Jacobs on Flipper... a good take | The Boneyard

Jacobs on Flipper... a good take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC has problems in their own market that have nothing to do with Uconn. Boston (like New York) is a pro sports city. Few in the Boston market give a damn about BC sports with the Sox, Patriots, Bruins, and Celtics grabbing the sports headlines 12 months a year.
Uconn dominates the sports scene in Connecticut. Law suit aside, we are a state university with unlimited funding potential so it is no wonder Flipper would object to Uconn joining the ACC; a conference where BC is already struggling to compete. Flipper has to be worried about losing his job and it wouldn't surprise me to see him out at BC sometime soon even if he doesn't stick his foot in his mouth again.

Reaction Score
I'd bet DeFilippo will be out of work VERY soon judging from that hastliy released appology letter and the chatter on the BC boards.

Reaction Score
I'd bet DeFilippo will be out of work VERY soon judging from that hastliy released appology letter and the chatter on the BC boards.
I was thinking the same thing, but then BC must be in a bit of a pickle here. They can not be happy with his behavior/judgment re: the Globe article. Also, his on the job performance has been sub par (poor coaching decisions, declining athletics - save Hockey - in all BC primary sports, declining attendance, etc...). However, does BC decide they need to keep Flipper close until the ESPN business/ACC expansion calms down. Last thing BC and the ACC wants is Flipper on the street, pissed off at the world, and spouting his mouth off about everyhting he really knows about expansion, ESPN's direction to the ACC, etc... I'm sure if they term'd him he'd get a nice severance, with a caveat that he sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) tha would forfeit his severance if he discusses any BC/ACC business, but as he's proven before, he's got kind of a big mouth and bad judgment. He's more dangerous to BC and the ACC unemployed than he is employed. My sense is that GDF's "resignation" won't happen for a year or two.

Reaction Score
Flipper is a pezzonovante. In Sicilian slang I believe that means a buck ninety, ie. not even two dollars

Reaction Score
As much as I thing Jacobs is a disgrace to the profession, he's absolutely nailed it in the articles he's wrote about the ACC/expansion.

Reaction Score
As much as I thing Jacobs is a disgrace to the profession, he's absolutely nailed it in the articles he's wrote about the ACC/expansion.

Disgrace might be pushing it a little bit, no?

Reaction Score
I'm sure Fr. Leahy is up at night worrying about transfers and the grades of our basketball players.

Reaction Score
Considering he uses the Courant to blatantly push his personal agendas, no, I don't think it is.
Overall Jacobs does a pretty good job IMO. Uconn fans don't just like it when he calls out our program on mistakes and we have had more than our share of problems. Jacobs was much more vocal, critical and biased on the Whalers leaving way past the point when anyone else cared.
The fact that he and JC are not exactly buddies is a probably a good thing. We get enough rose colored information from Uconn people and whether or not you agree with Jacobs, he provides a diffferent perspective.

Reaction Score
Overall Jacobs does a pretty good job IMO. Uconn fans don't just like it when he calls out our program on mistakes and we have had more than our share of problems. Jacobs was much more vocal, critical and biased on the Whalers leaving way past the point when anyone else cared.
The fact that he and JC are not exactly buddies is a probably a good thing. We get enough rose colored information from Uconn people and whether or not you agree with Jacobs, he provides a diffferent perspective.
Good call. Even if I don't always agree, you need a gadfly of the state...

Edit: well take my comparison of Jacobs to Socrates with a grain of salt... Lol.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hasn't Flipper just validated everything we've said about him and BCU over the last few years? They lie, backstab and are scared sh!tless about UConn. They never got over to losing to UConn in hoop for an entire decade.

Reaction Score
It's not that he calls out Calhoun/UConn - I think that's a good thing (and wish more of the local writers would have the stones to do it, at least on occasion).

But when you write 3, 4, or 5 articles in a row saying the same thing, well let's just say your agenda becomes pretty transparent at that point. That, to me, is why Jacobs is completely unprofessional.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I view him as I do Dan Shaugnessy of the Globe. Usually too smug and full of himself, but occasionally insightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom