Jalen Needs To Play 40 Minutes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Needs To Play 40 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is by far the best player on this team and the only one that creates something on offense (besides Shonn). The kid needs to play all 40 minutes if we want to start scoring the ball again.

Adams needs to play 30 + minutes every game regardless of turnovers or poor shooting and when he is on the floor he must have the ball in his hands running the offense and CREATING AND PENETRATING into the paint. Something Gibbs cannot do. Keep Gibbs where he belongs which is off the ball. Keep the ball out of Purvis hands as much as possible because he has no feel for the game whatsoever and never will.

None of this falls on the players whatsoever. Purvis gives it his all and is a pretty good defensive player but this lies solely on our "10 toes in" coach. He is responsible for recruiting and putting these guys on the court and must use them correctly which I don't believe he is at all. It's a combination of lack of talent and coaching. And I don't want to hear that we are loaded with talent because we are not.

Reaction Score
Adams needs to play 30 + minutes every game regardless of turnovers or poor shooting and when he is on the floor he must have the ball in his hands running the offense and CREATING AND PENETRATING into the paint. Something Gibbs cannot do. Keep Gibbs where he belongs which is off the ball. Keep the ball out of Purvis hands as much as possible because he has no feel for the game whatsoever and never will.

None of this falls on the players whatsoever. Purvis gives it his all and is a pretty good defensive player but this lies solely on our "10 toes in" coach. He is responsible for recruiting and putting these guys on the court and must use them correctly which I don't believe he is at all. It's a combination of lack of talent and coaching. And I don't want to hear that we are loaded with talent because we are not.

I'm not in the 40 minute boat but 28-34 strong minutes is great. Watching all of the current top teams and they have guys who can get to the basket. JA can get to the basket and create offense. This is an absolute necessity if we want to make any type of run in either tournament. His ability to get inside creates opportunities for guys like Purvis and Omar to get hot on the outside and takes pressure off Hamilton to create offense.

Gibbs. while he does bring value, cant do that as well as Jalen right now. I'm not a guy who thinks Gibbs should ride the bench, but I think JA should be in there a good amount of time and not be forced to give the ball up to Gibbs to run the offense because hes a senior.

Reaction Score

It's gonna be interesting how JA evolves over the years he stays on board....this guy could be.....could be one of the greatest pure guards in UCONN history....I would think anyone might agree this freshman year might be the most impressive guard play we have seen at UCONN....and with the same scale of improvement Kemba and Shabazz displayed....this could be a very scary weapon, the likes we have never seen.....

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Shabazz's freshman year when he shot 37% from the field and 33% from three in that we knew the percentages weren't indicative of ability.
33% is a far cry from 17%.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb on the pregame show: "Adams has been a massive disappointment"

He was actually down on the entire team - calling UConn better on paper than they actually are. But he seemed to direct most of his criticism towards Adams.

Reaction Score

He was actually down on the entire team - calling UConn better on paper than they actually are. But he seemed to direct most of his criticism towards Adams.

This might have made sense a month ago (though it still would have been an overreaction). Now it looks pretty stupid.

Reaction Score
33% is a far cry from 17%.
True, but guys who shoot a good % from the stripe usually improve dramatically from behind the arc during their college years. And Jalen's over 83% from the line, plus his mechanics are good.

I'll wager that in 2 years he's somewhere close to 40% from long distance.

Reaction Score

Was he thinking of Gibbs?

Yes, we have been a disappointment this year relative to on-paper expectations over the summer. But Adams isn't even in the Top 5 of culprits.

Reaction Score
True, but guys who shoot a good % from the stripe usually improve dramatically from behind the arc during their college years. And Jalen's over 83% from the line, plus his mechanics are good.

I'll wager that in 2 years he's somewhere close to 40% from long distance.
I think he can improve, Kemba was 27% shooter from 3 his freshman year, but Jalen is going to have to put in a lot of time over the offseason. Right now, outside of 4 feet from the hoop I have no faith in him being able to score the ball.

I think he will put in the time and become a much better shooter, but right now he is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom