Jacobs is back | The Boneyard

Jacobs is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Courant requested documents "from Jan. 1, 2016 to the present." Is this an error? Why didn't they request documents from Jan.1 2015 to the present"?

This does not make sense to me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Courant requested documents "from Jan. 1, 2016 to the present." Is this an error? Why didn't they request documents from Jan.1 2015 to the present"?

It's because the Courant is complicit with UConn administration not to look where they are not supposed to look.

The article mentions that K State president met with Herbst in November. Why wouldn't they ask to go back three more months to see if there was any electronic communication that corresponded with a physical meeting?

Reaction Score
It's because the Courant is complicit with UConn administration not to look where they are not supposed to look.

The article mentions that K State president met with Herbst in November. Why wouldn't they ask to go back three more months to see if there was any electronic communication that corresponded with a physical meeting?

Either the story is incorrect regarding the date or the Courant isn't trying too hard.

Tell the truth, Jeff Jacobs. Calling you out.

Reaction Score

Yea seems like that must be a typo

Unless it's an elaborate ruse and Jeff Jacobs is in on it!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
TLDR:

Jacobs: big 12 asked, UConn, others answered.

Herbst: Of course we're making an effort, we don't speak about it because we aren't balloon knots

TV network analysis is a really good sign.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
UCONN has done the conference realignment scene quietly since the ACC debacle. While we are all emotionally invested as fans, we need to let the professionals do their job. We aren't privvy to behind the scenes conversations and maybe we shouldn't be. People pounding their chest for FOI need to take a step back and ask- why do I need to know? What will that do to the outcome?

If Cinnci does not get into the Big 12, what will happen to Santa Ono? He will look like the biggest buffoon in the room of buffoons. I like UCONN's approach - quiet and hopefully effective.

Reaction Score
UCONN has done the conference realignment scene quietly since the ACC debacle. While we are all emotionally invested as fans, we need to let the professionals do their job. We aren't privvy to behind the scenes conversations and maybe we shouldn't be. People pounding their chest for FOI need to take a step back and ask- why do I need to know? What will that do to the outcome?

If Cinnci does not get into the Big 12, what will happen to Santa Ono? He will look like the biggest buffoon in the room of buffoons. I like UCONN's approach - quiet and hopefully effective.

+1

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, what would happen if an institution doesn't end up releasing everything they are supposed to after a FOI is filed? Is it a financial slap on the wrist or worse? Just curious because if it's not the end of the world, I don't see why they'd release things they know will get them in hot water with whatever conference they may be negotiating or speaking with.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, what would happen if an institution doesn't end up releasing everything they are supposed to after a FOI is filed? Is it a financial slap on the wrist or worse? Just curious because if it's not the end of the world, I don't see why they'd release things they know will get them in hot water with whatever conference they may be negotiating or speaking with.

The article mentions that when UConn held a double secret probation budget meeting closed to the public they were basically given a talking to. So maybe the repercussions aren't too serious?

Or maybe they're able to avoid turning them over due to ongoing negotiation and rather than cite that reason, just claim they have no documents at all?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

officer_barbrady.gif

Reaction Score

Federal law does not provide for fines or monetary penalties in the instance of a FOIA violation. Typically the remedy is an immediate injunction and forced release of the records.

That said, many states do have statutes that provide for fines and monetary damages in the instance a FOIA request or similar state public record disclosure law is violated. Amount ranges but could be anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars in penalties depending on number of requests vilolatrd and the severity.

I am not 100% positive, but I think CT does have the ability to award monetary damages to individuals who were denied records based on a violation of An open records law.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jacobs: "Obviously, the school is not communicating about realignment via official email, etc. Yet only a fool would believe UConn hasn't engaged the Big 12 and other conferences in some other ways."

Boneyard: "Pina Coladas and donuts"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I keep going back to the online story to see if they changed the date.

Look, I'm not saying that I agree with an FOI request. But to write an entire story based on the fact that the Courant didn't get anything, when they used a date of January 1, 2016, does not make sense.

Reaction Score

Either the story is incorrect regarding the date or the Courant isn't trying too hard.

Tell the truth, Jeff Jacobs. Calling you out.

I keep going back to the online story to see if they changed the date.

Look, I'm not saying that I agree with an FOI request. But to write an entire story based on the fact that the Courant didn't get anything, when they used a date of January 1, 2016, does not make sense.
It says right in the article that the FOI request was for a "relatively short amount of time" but that it was a "key period going into Big 12 meetings".

It's not a typo.

Reaction Score
It says right in the article that the FOI request was for a "relatively short amount of time" but that it was a "key period going into Big 12 meetings".

It's not a typo.

Was that in the original story? I missed it.

Jeff Jacobs says: "The in-depth Enquirer story this week gave some fascinating insight into things Cincinnati and its president, Santa Ono, have done to impress the Big 12. "

And because the Courant used a date of January 1, 2016, we didn't get a story with fascinating insights.

Edited to add: The article doesn't say that it was edited but it now shows a time of 10:35 PM.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was that in the original story? I missed it.

Jeff Jacobs says: "The in-depth Enquirer story this week gave some fascinating insight into things Cincinnati and its president, Santa Ono, have done to impress the Big 12. "

And because the Courant used a date of January 1, 2016, we didn't get a story with fascinating insights.
I don't think it was a mistake that the request was for such a short time window.

Seems to me that was probably by design. If there's good news or no news, there's no use in revealing it now and risking harm to our candidacy. Now, if we get passed over again, I think we'd want to see what really went on.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm quite glad Herbst isn't running around posting on Twitter like a 15-year-old about how awesome every restaurant in Austin is and taking selfies with Big 12 hobnobbers.
Santa Ono's twitter is Dad-level cringeworthy. He should take notes from Shulz.

Reaction Score
The Courant and other dying publications strive to drum up website clicks, readership, etc. and almost anything regarding conference realignment and UConn clearly inspires interest. So, it's somewhat understandable why the Courant might file a CT FOIA request for official documents, emails, text messages, etc.

On the other hand, beyond limited intelligence it's challenging at best to comprehend why some people, particularly any ill-informed knucklehead(s) potentially filing their own request(s), could possibly expect to obtain any legitimate insight nor help UConn's plight.

7b162ab3abbadac1a3577969be64584287270e9c411677b5546e8346ab30b0b8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1