Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having Adams on board is even more of a reason to press for Newman/Stone IMO. I don't think it's an either/or situation.

Although, like Upstater said, a wing may be the biggest priority at this point.

Reaction Score
otp85 said:
So happy to finally have one of them on board. Although I think that if we are expecting him to be Shabazz/Kemba or even a point guard for that matter is inaccurate. I've seen JA play quite a bit and he is better served off the ball and in my opinion is tailor made for the off guard role in our offense, kind of the way Boat was last year. Can he play point, yes, but I honestly don't think he will. His ability to create his own shots and score is certainly his greatest skill and allowing him at freedom off the ball makes him that much more dangerous.

That's why he's a great fit with the bigger point guards we have in the fray - Samuel, Cassell, Jackson. He can score on offense and guard point guards on defense. And Purvis is big enough to be a college 3 if he's still around.

Adams will want to develop point guard skills to play at the next level, so he'll hopefully add to his game over, say, 3 years here and not be an early entry risk until then. That makes him an ideal college player. But you never know - he could also just blow up and be a lottery pick in two which isn't a bad thing either.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
OH HELL YEAHHHHHHHH!

Welcome aboard! The kid just seemed to fit in here too perfectly to not commit. Great stuff.

Reaction Score
So happy to finally have one of them on board. Although I think that if we are expecting him to be Shabazz/Kemba or even a point guard for that matter is inaccurate. I've seen JA play quite a bit and he is better served off the ball and in my opinion is tailor made for the off guard role in our offense, kind of the way Boat was last year.

Can he play point, yes, but I honestly don't think he will. His ability to create his own shots and score is certainly his greatest skill and allowing him at freedom off the ball makes him that much more dangerous.

if he wants to maximize his chances to play at the next level he needs to learn to be a PG. Boat is under the same reconstruction process, all the recruiting/AAU guys who saw Boat play in HS say he's a much different player than he was in HS when all he did was look to score. He's much more under control now and looks to set guys up, Adams will have to undergo the same process while still having the ability to score.

Reaction Score
Hey 3uconn, how do you think this affects william jackson's commitment since unlike prince ali they both play pg?

Reaction Score
Hey 3uconn, how do you think this affects william jackson's commitment since unlike prince ali they both play pg?
All I will say is there have been some rumors that Will may decommit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Welcome Jalen!

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Meanwhile, at the office.....

Reaction Score
That's why he's a great fit with the bigger point guards we have in the fray - Samuel, Cassell, Jackson. He can score on offense and guard point guards on defense.

Could not agree more. Like I said he is tailor made for our system just moved over a spot. Take pressure of him to try and do too much and let him cause havoc with his offensive arsenal off the ball. And you're right, he can defend anyone of the perimeter.

Reaction Score
if he wants to maximize his chances to play at the next level he needs to learn to be a PG. Boat is under the same reconstruction process, all the recruiting/AAU guys who saw Boat play in HS say he's a much different player than he was in HS when all he did was look to score. He's much more under control now and looks to set guys up, Adams will have to undergo the same process while still having the ability to score.

I don't disagree. At 6'2, 170 of he doesn't grow his future in the league is at the point or a combo scorer coming off the bench. And he definitely has the skills do make the transition if he can handle the mentality change. Either way he will do great things at Storrs, I'm fairly certain of that

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Any thoughts about how Jalen's verbal will affect other guards who have been considering UConn? Will he deter both PG's and SG's? I know that guards are not our priority, but it might be nice to pair him with a true PG. Is Jackson really a pure point as was suggested above?

Anyway, hooooooooo haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jalen is an awesome addition and I love to hear that UConn is his dream school (even with Louisville coming to call).

Reaction Score
Nice pickup, great fit and keeps the New England & Great Boston pipeline flowing. Adding Enoch would be another nice piece. I wonder if JA was the guard that KO wanted all along, or if it was a, the first guard (or first two guards) to say yes gets the ship. Regardless the situation, I tend to like getting those recruits that are either modestly ranked and hungry, or ones that started with a modest ranking and move up the list late. They tend to be the hungry ones that play hard and with a chip on their shoulder proving they're every bit as good as the higher ranked recruits at their position. Plus they tend to stick around longer than the top 10 to 15 ranked recruits who are often looking to get out of Dodge as quickly as they can to start playing for pay.

Welcome, JA, our most recent Hungry Husky!

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
All I will say is there have been some rumors that Will may decommit.

Excuse my confusion here. JA is listed as a SG (as was Prince Ali, so I can understand if Prince de-commited bc he heard about JA) and Will is listed as a PG. Why would JA's commitment effect Will's commitment?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Excuse my confusion here. JA is listed as a SG (as was Prince Ali, so I can understand if Prince de-commited bc he heard about JA) and Will is listed as a PG. Why would JA's commitment effect Will's commitment?
There could be multiple things going on. I haven't asked around yet and I'm not sure if I want to because these things are touchy.

Reaction Score
Although JA might be listed as a SG, from all that I've read is really more a Combo Guard. Now CGs can be defined in various ways, but he's likely cut from the same mold as Kemba, Bazz and Boatright, who were all lead guards in HS who would have the ball in their hands to create or deliver to teammates. I tend to like those types of guards as long as they have shown solid instincts to deliver the ball to open teammates who are in good scoring position, but can also create their own offense, taking their man off the dribble and score from 3, midrange and at the rim. In the case with Kemba & Bazz, they were/are more shoot first combos with solid passing skills who can play off the ball, compared to some combos who are more pass first guards (some who are exceptional at delivering the ball to the right teammate) but are capable scorers when needed. The former is the Kemba type combo the ladder is the Steve Nash type lead guard.

There is a 3rd type combo, such as a Ben Gordon, who has PG size, was put at the 1 at times at UConn, but simply lacked the ability to see the floor as far as delivering the ball and running an offense. You can get away with spelling your starting PG for a few minutes with this type of guard, but they are not ideal if your team doesn't have a good lead guard who can stay on the floor for most of the game. From what I've heard about JA, is he's more cut from the Kemba & Bazz type of mold. On a side note, based on what we saw late last season from Boatright, he began his transition to lead guard and I have full confidence that those skills will only get better as the 2014/15 season goes on.

UConn's lead guard situation, both present and future, looks quite bright.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think he gets the keys to the ship day 1. With RB gone and not many other primary ball handler type players on the roster..

Reaction Score
Very excited about the JA commitment. Thanks for the quick summary 3. The next couple months are going to be exciting as KO and the rest of the staff pull this class together. So many coals in the fire and so many different directions they can go. I know I will be staying tuned.

Reaction Score
So happy to finally have one of them on board. Although I think that if we are expecting him to be Shabazz/Kemba or even a point guard for that matter is inaccurate. I've seen JA play quite a bit and he is better served off the ball and in my opinion is tailor made for the off guard role in our offense, kind of the way Boat was last year.

Can he play point, yes, but I honestly don't think he will. His ability to create his own shots and score is certainly his greatest skill and allowing him at freedom off the ball makes him that much more dangerous.
Let's be real we were saying the exact same things in 09-10 with Kemba and after 10-11 after Kemba left re: Bazz, and now with Boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom