Jacobs column today | The Boneyard

Jacobs column today

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For the most part, I usually ignore most of Jeff Jacobs columns, however he made some great points today, comparing Boatright's 6 game suspension with Yancy Gates' same.

LINK

Reaction Score
....interesting column.....the 2nd half was basically an interview with JC about the Cincy/X game happenings....of course JC, as always, won't tell us exactly how he feels.... ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting comment from JC about how the refs usually have set the tone by the six minute mark. That gives the coaches 6 minutes to observe and 34 minutes to adjust.

As much fun as we like to have about JC talking at the speed of light, confusing some timelines and making up words on the fly, the ole Irishmen crunches a bunch of numbers and knows how to incorporate them in to a fluid game.

How many people knew on this board knew JC tracked how many consecutive stops the team has during games? Or that JC wants to know how many times a game Uconn has three consecutive defensive stops or four consecutive defensive stops? We get caught up in FG% defense, blocks, steals, turnovers, possessions per game, points per possession, etc. JC wants numbers that support breaking the will of the opponent.

Best thing about JC is he's usually the smartest guy in the room and tough as nails to boot.

Reaction Score
Great stuff Chin....One stat I will always (sort of) remember (the exact number eludes me, but this is close) was from Ray Allen's final year. UCONN played 33 games that year. They had scoring runs of at least 10-0, forty-five times during that season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great stuff Chin....One stat I will always (sort of) remember (the exact number eludes me, but this is close) was from Ray Allen's final year. UCONN played 33 games that year. They had scoring runs of at least 10-0, forty-five times during that season.
We focused on those runs back then. It seemed like teams played toe to toe for a while and then there would be this knockout punch. Back then we looked at the offense accomplished in those 10-0 runs. Now we are realizing that JC was focusing on the defensive side of the equation.

Reaction Score
"I think AAU basketball has a lot to do with this, most kids are very close. Shabazz Napier played with two of the kids from Harvard. I said [to him], 'That really surprised me. How did you guys communicate?' It was a joke. The point is they know kids everywhere we play."

Classic line. Calhoun must be awesome to play for. Asks for your best and busts your balls at the same time.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We focused on those runs back then. It seemed like teams played toe to toe for a while and then there would be this knockout punch. Back then we looked at the offense accomplished in those 10-0 runs. Now we are realizing that JC was focusing on the defensive side of the equation.

You can't go 10-0 without stopping the other team 3 or 4 consecutive times. 5 more likely.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You can't go 10-0 without stopping the other team 3 or 4 consecutive times. 5 more likely.
I get that. The emphasis was about the offensive effectiveness. Not as much stated about the defense. Naturally both have to exist and have always existed in those runs. It just seems that people are focusing, discussing, the defensive aspect more in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom