Jacobs column on Edsall with player quotes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jacobs column on Edsall with player quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
why did he have a better record than the majority of BCS coaches, despite moving from 1AA?

Because he had a far easier schedule than the majority of BCS coaches. Played in the worst BCS conference and played the weak sisters of the other BCS conferences sprinkled with the Towson State of the world.

You really think its the same going 8-5 with Edsall record as it is in the SEC, Big 12 or Big 11?

Reaction Score
you seem to have forgotten that there's 6 BCS conferences, you can't just cherry pick the best ones. the PAC 10, ACC, and Big12 outside of TX and OU are all pretty comparable to the BE. we may not have that top 10 team, but many BCS teams don't even play the top 10 team in their conference.

he did a good job, why is that so hard for you to admit? admitting you were wrong isn't a sign of weakness, it's as sign of character.

Reaction Score
you seem to have forgotten that there's 6 BCS conferences, you can't just cherry pick the best ones. the PAC 10, ACC, and Big12 outside of TX and OU are all pretty comparable to the BE. we may not have that top 10 team, but many BCS teams don't even play the top 10 team in their conference.

he did a good job, why is that so hard for you to admit? admitting you were wrong isn't a sign of weakness, it's as sign of character.
are you saying The Fonz had no character?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
he did a good job, why is that so hard for you to admit?

I think he didn't suck. Thats different from a "good job"

Reaction Score
There is nothing I could do to make my point more clearly than this post does by making it seem like inheriting the defending league champion can produce a record that can be easily compared to someone inheriting a middle road Colonial team. Obviously, some will get understand that our former coach did not start anywhere near on equal footing to his conference peeers and some will continue to think this is like a video game where a good player can overcome anything immediately so the record is a more indicative of the accomplishment.

You picked the time frame. He had 6 years at Uconn before the time frame you picked. Last 5 years. Team was 17-18. Had two of the worst coaches in AQ recent history amongst the other 7 coaches in the conference. Two others (not amongst the 2 worst) got fired for tieing with Uconn at 5-2 last year. Now its "equal footing". Drop out the oldest year and was 16-12, better but not great; drop out the next oldest year and was 11-10, and so it goes. 50% winning % in league is ok, at a real BCS football school that would get you fired (ask Charlie W and the 'stach).

Reaction Score
I think he didn't suck. Thats different from a "good job"

That's what I have been trying to say. Everytime I see a "how do you know" someone else could have done better than fhcRE or some other drivel I overstate the obvious - he "was no great shakes". "Didn't suck" - gets the essence.

Reaction Score
You picked the time frame. He had 6 years at Uconn before the time frame you picked. Last 5 years. Team was 17-18. Had two of the worst coaches in AQ recent history amongst the other 7 coaches in the conference. Two others (not amongst the 2 worst) got fired for tieing with Uconn at 5-2 last year. Now its "equal footing". Drop out the oldest year and was 16-12, better but not great; drop out the next oldest year and was 11-10, and so it goes. 50% winning % in league is ok, at a real BCS football school that would get you fired (ask Charlie W and the 'stach).

The obvious answer is that he didn't start with a "real BCS football school." He did, however, leave us at a lot, lot, lot closer to that point.

Reaction Score

Can you name another BCS conference where you don't play a ranked conference foe, i.e., BE 2010?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
The obvious answer is that he didn't start with a "real BCS football school." He did, however, leave us at a lot, lot, lot closer to that point.

I'm calling BS. We had real BCS facilites and budgets. I can argue it was a better situation or equal to SU, BCU or Rutgers.

Again, he did better than sucking (SU), not as good as Jags at BCU and about the same as Schinno at Rutgers (didn't suck)

Reaction Score

He was paid to do this over 11 years. Did ok ("didn't suck", stole that from another poster), at best. If he is so good a coach he will turn Maryland around after he drove it into the ground this year. We'll see. If he is just an ok coach, his miserable manner of dealing with media/fans will no allow him to get it done as it will take a "very good" coach to turn this around fast.

Reaction Score
When Edsall was here, I liked him considerably less than most of you guys.

Now that Edsall is gone, I like him considerably more than most of you guys.

The thing is, I don't think it's really my opinion changing here. Now that Edsall left, a handful of posters here have completely forgotten what he did do for us. Was he Chris Peterson? No. Was he Urban Meyer? No. But did he bring us to a level we had never been to before? Yes. Was he a great leader, a great rock, for our state in a time of need (Jazz)? Yes. Is 1 BCS bid and 1 shared BE champ impressive? Yes.

Life isn't black and white. We've got a good coach, who was not a great coach, but he sure as hell wasn't a bad coach - and he was absolutely above average for UConn. Let's give the guy his do.

I gotta admit - after the 2 weeks of hating the guy died off...I've been hoping he wins. Sue me.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Is 1 BCS bid and 1 shared BE champ impressive? Yes.

Is 8-5 with losses to Temple, no quality wins and top 40 finish impressive? No too much

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The difference is, most of them can admit it. Some of them even realize it and change. The guy Randy always got compared to did that, Tom Coughlin.

The reason Tom Coughlin won a Super Bowl as a coach wasn't because he was a drill sergeant. It was because he STOPPED being a drill sergeant and started treating his players with respect. Randy has never done that, and probably never will. That's what he doesn't get.

BTW, implying that having a non-militaristic coach ends you up at Sandusky is disgusting.

A: I was talking about Boeheim.
B: Yes, if you are that hands off you can end up not knowing what was happening with someone who worked for you for decades.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And you guys wonder why we call you apologists. Tsk tsk.

Bruce Carter loves FUCRE btw.

I know that you think apologist is some horrible label, it doesn't much bother me. The players can say anything they like, they are entitled to their opinions... I'm just not really in a hurry to embrace how much better things are after watching the Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Western Michigan and Louisville games. You didn't like Edsall as a player.. that's great. Did you like getting beat by a MAC team at home?

The dozen posts complaining about the quality of teams Edsall beat... um... you do realize that this is probably the worst schedule they have ever played and they have to win a game on the road as a 9 point underdog to even get bowl eligible.... you do realize that right?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I know that you think apologist is some horrible label, it doesn't much bother me. The players can say anything they like, they are entitled to their opinions... I'm just not really in a hurry to embrace how much better things are after watching the Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Western Michigan and Louisville games. You didn't like Edsall as a player.. that's great. Did you like getting beat by a MAC team at home?

The dozen posts complaining about the quality of teams Edsall beat... um... you do realize that this is probably the worst schedule they have ever played and they have to win a game on the road as a 9 point underdog to even get bowl eligible.... you do realize that right?

2-10

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2-10

You can say 2-10 until you are blue in the face. What Edsall does at Maryland, Jacksonville or at Kent State doesn't change what he did at Connecticut.

Or is your supposition that Edsall would have been 2-10 at UConn this year? I don't feel like looking it up, but let me know the last time Edsall lost 3 home games in a season.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
You can say 2-10 until you are blue in the face. What Edsall does at Maryland, Jacksonville or at Kent State doesn't change what he did at Connecticut.

Or is your supposition that Edsall would have been 2-10 at UConn this year? I don't feel like looking it up, but let me know the last time Edsall lost 3 home games in a season.
2-10

Reaction Score
Closer, yes. But how could he not? Just hanging around, you have to get somewhat closer. Who do you think is out there that would have done materially worse? I understand we have improved, but I'm assuming that it didn't take a special talent to do this. PP would have done the same thing, jmo. I like RE. But he left this program in a shambles in the skill department: QB, RB, Receivers, etc. My bet is he would have the same record as PP right now.

Reaction Score

this year

Reaction Score

Do you see me engaging in Pasqualoni worship like you and your compadres worshipped at the feet General Rangoon?

So, I ask, what is your point?
I don't like getting beat by any MAC teams? Didn't your hero General Rangoon get waxed by Temple two years in a row anyways?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you see me engaging in Pasqualoni worship like you and your compadres worshipped at the feet General Rangoon?

So, I ask, what is your point?
I don't like getting beat by any MAC teams? Didn't your hero General Rangoon get waxed by Temple two years in a row anyways?

Oh fun, more Maryland factoids. You guys thought your nickname was so clever, I'm surprised you are now stealing from Maryland fans.

If not bashing every single thing he did and being respectful of pretty decent results is 'worship', then sure we worshipped at his feet.

Point is pretty clear: Johnson and BWW can take their shots at Edsall, but they are 5-6 against a pathetic schedule. If P's approach is so much better why did they come out an lay an absolute egg against Louisville @ home 2 weeks ago when they were still very much in the BCS hunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom