Jalen played so-so, our Seniors not much better and | The Boneyard

Jalen played so-so, our Seniors not much better and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
we won! I don't care if it was Boston U, the victory was well-earned. Also means that we're not on life support and with more victories and confidence we will continue to make noise. Furthermore having 'other' players like Vital step up means that we have many weapons capable of carrying this team on any given night. Somehow if Ollie can get 3 players to click during the same game we can do well in the conference in spite of our situation.

We are 'a work in progress' making adjustments and players still learning each other. Come January we won' t look like we do this early in the season (hopefully much better). At the very least, by then we will be competitive against the top teams, snatching victories here and there.

Reaction Score
Rodney's shooting touch must be found. The rebounds were great, but I fret when he shoots. That Jalen also was cold and we won, was great.

Reaction Score
we won! I don't care if it was Boston U, the victory was well-earned. Also means that we're not on life support and with more victories and confidence we will continue to make noise. Furthermore having 'other' players like Vital step up means that we have many weapons capable of carrying this team on any given night. Somehow if Ollie can get 3 players to click during the same game we can do well in the conference in spite of our situation.

We are 'a work in progress' making adjustments and players still learning each other. Come January we won' t look like we do this early in the season (hopefully much better). At the very least, by then we will be competitive against the top teams, snatching victories here and there.

You trying to convince us or yourself?

Reaction Score
Jalen and Rodney went 5-25 together. Vance 0-5. Honestly, do these players practice shooting in their workouts or is it all screening and boxing out drills?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Rodney's shooting touch must be found. The rebounds were great, but I fret when he shoots. That Jalen also was cold and we won, was great.
Yeah Rodney's rebounds and assists were nice but his basketball instincts just seem so off. I can't stand seeing him camped with his hands and butt sticking out any more.

All these other guys have reasonable "progress-is-not-linear" arguments that could be made, but this guy is a fifth year senior and there is zero excuse for his lack of development except lack of skill and a bad head for the game.

His focus should be on defense and distributing the ball.

Reaction Score
3 of 15 is so-so??? That's terrible. He missed some easy shots early on.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, I don't think we can ever shoot so poorly again. D looked improved tonight. Let's see what we can do

Reaction Score
Jalen and Rodney went 5-25 together. Vance 0-5. Honestly, do these players practice shooting in their workouts or is it all screening and boxing out drills?
Brimah/Facey/Enoch went 8 for 15 for 22 pts and 13 rebounds. On the down side they were 6 of 13 from the stripe with 3 turn overs. Adams/Purvis were not only 5 for 25 for 13 points they had 6 turn overs and shot 1 of 2 from the stripe (Purvis didn't take a single FT.) On the positive side they had 10 rebounds and 11 assists.

Kudos to KO for finally realizing that against these midget teams we have to play big and get the ball down low; if we do that we can win even when Adams/Purvis are not playing well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Adams was much worse than so-so. He was practically disinterested, even late. That's our leader?

Reaction Score
My thoughts on our Seniors....Purvis & Brimah are delusional if they think the NBA is in their future. Facey has more upside than those 2.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, I don't think we can ever shoot so poorly again. D looked improved tonight. Let's see what we can do

Oh yes we can shoot as poorly. Let's see how the D looks against Cuse. I don't see how anyone be optimistic about a 3 point win over BU at home.

Reaction Score
Brimah/Facey/Enoch went 8 for 15 for 22 pts and 13 rebounds. On the down side they were 6 of 13 from the stripe with 3 turn overs. Adams/Purvis were not only 5 for 25 for 13 points they had 6 turn overs and shot 1 of 2 from the stripe (Purvis didn't take a single FT.) On the positive side they had 10 rebounds and 11 assists.

Kudos to KO for finally realizing that against these midget teams we have to play big and get the ball down low; if we do that we can win even when Adams/Purvis are not playing well.

I have to disagree. Facey and Brimah had 0 offensive rebounds in 48 mins against a small team and we got outscored 24-20 when they were both out there (I kept track since I get frustrated watching them play together). Not saying we have a lot of answers given all the injuries, but we are terrible when they are both out there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If JA and RP are going to be crap offensively and are not feeling it - the least they can do is play shut down D - they were by far the two worst defensive guys out there tonight.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. Facey and Brimah had 0 offensive rebounds in 48 mins against a small team and we got outscored 24-20 when they were both out there (I kept track since I get frustrated watching them play together). Not saying we have a lot of answers given all the injuries, but we are terrible when they are both out there.

You're right. It's 3 on 5 offensively with those two in at the same time and you know our opponents have scouted that.

Reaction Score
So now is the time where we need to convince ourselves that a hard fought win against BOSTON U :)eek:) is a good thing. Thought this wouldn't be happening till at least next years recruits were juniors.

If this BS happened when Calhoun was around, even he'd be jumping off a bridge.

It's not acceptable. These games haven't been acceptable. We are UConn dammit. And enough about our young players. These are 4 and 5 star freakin recruits. Maybe a hard fought win against Memphis at home for a young team would be acceptable. But not against schools and programs like this. Unacceptable. Sorry.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Remember when Purvis and Brimah "declared" for the draft last year to get input from scouts? I bet that was a real wake up call, same with Hamilton...

I think a big reason for our struggles this year is on Hamilton like it or not.

When a coach is building his team for the future he needs to know he can rely on a certain core or foundation to build around with new players. When your true core, Hamilton, makes a dumb misinformed decision and leaves early, it basically sucks all the life out of what was planned for next year and we have to start from scratch. I fear that Hamiltons early departure will only lead to a frustrating season for our best player Adams which could spark another premature exit to the draft. And when I say premature, I'm not faulting kids for chasing the dream, I'm faulting them for doing it too early, when they are costing themselves millions and a real shot to stick. Lots of guys leave early that have what it takes to play in the league, but if your not ready when your name is called in the league you will get cut and forgotten about, it doesn't matter that you can "develop" into a NBA caliber player. Teams are only patient and wait for development of transcendent physical talents, guys whose bodies are primed to be perrenial all stars but are just missing the mental part of the game. They aren't waiting around for 6'3" PGs who have become a dime a dozen in the league nowadays.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Facey wasn't that bad (outside of the blown layup and airball) and managed to put up 8 points and 7 rebounds. Not stellar stuff, but a better than usual contribution for him.

Reaction Score
Brimah/Facey/Enoch went 8 for 15 for 22 pts and 13 rebounds.

These are not impressive combined stats for 3 players, two of which are seniors. At this point in their careers, Facey and Brimah should be combining for close to 20 rebounds. Add Enoch and they're still at only 13 collectively? To be brutally honest, its pathetic.

Reaction Score
Horrendous display of offense by both teams. I disagree that we played very good defense that won us this game. Both teams were putrid on the offensive side of the both. We just happened to hit a few more 3's in the 2nd half that won us this game. It was hard to watch but fortunately, BU was worse than us. I'll take the win but we may be in serious trouble against Syracuse.

Reaction Score
These are not impressive combined stats for 3 players, two of which are seniors. At this point in their careers, Facey and Brimah should be combining for close to 20 rebounds. Add Enoch and they're still at only 13 collectively? To be brutally honest, its pathetic.
You're right, these are not impressive stats, but they were good enough to win with. You want Brimah and Facey to pull down 20 rebounds a night and I want to kanoodle with Scarlet Johansson - but then again reality intrudes. Stop wishing for what we might have and start dealing with what we do have - and with this team, shooting poorly from 3 and facing zone every night, starting the offense by getting the ball to our bigs down low, or in the 4 hole, has to be a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom