Jacobs weighs in on candidate list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs weighs in on candidate list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diaco has to be a strong candidate. Kirk Ferentz, HC at Iowa is a UCONN alum and was captain of the football team.

But Diaco played for Hayden Fry not KF.

Reaction Score
Something must be amiss with Diaco. He seemed such a natural fit for BC but they took Addazio. Don't get all warapped up in these names. The coach may very well come from none of them.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
All these name just shows you something.

Despite hometown beat reporters wishing that a competent DC or OC stays in a servile position, there are MANY more quality candidates than head coaching positions available. There are really only 120 FBS positions filled. How many openings?. Even including MAC type jobs like the one recently filled at Miami of Ohio, the ability to run your own program is a rarity. Between the 240 OC and DC's at these schools, and the out of coaching guys, the nfl guys, there is a sufeit of talent available.

Clawson, Lembo, Marduzzi, DIaco, Herman, Mazzone, Nutt, Don Brown, Kiffin, Matt Cambell, Ron English, Turner Gill, Kirby Smart, Chad Morris, Weist, Ambrose, the list goes on and on of guys that want to run their own program.

I will say it: the UCONN job right now is better than Narduzzi. Narduzzi would be fortunate to get a head coaching job at a school with great donors, great support (more season ticket holders than Rutgers, who would have thunk that?), outstanding facilities, and of course $2 million.

If, e.g., Clawson ends up at Wake, what then for Narduzzi? Give up another year of his life to be an assistant making 25% of the amount that other's make? Roll the dice that MSU stays strong, that his name stays hot? That he doesn't become one of the hotshot flash in the pan coordinators that are more common than a VH1 one hit wonder?

UCONN is in the driver's seat due to money, circumstance, and most importantly, scarcity of supply of head coaching jobs.

UCONN with their brand, and importantly, their dollars, is in the driver's seat.

Are you John Silver?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Jacobs tweeted an October 31 article that basically stated MSU will hire Narduzzi to be its next great warrior king. HAd one thinking that if he comes here it was to learn a bit of the HC position.

I am not naive to think UConn is not a stepping stone gig right now. This is why the next coach will not excite me much. I expect them to leave in 4 years at most.

Reaction Score
I have absolutely no problem with being a stepping stone.

How many coaches has Cincinnati had the last ten years? They win 8-9 games every year. If you hire the right guy each time that guy will be motivated to prove himself even if it is a stepping stone.

If you hire a washed up old look squinty eyed mummy who hasn't coached in a decade than you got a problem.

Reaction Score
I have zero interest in Diaco. None whatsoever.

Diaco is a great coach. ND's defense took a hit this year but they had about 10 injuries on defense alone. Remains to be seen whether he can run an FBS program but the same can be said of Narduzzi

Reaction Score
CTfan07 said:
Diaco is a great coach. ND's defense took a hit this year but they had about 10 injuries on defense alone. Remains to be seen whether he can run an FBS program but the same can be said of Narduzzi

I have no idea how he will motivate players. All he motivates me to do is sleep.

Reaction Score
But Diaco played for Hayden Fry not KF.
I know that, but that being said, Ferentz was Fry's protege forever so even while Ferentz was coaching elsewhere, I'm sure he knew Diaco. And now with Ferentz being a UCONN alum and former player, he could be playing a role in who Warde hires. Didn't Warde say he consulted with former players?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate