Jalen Gaffney OV 9/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully get gets out of Florida without committing

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
If we can get him to Storrs that would be huge. That visit in Gainsville scares me though

Reaction Score
I'll take either one. From footage I've seen Gaffney seems like a better true PG but Dawes may have the edge on scoring

Reaction Score
Mike White has watched Damion Baugh a lot lately. Baugh is a big PG who probably fits them better given that they have 2 smaller guards coming in 2018 in Nembhard and Locke. With any luck, he’ll be their guy.

It probably doesn’t mean anything at all, but I also like the fact that he’s had this Florida OV scheduled for a month and has now decided on a UConn visit. Could mean something else is in the works for Florida, but it could also be the dreamer in me.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Mike White has watched Damion Baugh a lot lately. Baugh is a big PG who probably fits them better given that they have 2 smaller guards coming in 2018 in Nembhard and Locke. With any luck, he’ll be their guy.

It probably doesn’t mean anything at all, but I also like the fact that he’s had this Florida OV scheduled for a month and has now decided on a UConn visit. Could mean something else is in the works for Florida, but it could also be the dreamer in me.
Florida is also the leader in the clubhouse for Tre Mann.

To answer OPs question YES you take the Dawes commitment if you can get it. Dawes stock has been sky rocketing since his performances in the 2 and 3rd live periods and at the various camps. He has looked great, has that Uconn GRIT about him.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

I was just about to post something similar. He's been assumed to be a huge UF lean, but they seem to be keeping their options open so this definitely looks like an opening for Hurley to snag him while UF is evaluating other guys.

Reaction Score

I've heard it's better to not be the first official when mutliples are already scheduled....but that's not from ANYONE who has gone through the recruiting process so....

Reaction Score
Florida also offered 2019 PG Tyrell Jones a week ago.

Gaffney is visiting Florida with Bryan Antoine, who is considered a Duke lock. So we pretty much know there's no shot at them pulling off a huge package deal that day either.

I really don't think Florida will get Mann. His handler moved him out of his Gainesville HS. I would be surprised if it isn't Tenn or UNC. It will be a shady battle.

Reaction Score
As i said in the other thread, some players we mentor said it’s common knowledge Tennessee offered Mann 30K.

Just get me his flight info and I’ll happen to be at the Gainesville airport and bump into him lol in uconn gear lol!

Too bad I don't live a few hours away from the Ville anymore...if this was last year I could have popped over there with you.

Reaction Score
Let the visits begin!! We're gonna land some good players!! I'm confident that most of the players we have been paying attention to are going to take OVs. Much respect to the coaching staff for being on point.

Reaction Score
I think we are in really good shape. From a few sources.
How does the staff play it with Dawes visiting first? If the staff maybe favors Gaffney which I think may be the case do they take a commitment from Dawes knowing that would make Gaffney look elsewhere?

Reaction Score
How does the staff play it with Dawes visiting first? If the staff maybe favors Gaffney which I think may be the case do they take a commitment from Dawes knowing that would make Gaffney look elsewhere?

We haven’t had a point guard commit that was not a consensus top 100 point guard and usually top 50 in over 2 decades yet we are rushing to anoint Al Amir Dawes who is sub 200.

Even Gaffney who is very good is not a consensus top 100 player.

The pecking order for Hurley is

Plan A: Rocket Watts/Isaiah Wong
Plan B: Anthony Harris
Plan C: Jalen Gaffney
Plan D: Al Amir Dawes

PS: In no way is it beneficial for Hurley or UCONN to go lower than Plan C.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We haven’t had a point guard commit that was not a consensus top 100 point guard and usually top 50 in over 2 decades yet we are rushing to anoint Al Amir Dawes who is sub 200.

I'll let the staff make recruiting decisions independent of Boneyard Poster Huskymagic, thank you very much.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Until we don't land Watts/Wong/Harris because they all have clear favorites at this point... Gaffney and Daws are acceptable, also considering they'll have time to develop, and they likely won't be too sour about not getting tons of minutes immediately. Every good team that isn't Kentucky/Duke level takes underrated 3 stars, and that will include us.

Reaction Score

Wong and Harris are heavy leans to other schools and consequently Hurley has made less of a priority to see them. I agree with the order you ranked them in terms of talent. But in order of how much Hurley has made an effort to see them I’d rank them Gaffney, Watts, Dawes, Wong, Harris.

Also Dawes is a 4* on ESPN and got an invite to NBA Top 100 camp, so it’s fair to say that his sub 200 rank will go up. Dawes is a lot like Akinjo, and plenty of people were excited for him last year. All 5 of these guards would be good for the program.

Reaction Score

We all want Watts but so does everyone in the country. Gaffney is extremely realistic and I would be pretty damn happy getting him.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Wong and Harris are heavy leans to other schools and consequently Hurley has made less of a priority to see them. I agree with the order you ranked them in terms of talent. But in order of how much Hurley has made an effort to see them I’d rank them Gaffney, Watts, Dawes, Wong, Harris.

Also Dawes is a 4* on ESPN and got an invite to NBA Top 100 camp, so it’s fair to say that his sub 200 rank will go up. Dawes is a lot like Akinjo, and plenty of people were excited for him last year. All 5 of these guards would be good for the program.
Dawes is clearly much more of a plan B than he is C or D. He was the lead guard, led team in points and assists, on one of the better teams in the EYBL east division(NJ Playaz). They beat PSA, NY Lighting, Expressions and played the Rens within 1 point. I think he ended up as the assists leader in the Division. He’s no slouch. He holds offers from most east coast high majors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dawes is clearly much more of a plan B than he is C or D. He was the lead guard, led team in points and assists, on one of the better teams in the EYBL east division(NJ Playaz). They beat PSA, NY Lighting, Expressions and played the Rens within 1 point. I think he ended up as the assists leader in the Division. He’s no slouch. He holds offers from most east coast high majors.

A: Gaffney
B: Dawes.

I think that's really how this is narrowing down.

We'll learn a lot about Hurley's feelings on Dawes after this visit. If he's willing to let him walk to wait for Gaffney, I think that speaks volumes. Would show the staff has confidence in Adams and Rique's shoulder as well.

If we get a Dawes commitment (which I think he would like. He set up an official within hours of the Gaffney announcement), it shows Hurley thinks he can make an impact.

My gut tells me Hurley waits for Gaffney with a conditional Dawes offer. Though I would prefer to take any commitment after recent headaches recruiting. Dawes could be a good off the bench stabilizer. Gaffney is super skinny, but his speed and shooting fit the strategic mould the staff seems to be building.

Plus, we've had good news with rique recently, Hunter's kid is actually very talented, and there's been positive rumblings about Adams coming from work outs. It wouldn't be the WORST thing to go for a higher-rated 2020 guard if we strike out on Gaffney and Dawes has moved on. Would put us one rolled ankle from devastation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom