Jalen Working Out For Celtics | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Working Out For Celtics

Reaction Score
Three of those were with KO as his coach. He was out crashing scooters. He's an easy going kid and was allowed to be a bit too casual about his development. One off-season with Hurley and his efficiency went way up. College also doesn't afford the practice time that the NBA does.

My only question is whether he's motivated enough to put in the work. If he is, he can turn himself into a solid bench PG in the NBA. He gets the mental side of the game, and in a ball motion focused modern offense that should allow him to thrive. He would absolutely fit in on a Brad Stevens coached team.
Playing for Ollie I'm sure hurt his development but great players are self-motivated, I don't think Jalen has shown he has what it takes for that next step.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Playing for Ollie I'm sure hurt his development but great players are self-motivated, I don't think Jalen has shown he has what it takes for that next step.

He hasn't so far. I agree. If he doesn't, he'll fail. If he does (and I think he will), he should be successful. Some people need that leader to push them to reach their potential. He's one of them. But I think he gets it now.

Reaction Score
100% agree that shooting is easier to improve than other skills. Especially with a dedicated shooting coach that most teams have these days in the NBA.

But our successful guards (and most 3-4 year college players) you see significant and noticable improvements in their game. That is not the case with Jalen. I think he's gotten by with the same skill set since he was a kid and hasn't really learned how to be a learner on the court. Some players are just sort of like that, regardless of work ethic.

Now if it's a work ethic issue, he's not making the league no matter what. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he can become a 3rd PG for a decent team, I'd be ecstatic. Hoping for the best.
Our players who have made it lived in the gym, I think we all know Jalen hasn't lived in the gym. He is very talented and those same talents were on display in high school but it's also why other players caught up to him and even passed him. The going right every time and contorting your body to avoid contact while making amazing finishes near the rim is great in high school but as you jump up to the other levels it just doesn't cut it.

He's not a great enough athlete or great enough at any one thing were these flaws won't drag him down, IMO. I suppose if the light all of a sudden switches and he spends every waking hour in the gym fixing his weaknesses he could get a long career in the NBA but it usually doesn't work like that.

Reaction Score
It is much harder to become a good ball handler than it is to learn to shoot. However, people say, “he just needs to tighten up his handle”, like it’s no big deal. Shooting can be improved dramatically but for most people, ball handling is more innate.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It is up to him, that's for sure. He has to want it, or he will end up in Europe or somewhere else overseas.

Reaction Score
It is much harder to become a good ball handler than it is to learn to shoot. However, people say, “he just needs to tighten up his handle”, like it’s no big deal. Shooting can be improved dramatically but for most people, ball handling is more innate.

Pretty sure a lot of guys plateau their shooting skills too. It’s not like shooting in the NBA is easy. Shabazz was a 40% 3pt shooter in college and was the guy taking tough shots when the clock was about to expire. Last year he shot 33% in the NBA.

I loved watching Jalen play and his size and athleticism was a great fit for NCAA ball. He just doesn’t have a unique skill that will cause a mismatch at the NBA level. Jalen was a 35% shooter that was much more judicious in his 3 pt shots. It’s not that he just has to shoot better. He has to shoot better taking tougher shots.

Would love to see him prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
Our players who have made it lived in the gym, I think we all know Jalen hasn't lived in the gym. He is very talented and those same talents were on display in high school but it's also why other players caught up to him and even passed him. The going right every time and contorting your body to avoid contact while making amazing finishes near the rim is great in high school but as you jump up to the other levels it just doesn't cut it.

He's not a great enough athlete or great enough at any one thing were these flaws won't drag him down, IMO. I suppose if the light all of a sudden switches and he spends every waking hour in the gym fixing his weaknesses he could get a long career in the NBA but it usually doesn't work like that.

Remember when you predicted Jalen would quit playing basketball after his college career ended;)

Reaction Score
Remember when you predicted Jalen would quit playing basketball after his college career ended;)
No? Aloof and hit the wall as an athlete but what else is he going to do?

Reaction Score
No? Aloof and hit the wall as an athlete but what else is he going to do?

Here it is

"I honestly think he's done as a basketball player. I'm not being hyperbolic, every once in a while an athlete completely hits the wall and everything goes south. He's never had the right mentality but his game has also left him and with that it's complete disinterest. He just sort of floats around out there, would rather be anywhere other than a basketball court nowadays.

Hard to believe and sad that when he came into UConn we thought we were getting a kid who would be an underclassmen leaving for a huge NBA payday."

Reaction Score
I have never been a Jalen basher. Very good CBB player. Hard pass for Celtics and I hope to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Here it is

"I honestly think he's done as a basketball player. I'm not being hyperbolic, every once in a while an athlete completely hits the wall and everything goes south. He's never had the right mentality but his game has also left him and with that it's complete disinterest. He just sort of floats around out there, would rather be anywhere other than a basketball court nowadays.

Hard to believe and sad that when he came into UConn we thought we were getting a kid who would be an underclassmen leaving for a huge NBA payday."
I stand by that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom