Jalen & Co @ Houston | The Boneyard

Jalen & Co @ Houston

Reaction Score
Will be heading to Hofheinz for the game tomorrow. Last UConn game I went to was @ SMU - and we all know how that went, hoping I can walk out of the stadium a bit prouder this time.

Also, when your wife asks you why you are huddling in the corner with the throw pillow watching the game, you know you've become invested in the season. I know the only game that has any significance toward the post season is the AAC Final, but for some reason the last two games have me fired up. That anxious feeling that comes with big game anticipation has returned. UConn basketball feels like it's back, and I love it.

Anyone have any keys to winning the rematch? (aside from Jalen's playing this time & don't fall behind by double digits before the first TV timeout...). I think keeping Gray in check is crucial, BUT I still think the bigger threat is Dotson from the outside - our guards are going to have to close out. On offense, I still think getting Facey involved is necessary. It seems like they stopped getting him the ball in the high post - I know we've been going against man defense lately and using brimah to screen high, but Facey has a money jumper, got to find a way to give him the ball in the right positions (unlike Sunday when RP passed it back inside and he traveled). Also looking for VJ to continue opening up after a good night Sunday.

Reaction Score
Key is not letting Dotson and Gray go off on us. Make them work with their points, and hope at least one of them is off an off day.

And attack Gray on defense. He is a horrible defender and gets into foul trouble against good teams.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
we have to be at least .500 to get into the NIT so every game from here on out has major implications into our post season hopes and dreams.

Also getting the 3 seed in the AAC tournament gives us 2 night games at the XL Center which essentially guarantees us 2 sold out rocking crowds. Since we need to win the AACT to make the NCAA's, getting two home environments like that will be crucial.

As insane as this is to say- this might be the biggest regular season conference game for Connecticut since the construction of the current American Athletic Conference.

Reaction Score
Dotson and Gray can light it up. Adams, Vital and Purvis have to stay out on them, and Brimah has to stay on he court so they can worry less about the drive.

Offensively, Jalen has to make Gray play defense. For one, Gray is terrible on defense, and two, it can't hurt to tire him out.

Reaction Score
They're having a "blackout" and the first 500 students get a free shirt. What are they gonna do with the 400 extra shirts?

Mark them up and sell them to a Syracuse fanbase desperate to craft their next regular season fashion statement. Or bedazzale them. Whatever

Reaction Score
I hate to be this guy, but I don't trust the AAC. Houston has a good chance at making the tournament. A win against UConn is important. Look for this game to be frustratingly called in Houston's favor. I don't think it's anti-UConn, I believe they'd do the same for us if the records were reversed.

Reaction Score
Is it me or does Chicken Knowles always have great games or big moments against us? Hate that dude and his name.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is it me or does Chicken Knowles always have great games or big moments against us? Hate that dude and his name.
He always kills us. I just looked up his stats on the year- 8pts 4boards. Expect 25 and 10 and at least 2 banked in threes

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Will be heading to Hofheinz for the game tomorrow. Last UConn game I went to was @ SMU - and we all know how that went, hoping I can walk out of the stadium a bit prouder this time.

Also, when your wife asks you why you are huddling in the corner with the throw pillow watching the game, you know you've become invested in the season. I know the only game that has any significance toward the post season is the AAC Final, but for some reason the last two games have me fired up. That anxious feeling that comes with big game anticipation has returned. UConn basketball feels like it's back, and I love it.

Anyone have any keys to winning the rematch? (aside from Jalen's playing this time & don't fall behind by double digits before the first TV timeout...). I think keeping Gray in check is crucial, BUT I still think the bigger threat is Dotson from the outside - our guards are going to have to close out. On offense, I still think getting Facey involved is necessary. It seems like they stopped getting him the ball in the high post - I know we've been going against man defense lately and using brimah to screen high, but Facey has a money jumper, got to find a way to give him the ball in the right positions (unlike Sunday when RP passed it back inside and he traveled). Also looking for VJ to continue opening up after a good night Sunday.

Join us in Section 109 at Hofheinz. It's the UCONN section behind the Husky bench. We need as many Dawg fans as we can get tomorrow night in Hofheinz. Stop by Calhoun's Rooftop on the UH campus at 6 p.m. for the UCONN pregame event. It's next to the UH law school.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have ZERO respect for Kelvin Sampson
Houston is a thug team and Gray is a punk
The one thing about Gray is that he tends to get frustrated at times and commits stupid fouls.
Its going to be a tough game because Houston shoots very well at home plus UConn does not have a good history there
But I think this UConn team has caught some mojo and could pull this out

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Need Vance to be aggressive on both ends. Vance Christian and jalen can't have sloppy or lazy turnovers. We need to hit free throws

Reaction Score
Need Vance to be aggressive on both ends. Vance Christian and jalen can't have sloppy or lazy turnovers. We need to hit free throws
Agreed. one thing about Kelvin Sampson lead Houston. They get after it.. He wouldn't have it any other way... We gotta use our talents and get after them.. Don't let them take it to us like before....

Reaction Score
If Uconn gets this win...IF....it would be the biggest win of the season to this point without a doubt...(of course beating either cincy or smu later on in the season would trump Houston).

Last game Houston was on fire to start the game, I almost felt like I was watching NBA Jam. I really do not think that happens again but stranger things have happened. Plus JA is back so there is THAT. I have some respect for Houston, but I also know they are beatable*, but Uconn needs to come prepared which does not always happen.

He always kills us. I just looked up his stats on the year- 8pts 4boards. Expect 25 and 10 and at least 2 banked in threes

Meh, 10 points (0-2 from 3), 1 assist, 1 block and 2 boards last game.

*Memphis beat them at home, URI and Tulsa came close and Harvard and Vermont nearly scored a minor upset at Houston..and of course we all know what SMU did.

Reaction Score
Join us in Section 109 at Hofheinz. It's the UCONN section behind the Husky bench. We need as many Dawg fans as we can get tomorrow night in Hofheinz. Stop by Calhoun's Rooftop on the UH campus at 6 p.m. for the UCONN pregame event. It's next to the UH law school.

Awesome, I'll come by Calhoun's. we'll be seated in section 119, guess it's on the opposite side of the bench? Also, spending a good portion of the day at the Space Center, any other hot spots to hit while in town??

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Awesome, I'll come by Calhoun's. we'll be seated in section 119, guess it's on the opposite side of the bench? Also, spending a good portion of the day at the Space Center, any other hot spots to hit while in town??

You won't have any issues with changing seat locations. I just found out tonight they are selling tickets to the game for, get this...2 for $10. No, you can't buy one for $5 like at the grocery store. It's only a 2-fer deal, whether you want the other ticket or not. We sold 90 tickets last year to UConn fans...$6 each. Cougar High ...the biggest bargain in CBB!

What to do in Houston depends on what you're interested in. The Museum of Natural Science is worthwhile. It's at Hermann Park, near the zoo. Midtown has plenty of nightclubs, the uptown area has the Galleria mall with indoor skating rink. The George Ranch in Fort Bend County is interesting. If you're going to the Space Center Galveston is only another half hour from there. It's Mardi Gras time so there will be things going on at The Strand, Galveston's downtown historical District, featuring some of the few structures that survived the 1906 hurricane. There are a lot of great seafood restaurants there along the beachfront. Gaido's is one of the best.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMG_1681.PNG
In case Houston is wondering why the Big 12 chose not to expand.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

Noticed a lot of UConn fans sitting behind the UConn bench at the Liacouras Center in Philly this past weekend and was wondering how I could have sat there. I bought tickets on stubhub in the same section behind the UConn bench but in the upper rows. Maybe there is something I am not aware of for our away games? Was there a UConn pregame event somewhere in Philly too?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a tipping point game. I can't expect a win. Houston is good and is at home. I think the teams are fairly evenly matched.

Should the sled dogs pull this one out, confidence could carry them and allow them to beat SMU and/or Cinci, and maybe even pull off the miracle in the AAC tournament. If they lose it, things don't look as good.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Noticed a lot of UConn fans sitting behind the UConn bench at the Liacouras Center in Philly this past weekend and was wondering how I could have sat there. I bought tickets on stubhub in the same section behind the UConn bench but in the upper rows. Maybe there is something I am not aware of for our away games? Was there a UConn pregame event somewhere in Philly too?

Every school grants a small seat allotment to the visiting team, which varies depending on the size of their arena. If you check with the UCONN ticket office they will likely have away game tickets for sale up to about two weeks prior to the game. UCONN has to return any unsold tickets from the allotment by around then. If you want to find out whether any pregame events are beng held, check the events page at uconnalumni.com. We have alumni groups in some AAC cities...Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Orlando and Tampa. The chances are pretty good there will be an alumni event in those cities in connection with a UCONN basketball or football game. Even if you don't see one scheduled, e-mail the local group to see if they might be having an informal pregame event.

Reaction Score

We need to get to the line first, it's been a weakness for the team, and it has to start with Jalen driving more aggressively to the rim to draw contact and get the foul calls.

Drawing fouls not only gets us to the charity stripe but it also gets the opposing team into early foul trouble. If Gray is guarding Jalen, Jalen should look to be the aggressor and have the refs make some calls. Jalen should get the benefit on calls more often than not because he is a superstar in the league, the problem is that Jalens style of euro steps and floaters and pull up jump shots essentially has him avoid contact with the defender and that's why he doesn't get to the line very often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom