Jacobs: UConn should use effort against USF as a turning point | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: UConn should use effort against USF as a turning point

Reaction Score
There were more than 3 cars. That’s a red flag.
Gotta make sure you're in your town-approved parking spot in your own driveway. Because I know I'd love to live in a town and have them tell me where on my property I'm allowed to park.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don’t root for them.

They played better this week than the prior weeks, who said they didn’t. I’m disputing the idea that it’s a big turning point that means things are going to be better immediately for the rest of the season.

If you think that was a repeatable ‘bend don’t break’ performance.... it was not.
I didn't want to be a Debbie downer this week but im getting a little sick of people still cheering on a loss. Yes, it was an improvement. We still didn't win the game

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, I usually like what you post - but you're wrong on this one. Did you see the Matrix? What made Neo go from being a goth loser who chose the wrong pill to a cyberspace superhero? To quote Morpheus, "He's beginning to believe." Our guys are beginning to believe that they can win. That is the X factor in sports. You can't quantify it, but you can count on it to affect a team. UMass is the perfect team to test their fledging self-confidence. They get a win, maybe a solid win, during that game and things start happening. "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war."

no i didn’t.

that’s the same type of claptrap that Nostical tried to sell when every game was 100-7.

South Florida beat Ill by 6, Tulsa by 1, East Carolina by 7 and now UConn by 8... they beat UMass by 16 and the margin of that victory was the two touchdowns they got off fumbled kickoffs.

Maybe.... and I know this is crazy - but they aren’t that good? And a bunch of other bad teams were competitive with them and have moved right back to blowout city since then?

ECU has lost their next three conference games by a total of 128-36.

Tulsa got pasted by an awful team missing it’s only good player. (arkansas lost to north texas by 27!)

Illinois lost their 3 non-Rutgers games since 158-48.

UMass got drubbed by a Sun Belt transition program at home.

Reaction Score

They played better this week than the prior weeks, who said they didn’t. I’m disputing the idea that it’s a big turning point that means things are going to be better immediately for the rest of the season.

If you think that was a repeatable ‘bend don’t break’ performance.... it was not.
Isn't it possible that both things could be true though? USF could be horribly overrated (which I think they are) and a young team gains a little bit of confidence for hanging with a "top 25" team? We might only win 1 or 2 more games, but I still think this weekend was a net positive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Isn't it possible that both things could be true though? USF could be horribly overrated (which I think they are) and a young team gains a little bit of confidence for hanging with a "top 25" team? We might only win 1 or 2 more games, but I still think this weekend was a net positive.

maybe but every other team that has done the same thing against usf hasn’t shown any positive impact since

Reaction Score

Was the article a bit cheesy? Yes. But throughout sports there are defining performances for a team that can build confidence. There are even plays within a game that can help a team/players start to believe they can accomplish something. I believe what the article was trying to say is what I believe the coaching point will be all week- guys, although we lost we competed. We can build off this. Clean up the mistakes and we can win games. It’s the obvious muse for a media outlet that’s in the business of writing about records, rags to riches phenomenon for a team, etc. I expected an article like that.
To the bend don’t break point- all I was trying to point out was that yielding a lot of yards in a football game can be quite tricky when analyzing it on its face. If you look at our past performances, lots of yards given up equaled tons of points allowed. In this case, it could have been worse had we not turned them over and gotten off the field on 3rd downs.
Again, progress.

Reaction Score
maybe but every other team that has done the same thing against usf hasn’t shown any positive impact since
But honestly Whaler, who cares about what other teams have done since playing USF? I don’t believe we should judge our team based on others that have played our opponents. I look at how we’ve played and judge the progress or regress from week to week. Again, if the team thinks the way you do they’ll be doomed- Well fellas, the other teams that hung around with USF haven’t done too much since. The way we competed means nothing because of that fact. Based on the subsequent results of the other teams that played them let’s not try and build off this and advance our season along. How about we just forfeit Umass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But honestly Whaler, who cares about what other teams have done since playing USF? I don’t believe we should judge our team based on others that have played our opponents. I look at how we’ve played and judge the progress or regress from week to week. Again, if the team thinks the way you do they’ll be doomed- Well fellas, the other teams that hung around with USF haven’t done too much since. The way we competed means nothing because of that fact. Based on the subsequent results of the other teams that played them let’s not try and build off this and advance our season along. How about we just forfeit Umass.

Well if you are telling me being competitive against USF means something predictive about the future... and then ignore the fact that it hasn’t been predictive for other teams in the same situation...

i personally try to keep my worldview aligned with reality but that doesn’t mean you have to.

Reaction Score
Well if you are telling me being competitive against USF means something predictive about the future... and then ignore the fact that it hasn’t been predictive for other teams in the same situation...

i personally try to keep my worldview aligned with reality but that doesn’t mean you have to.
I never said any of that. As an athlete and a team you take it one game at a time. You can even break it down even further to possession/snaps. Being competitive against Alabama doesn’t mean you will go undefeated the rest of the season. But what you do as a team is you take the prior game and try and build off the positives and learn from the mistakes. Again, there were things that this young team displayed (regardless of the opponent) that the coaches can take and build off of. Who knows if we beat umass or not. Being competitive against USF (even if they were legit good) doesn’t guarantee that. And I believe that’s obvious as well. I don’t live in fantasy world. For me, the reality world I live in with regards to sports is: it runs a direct parallel to life. You go out and compete as hard as you can, if you do, win or lose, you’re ahead of the curve. Yes, I’m a fan and I want to see wins all the time. But what I’m also keenly aware of is never to attach my emotions to a bunch of kids that are trying to figure things out. That’s dangerous for mental health. The mere fact that they competed harder than they have in prior games is my litmus test for success or failure. Sometimes when you go hard you still lose because the other team is just better. I can live with that. I’m a grown man and more than wins and losses I root for these kids to succeed in life. So I want them to ignore their youth and go out there and compete on the field and in the classroom. But I do believe they have the talent to win more games than they lose down the road
I’m excited to see how it plays out for them.

Reaction Score

I agree, but this was the first game since UCF we saw some gang tackling. We saw Robert King play which makes me ask, why he hadn't played over guys who tackle air. He at least tackled semi well or hung on for dear life. Also broke up a pass or two.

My expectations are low. Play hard and hustle to the ball. Tyler Coyle also looks like he belongs in the secondary. So does Fortt and maybe Swenson. There are some young pieces to build on for next year.

Hope they beat UMass.

Reaction Score
I agree, but this was the first game since UCF we saw some gang tackling. We saw Robert King play which makes me ask, why he hadn't played over guys who tackle air. He at least tackled semi well or hung on for dear life. Also broke up a pass or two.

My expectations are low. Play hard and hustle to the ball. Tyler Coyle also looks like he belongs in the secondary. So does Fortt and maybe Swenson. There are some young pieces to build on for next year.

Hope they beat UMass.
Agreed. Looks like they went with a nickel package that had five true DB’s. Perhaps they stick with that.
No coincidence that the guys you mentioned aren’t true freshmen.
There are definitely some pieces to build off of. I believe next year a lot of these freshmen/soph will make strides.
There’s talent in the cupboard.

Reaction Score
This was the first game where a 1-A team did not put in their JV team to finish the game. This was a game where our incredibly porous D had a goose egg going for nearly a half. Is USF a top 20 team - unlikely. Neither is Cincy, or Boise. But for the first time this year, we looked like we belonged. And if Hergy stays onsides, ......

Will this bring us to glory, unlikely. But if the argument is this was not a step forward, then I will respectfully disagree. For kids who had to be questioning whether they even belonged on the field, this should give them the confidence to know they can compete and, in time, win.

Reaction Score
This was the first game where a 1-A team did not put in their JV team to finish the game. This was a game where our incredibly porous D had a goose egg going for nearly a half. Is USF a top 20 team - unlikely. Neither is Cincy, or Boise. But for the first time this year, we looked like we belonged. And if Hergy stays onsides, .

Will this bring us to glory, unlikely. But if the argument is this was not a step forward, then I will respectfully disagree. For kids who had to be questioning whether they even belonged on the field, this should give them the confidence to know they can compete and, in time, win.
This

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is the correct answer. I predicted we'd cover because USF is the worst FBS team we've played, despite the ranking and undefeated record. That, plus a bye week to really prepare spelled an opportunity for UConn to be competitive. And we were. But guys gang tackling for a change and forcing punts was not an illusion, nor was the offense. UConn did play the best game the Huskies have played all year, by a lot.

There is room for optimism coming into Homecoming against UMass. I think they turned the corner.

Reaction Score
We were 33 point dogs and lost by 8. That's a lot better than being a 30 point dog that loses by 50.

So I agree with both you guys - this was undoubtedly a high point, but I agree with whaler in principle that we should tread with caution regarding anything having to do with South Florida. Even though statistically they're far from the worst team we'll play, I had a weird feeling all week that this game would be competitive.

But you could still sign me up for 1-4 from here on out and I think everyone should take that. The other teams in our league are bad and we're historically bad. Last week was a good first step in making that progression but I'll need to see more before I start expecting a true turning point. That most likely won't come until next year.

The fact were were 33 point dog to USF, a team we have played competively more often than not, is the issue. They are not better, we are just much worse than we have been in the past.

Next week will tell the tale.

Reaction Score
I was out to dinner Saturday night, and was asked if would like the establishment to turn on the game. I said, "no, I'd like to enjoy my dinner."

I got home in time for the 4th Quarter. I didn't vomit.

Reaction Score
The more idiots who proclaim competiting with South Florida means something the worse the rest of the season gets.

It wasn’t a turning point, it wasn’t an inflection point, it wasn’t a sign of huge wins to come.

It was a game against an overrated team who slept through the game.

They got gashed for 611 yards. Stop.

They looked and tackled better. David Pindell & Kevin Mensah looked strong in FBS football - YES USF is overrated.

You have to find improvement here. Otherwise YOU are just a FRIGGING whiner about a University/State/Institution who is gonna flush $300m in Capital Investment down the drain in some crazy notion that the 30 Universities that invested huge in FBS football since 1993 had no idea what they are doing.

Folks. We have to root and pray for improvement. And, there was reason to believe USF was a building block.

(for the record ... I don't give a lot of credence to the Eli Thomas was our motivation spin)

Reaction Score
The tackling was objectively better. Like they were trying to tackle folks. That by itself (if it continues) should matter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They looked and tackled better. David Pindell & Kevin Mensah looked strong in FBS football - YES USF is overrated.

You have to find improvement here. Otherwise YOU are just a FRIGGING whiner about a University/State/Institution who is gonna flush $300m in Capital Investment down the drain in some crazy notion that the 30 Universities that invested huge in FBS football since 1993 had no idea what they are doing.

Folks. We have to root and pray for improvement. And, there was reason to believe USF was a building block.

(for the record ... I don't give a lot of credence to the Eli Thomas was our motivation spin)

lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom