Jalen Ollie commits to Fordham | The Boneyard

Jalen Ollie commits to Fordham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's the big deal? I thought I read his old man was loaded.
True. His dad is a class act. And you never hear anything but good reports about the kid. You root for kids like that. Would have been a nice story if he came here.

Reaction Score
True. His dad is a class act. And you never hear anything but good reports about the kid. You root for kids like that. Would have been a nice story if he came here.

Last time I checked these types of relationships (athlete/school) require interest from both parties. I'm not sure there was interest from at least one party, let alone both.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Oh no. Is Jalen Ollie the new guy that Palatine latches onto.....follows his box scores and reports back how well he is doing and how dumb UConn was for not bringing him in?

Reaction Score
Better for Jalen IMO - kid wouldn't have been able to be 2 minutes late for anything or look sideways at anyone without someone running to his dad. No way to go through college.
Jim Calhoun's son Jeff played directly under his dad and had a good experience. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the kid.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun's son Jeff played directly under his dad and had a good experience. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the kid.

I'm not even talking about athletes necessarily. I'm talking about any student that goes to school where their parents work. They are held to a completely different standard than your average student, especially if the parent is an important person at the school.

Sure it can work, it happens all of the time. But you only get to go to college once. Can't blame a kid for not wanting to escape the shadow.

(of course I have no intel as to why he didn't come to UCONN, it just doesn't bother me in the slightest)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I imagine he wants to be on the field. It's not like he picked another FBS school.

Reaction Score

Jeff Calhoun quit the team and transferred to Miami, so it might not have been such a great experience. When the Daily Campus called for his father to be fired after the 1993 season and listed giving Jeff a scholarship spot as among the primary reasons, I got the impression he was no longer super-excited to be at UConn.

Reaction Score

I was there when Jeff was there. There was more than a little buzz around him getting a scholarship because A) he didn't need the financial aid and B) he wasn't near good enough.

So I'm not all that sure about the good experience.

Reaction Score
Children of UConn employees do not pay tuition. Other expenses still apply.

• Dependent Tuition Waiver
    • For eligible University of Connecticut employees, a waiver of tuition is extended to their dependent children who are matriculated and enrolled undergraduate students at UConn. Waivers apply to the Fall and Spring semesters only and employees who desire the waiver must complete this form each semester. Please remember that tuition waivers waive only the tuition; the student remains responsible for any non-tuition fees and charges.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
IIRC Jeff transferred to Miami after one season here.

Reaction Score
He transferred to the University of Miami. He was driving a Lexus coupe around campus before he left.

Reaction Score
I was there when Jeff was there. There was more than a little buzz around him getting a scholarship because A) he didn't need the financial aid and B) he wasn't near good enough.

So I'm not all that sure about the good experience.

I played against Jeff in high school ... everyone on my team thought the scholly offer was a joke.

Reaction Score
Jeff had shoulder problems and his senior year of high school he played through it. He had the same type of problem Steve Pikiell did where his shoulder was always about to dislocate. He was a good Class M player that averaged 25 ppg at EO Smith. He had unlimited range and was able to hold his own with the other UCONN players in pickup games etc. The kid took a beating in terms of perception because he was a bit pompous back then and because he was only a BU or Hartford level talent. He was a great student and certainly deserved a scholarship if any of our current walk ons deserve one. I for one, felt bad about how people treated him. I've been a court with a number of past players and with Jeff. He was a good basketball player.

APA

Reaction Score
For a young African American male: New York City v. Storrs. Not much of a decision.

Reaction Score
IMHO his decision was a good one...and when every thing is on the table probably a pretty easy one. Going to play for a good coach who runs a offense that he most likely is a good fit for...a chance to get on the field and play, and a very good education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom