiscing.

Kemba was also on a team that would bend this current version over, and played behind one of the smarter point guards we've had in AJP, which helps.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Kemba was also on a team that would bend this current version over, and played behind one of the smarter point guards we've had in AJP, which helps.
Very true.

Reaction Score
Give the ball to Adams. He's a freshman who makes mistakes but one player on this team needs to be empowered to be the leader. Who on this team has balls? We need a leader. We have players but we need a coach on the floor. I don't blame Ollie for the teams play, except that we don't have any ball smart floor generals. Thats it. Overtime we've been good love the past 25 years we've had at least one guy on the court with balls.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I like the Adams. Sure freshman mistakes. However, he attacks the basket when no one else will try. He drew a few fouls last night. Take a freshman and throw him in the spotlgiht and take over is asking too much. My opinion only. A few bonehead mistakes? Absolutely. He has no fear and does try to take over and contribute. He will be fine. Again, my opinion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Seriously? He looks better than Kemba did as a freshman.

Reaction Score

These boards were more down on Kemba than they are now on Jalen

Reaction Score
I'm a bit confused here. Understanding he's a freshman getting 20 minutes but I thought that he would have some ability to stop and pop mid range and get his own shot off the dribble and even get to the rim. In the mixtapes he hardly missed but seriously I don't see a lot of ability to dominate in his game so far, even flashes of it. Surely he'll be a different player in year 3 and 4 but some on this board had very big expectations as to what he would provide. Is it unrealistic?
Understanding he's a freshman getting 20 minutes but I thought that he would have some ability to stop and pop mid range and get his own shot off the dribble and even get to the rim. In the mixtapes he hardly missed but seriously I don't see a lot of ability to dominate in his game so far, even flashes of it.
I thought that he would have some ability to stop and pop mid range and get his own shot off the dribble and even get to the rim. In the mixtapes he hardly missed but seriously I don't see a lot of ability to dominate in his game so far
In the mixtapes he hardly missed but seriously I don't see a lot of ability to dominate in his game so far
mixtapes

Reaction Score
The board gives JA the benefit of doubt. KO doesn't start JA because his play doesn't warrant it. In the last 5 games Texas and the 4 conf. games JA has ave. less than 1 assist per games with more TO's than assist. He is shooting 28.6% in conf. play only DH at 20% is worst. However DH has ave. 3.5 assist and 10 boards in conf. games. JA is a freshman and is playing like one.

Reaction Score
Tyus Jones last year?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Tyus Jones last year?

There's no denying that Tyus Jones played out of his mind last year, but IMO the real emotional/spiritual leader of that team was Quinn Cook.

Reaction Score
Jalen is good. Let him run the team. The team stinks. What do we have to lose.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I don't agree. He may not be out there yelling, but he's shown hustle, aggression, passion, intensity... Those are all leadership qualities that not many other guys on this team are showing.

It may not be enough to anoint him anything at this point, but there's a reason he's passing the eye test over some other guys in some fans' eyes.

Reaction Score
Jalen is good. Let him run the team. The team stinks. What do we have to lose.
I agree on giving him the minutes for growth, and if the team stinks why not see if Enoch can develop into something? I'm torn on this this because I hold out hope that some miraculous run is coming later as in 11 and 14. It's seeming unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom