Jalen Needs To Play 40 Minutes | The Boneyard

Jalen Needs To Play 40 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He is by far the best player on this team and the only one that creates something on offense (besides Shonn). The kid needs to play all 40 minutes if we want to start scoring the ball again.
40 is probably a bit much. 35-38 would be good with me.

Reaction Score
Why Omar is starting and not him is beyond me. With the way Omar has played he is a great 6th man off the bench to start scoring. Jalen needs to be on the court for a solid 32 minutes at least

Reaction Score
he needs more than 30. He needs to play 36+ for us to have a good chance of making noise in March
Agreed but Ollie will give much of PG duties to Gibbs so just hoping for the next best thing. If Gibbs keeps the ball with clock winding down, does it really matter if Adams is playing?

Reaction Score
Agreed but Ollie will give much of PG duties to Gibbs so just hoping for the next best thing. If Gibbs keeps the ball with clock winding down, does it really matter if Adams is playing?
Thats exactly why JA needs to start taking over in those situations. He needs to step up and become the floor general and demand the ball in situations like that. Gibbs is too selfish and cannot beat his man when he needs to. Hes too slow

Reaction Score
It ain't the minutes its how he's utilized. He should never play off the ball when playing, and I mean never.

The mistakes are forgiving because he's a freshman and I can live with them. He needs the education this year in prep for the next two.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. JA will only step up as much as Ollie will let him. If JA assumes pg duties without Ollies blessing he goes back to the bench. Ollie wants Gibbs at the pg spot. Frustrating. But I would say there are bigger problems than this.

Reaction Score
It's time to hand him the keys to the car. His curfew is lifted. We don't really have a way forward without him leading it. I just hope KO realizes it.

Reaction Score
I just hope KO realizes it.

There was a possession in the second half where Gibbs was pounding the ball at the top of the key, and Ollie was hopping mad (literally) to get him to run a play. Eventually the ball found its way into Adams's hands, who drove and finished a tough runner.

Maybe that's the turning point where Ollie says "OK, enough is enough, sorry Sterling, we're not going down with you at the helm". It would be better late than never, but we'll have to wait a few days to see whether Ollie actually makes the necessary adjustment.

Reaction Score
It's time to hand him the keys to the car. His curfew is lifted. We don't really have a way forward without him leading it. I just hope KO realizes it.
Exactly this season is good but marginal (again). Therefore pull the trigger and get ready for the postseason and beyond.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. JA will only step up as much as Ollie will let him. If JA assumes pg duties without Ollies blessing he goes back to the bench. Ollie wants Gibbs at the pg spot. Frustrating. But I would say there are bigger problems than this.

I think point guard play(lack of) is the biggest problem on this team by far.
Ball needs to run thru JA from this point forward for this team to have a chance in March.

Reaction Score
There was a possession in the second half where Gibbs was pounding the ball at the top of the key, and Ollie was hopping mad (literally) to get him to run a play. Eventually the ball found its way into Adams's hands, who drove and finished a tough runner.

Maybe that's the turning point where Ollie says "OK, enough is enough, sorry Sterling, we're not going down with you at the helm". It would be better late than never, but we'll have to wait a few days to see whether Ollie actually makes the necessary adjustment.
But Ollie did not bench Gibbs or correct him. He claps his hands and yells "Come On". Its the opposite of what we are used to seeing for so many years.

Remember Calhoun telling Boat(?) to pass him the fukkin ball. Then pulling Boat over and 'educating' him. I really don't think that play by Gibbs was ever addressed during the game, perhaps in film later.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JA was very impressive today - loved his drive and desire
Not sure if 40 minutes is realistic but I would rather have the ball in his hands now than in Gibbs
SG is not a point guard and neither is RP
JA is the only "true" PG on this team right now so he should probably see more floor time

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I wish Gibbs was 6'5 so he'd play the role he can actually fill. Spot up shooter. Gibbs is just terrible at everything but spot up shooting. He shouldn't play unless Adams gets in foul trouble or is injured.

Reaction Score
We all realize JA best PG does KO not....he must. We gave away this game & gave away the Temple game so KO can make a point? If you know JA is your best PG at this stage of the season why do you not start him? The first 4-5 mins of each half are crucial, JA must be on the floor. Gibbs is a nice player that is being asked to do something he can't. Calhoun is a nice shooter at times but doesn't need to start.

I can't watch this team dribble and pass on the perimeter for 27 seconds....you have to attack from the opening tip, draw fouls, create open shots outside. We can't wait until 12 mins are left in the half to run a good offense. Gibbs can start if promises were made.....but Jalen Adams has to be out there from the opening tip. Come on KO do the right thing...this team needs a PG from the opening tip!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think Ollie wanted Gibbs to go one on one because he had a mismatch.

Reaction Score
Not sure about 40 minutes but definitely 35+. JA in my opinion is the best player on this team and we just play better basketball when he's on the court.

Reaction Score
It ain't the minutes its how he's utilized. He should never play off the ball when playing, and I mean never.

The mistakes are forgiving because he's a freshman and I can live with them. He needs the education this year in prep for the next two.
I completely agree. Jalen and Enoch are two guys who are crucial to next year's success, they need to play through mistakes. KO keeps thinking this team can be special and sacrificing the development of the kids who can make next year's team special. This team is too flawed, let the kids play and be ready to take over the next couple years when it will really matter.

Reaction Score

No there are not. This has been the biggest problem with this team's clogged toilet offense all year. KO refuses to adjust to what is happening on the floor and has stuck with Gibbs far too long because of reputation and seniority, which is unfortunate because there have been flashes all year of how good this team could have been if JA were entrenched by now. This team could have made a deep tourney run if KO had been more proactive in handing JA the keys and riding him no matter what. I've been saying this since November.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Ja needs 32-36 I'd say,I'm not a big fan of some of the line Ups KO puts on the court at times.but, Ja,purvis,dham,Miller and brimah works for me,then Gibbs ,facey,Calhoun first off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom