Jacobs: What College Team has a Foothold in NY? | The Boneyard

Jacobs: What College Team has a Foothold in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
OK, which one of you guys is actually Tom Marston?

Somebody needs to kick Mr. Marston in his testiculos.

"As far as UConn fans sending a message to the ACC and Big Ten, I'm not convinced it will," said Marston, who wants to see if the American can grow. "UConn has always traveled well to NYC and the Garden but for other venues, not so much, especially in football. Men's and women's basketball no longer sell out every game like they did 10 years ago. Football attendance is down. The practice facilities are fine but Gampel needs to be spruced up and the XL Center needs a major overhaul. No one event, no matter how impressive, will make up for all these other issues."

Reaction Score
OK, which one of you guys is actually Tom Marston?

Somebody needs to kick Mr. Marston in his testiculos.

Yeah what a . Who makes the case against their school to a reporter at a time when your school is getting great headlines?

"Football attendance is down.."

Yeah and why is that? Maybe because we opened a tomb and hired a mummy to destroy the program? Maybe because all our regional rivals have been snatched up by other leagues leaving us with schools we have no geographical connection to like Memphis and USF? Every school would have their attendance negatively affected going through all that.

What do you think football attendance would be if we were in the Big Ten or ACC? I think we found out our answer when Michigan came to town. People would flock. What do you think attendance would be if we actually started winning some games? Good.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah what a . Who makes the case against their school to a reporter at a time when your school is getting great headlines?

"Football attendance is down.."

Unfortunately that is about 40% of this state and 30% of our fanbase.

Too many believe that we are slotted to be what we were 40 years ago and are foolish to aspire to anything else. JC said "It's doable". Unfortunately there are some who have actually seen it yet still do not believe it.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Unfortunately that is about 40% of this state and 30% of our fanbase.

Too many believe that we are slotted to be what we were 40 years ago and are foolish to aspire to anything else. JC said "It's doable". Unfortunately there are some who have actually seen it yet still do not believe it.
I believe!

Reaction Score
THIS!

Listen up, Mr. Swofford. Listen up, Mr. Delany. Listen up the lords of 21st century college athletics There will be a noise in the big city Friday night and you should know who is making it.

Absofreakinlutely this.

Swafford can forever suck it.

Reaction Score
This time, Jacobs got it right!

With the ACC moving to the Barclays, the Big Ten needs to follow suit. A conference tournament in Indianapolis just doesn't generate the same kind of buzz. With the surge in ticket prices this week, there has been some talk about MSG trying to franchise this is some way. Which got me thinking........could MSG approach Delaney and say move to the tournament to MSG, with one caveat.............we need UConn. I don't care how good the ACC thinks it is, a tournament at the Mecca with UConn, Michigan, MSU, Ohio State and Indiana would always be better........

Reaction Score
Well, we are playing a Big12 team tonight. I hope their commissioner is also taking notes. I would welcome an in conference basketball rivalry with Kansas. Come to think of it, Kansas could use a Batman to their Robin.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No to the Big 12. WVU sounds like they are having some buyer's remorse. Wouldn't it be worse for us?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If we could follow this game up with a strong showing at the Yankee Stadium FB game we would really have something to hang our hat on.
I've got my 7... Come on everyone is doing it... You can bring your green hat!

Reaction Score
If possible UConn should book a few games every year in MSG. They could play a ranked opponent at MSG instead of Hartford or maybe run a tournament there similar to the old Connecticut Mutual Classic. We could rotate ACC and Big teams.We need to solidify our importance perception in the NY market. I think it would make a huge difference for us during the next round of realignment.

Reaction Score
No to the Big 12. WVU sounds like they are having some buyer's remorse. Wouldn't it be worse for us?

If It's AAC vs BIG12, I'mVoting BIG12 All Day. As For Wvu, You Think They'd Rather Be WhereWe Are?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I saw that article and would love to know exactly what he is referencing. Either the new leadership (and the NCAA) has been lying to us or he is taking something completely out of context, like the fact that the APR is a rolling number that measures from enrollment to (I believe six years) an anticipated graduation deadline, and is blaming Ollie for sutdent athletes who were long gone before he joined JC's staff (which is very possible).

I'll hold my breath waiting for his followup piece on UNC. Our biggest crime was not trying to job the system.

Reaction Score
I saw that article and would love to know exactly what he is referencing. Either the new leadership (and the NCAA) has been lying to us or he is taking something completely out of context, like the fact that the APR is a rolling number that measures from enrollment to (I believe six years) an anticipated graduation deadline, and is blaming Ollie for sutdent athletes who were long gone before he joined JC's staff (which is very possible).

I'll hold my breath waiting for his followup piece on UNC. Our biggest crime was not trying to job the system.

He is referencing the BS AP article from last week. The article referenced our 4 year APR score, which is still below acceptable, even though the last 3 APR scores are approx. 980, 950, and 1000. The article never mentioned that a 2 year APR scores above 930 is also acceptable.

Leadership promptly responded to this bogus article.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1972430_609672749112548_900892901_n.jpg

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Re-dredging the past - good work, Daily News

Thanks, Bondy

From the article:
"Ollie says he owes a lot of people. One of them he shouldn’t bother thanking is Jim Calhoun."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Go get 'em boys!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I agree, due to the overwhelming ticket response. UConn creates their own MSG matchup. Winner gets the Keys to the City. Make it a whole NY thing, get creative. Sign a 10 yr deal & challenge teams that have won multiple championships to try and take the Keys from us! Sorry Cuse, one Carmelo fluke won't due.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Huskies’ graduation rate this year, according to the Institute for Ethics and Diversity, is 8%

So what does this mean? 2 kids graduated off the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom