Jacobs weighs in on candidate list | The Boneyard

Jacobs weighs in on candidate list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@jacobscourant All the Narduzzi, Clawson and Lembo speculation legit. Just don't jump from there to Weist or Ambrose. Remember Ohio St Herman & ND Diaco.

The last 2 sentences say a lot!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Very...comforting! Glad to see the last three months haven't been wasted.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant 33m

Saw report where Clawson not in play at UConn. If true, he's either in at Wake or said no to UConn. UConn definitely was interested. Fact.

Edit to add:

Medic must be in the bathroom, or he's slipping.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant 33m

Saw report where Clawson not in play at UConn. If true, he's either in at Wake or said no to UConn. UConn definitely was interested. Fact.

Edit to add:

Medic must be in the bathroom, or he's slipping.

Nah... just tagged them into other existing threads... :oops:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
@jacobscourant All the Narduzzi, Clawson and Lembo speculation legit. Just don't jump from there to Weist or Ambrose. Remember Ohio St Herman & ND Diaco.

The last 2 sentences say a lot!

Diaco is Narduzzi a year later.

I think Herman fits the bill of what WM has mentioned about a high octane offensive attack. He can do more than just coach a dual threat.

Reaction Score
I have no problem if Warde hires Clawson or Narduzzi or etc. That said, I also have no problem if he hires Weist. In my book Weist would be an excellent hire. Perhaps not as good as Narduzzi,etc but still excellent. I believe Weist saved the season and by doing that he saved a lot more such as perception, incoming recruits, etc. I just don't understand all the negative comments about Weist.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diaco is an interesting candidate.

Born in NJ, played at Iowa. Coaching stints at Iowa, the directional Michigans, Virginia, Cincy, NDU.

Only 40 years old.

Reaction Score

Born in NJ, played at Iowa. Coaching stints at Iowa, the directional Michigans, Virginia, Cincy, NDU.

Only 40 years old.

Cincy? They had some all-star staff apparently or everybody just fell in love with their success.

Reaction Score
WOuld someone mind interpreting that tweet please?

Reaction Score
Cincy? They had some all-star staff apparently or everybody just fell in love with their success.
He was DC there and then followed Kelly to ND in the same capacity. Narduzzi was DC for Dantonio there and followed him to MSU

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I think outside of Narduzzi and Clawson, then I favor Weist. Diaco is interesting, I would like to know more.

Would love to know what Weist would do if hired in terms of the rest of the staff.

Reaction Score
He was DC there and then followed Kelly to ND in the same capacity. Narduzzi was DC for Dantonio there and followed him to MSU

And Quinn to Buffalo.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
WOuld someone mind interpreting that tweet please?
The intial tweet. Jacobs is just saying that Narduzzi, Clawson and Lembo are definitely candidates from the job, but if they don't take the UConn job, then that doesn't mean that UConn's gonna stop looking at the big boys there and "settle" on taking Weist or Ambrose. Herman and Diaco are also in play.

PS - I would be fine with Weist. Ambrose would be harder pill to swallow, but I wouldn't run for the hills.

Reaction Score
All these name just shows you something.

Despite hometown beat reporters wishing that a competent DC or OC stays in a servile position, there are MANY more quality candidates than head coaching positions available. There are really only 120 FBS positions filled. How many openings?. Even including MAC type jobs like the one recently filled at Miami of Ohio, the ability to run your own program is a rarity. Between the 240 OC and DC's at these schools, and the out of coaching guys, the nfl guys, there is a sufeit of talent available.

Clawson, Lembo, Marduzzi, DIaco, Herman, Mazzone, Nutt, Don Brown, Kiffin, Matt Cambell, Ron English, Turner Gill, Kirby Smart, Chad Morris, Weist, Ambrose, the list goes on and on of guys that want to run their own program.

I will say it: the UCONN job right now is better than Narduzzi. Narduzzi would be fortunate to get a head coaching job at a school with great donors, great support (more season ticket holders than Rutgers, who would have thunk that?), outstanding facilities, and of course $2 million.

If, e.g., Clawson ends up at Wake, what then for Narduzzi? Give up another year of his life to be an assistant making 25% of the amount that other's make? Roll the dice that MSU stays strong, that his name stays hot? That he doesn't become one of the hotshot flash in the pan coordinators that are more common than a VH1 one hit wonder?

UCONN is in the driver's seat due to money, circumstance, and most importantly, scarcity of supply of head coaching jobs.

UCONN with their brand, and importantly, their dollars, is in the driver's seat.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Weist I think you need look no farther back than the Hockey hire. A lot of similarities between Weist and Berard... and ultimately you could argue Berard did an even better job than Weist. Also look at Warde's hires at Buffalo and his B1G roots. To describe Weist and Ambrose as dark horse candidates would probably be generous.

Reaction Score
Quinn and Diaco were both on Kelly's staff at Cincy the year he left for ND. Quinn was the Broyles Award winner that year

Speaking of Kelly and his assistant coaches:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...sistants-arent-sending-rsums-looking-for-jobs

>>“You know, you never know,” Kelly said. “I know that my coaches won't leave for lateral moves. They'll have to be leadership positions. So I'm certain of that. But if there's a head job out there that makes sense for one of the assistant coaches, I'd look at them. I have really good football coaches. You never know. But, as I said, my guys aren't out sending résumés looking for jobs. If the right situation comes along, all these guys, especially the ones that have been with me a long time, they know what it looks like. They'd be great at running programs.”<<

Reaction Score

Only 40 years old.
Diaco has to be a strong candidate. Kirk Ferentz, HC at Iowa is a UCONN alum and was captain of the football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom